Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Which ones?
Oh, about the sky being blue, about there being fish in the sea......
About the cop and the kid being the same size, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:52 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Or the man who ordered to get his license and then shot for reaching for his license.
South Carolina trooper shot unarmed man, police say - CNN.com

Or John Crawford in the Walmart in Ohio.
You can also use this map in reference to no-knock raids: Botched Paramilitary Police Raids | Cato Institute

I'm sure people will find a way to defend all of these too.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You see, this is getting to be a problem these days: people just ignoring facts that don't fit their narrative.
You can point out that the grand jury didn't indict the cop in Ferguson and people will say, "That doesn't mean anything, that prosecutor was no good, he didn't really try, the grand jury system is broken," or whatever. You can show video of that kid manhandling a shopkeep, people say, "that wasn't even him, he was a good kid, we swear, he wouldn't hurt a fly, the police are just making him out to be a bad guy." You have to stick to the facts, man.
The "facts" you mentioned are:

Ferguson Grand Jury didn't indict - Agreed

Video of that kid - Is it him? Shopkeeper didn't call the cops. Police officer stopped him for jaywalking. Didn't know about the incident at the store (if it was Brown)

Those are all facts. Whose ignoring what here?

The general assertion is that it's in the police departments interest to paint the victim of a shooting as being at fault for the shooting. Cops shoot bad guys who resist. Thus, anybody shot by a Cop is a bad guy who resisted.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:55 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Oh, about the sky being blue, about there being fish in the sea......
About the cop and the kid being the same size, what do you think?
It was crossed out...are you that dense? It's not a claim being made by the article. Whose ignoring inconvenient facts now?

What we did find out though is that the Cop wasn't a small dude.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:55 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Or the man who ordered to get his license and then shot for reaching for his license.
South Carolina trooper shot unarmed man, police say - CNN.com

Or John Crawford in the Walmart in Ohio.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the police never ever mistakenly shoot people or even that their aren't some bad cops, but likewise most don't believe there's some big police conspiracy out there to kill off african Americans or otherwise shoot people with impunity for sh*ts & giggles & using someone of the character of Michael Brown as your reason to cause disruption at best & mayhem at worse is puzzling to most people.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
OK, back on topic here...

If there is indeed a protest tomorrow at Ross Park, I'll be interested to see how it turns out. I say that because it is indeed private property and the mall does not have to allow that inside their doors. With that said, I legitimately wanted to run up there to one store in particular and now I won't be doing that. This isn't great for business for the mall. I'm honestly surprised that the mall hasn't released some sort of statement, but then again, maybe they're trying to avoid it in case these are just "rumors."

Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
It was crossed out...are you that dense? It's not a claim being made by the article. Whose ignoring inconvenient facts now?

What we did find out though is that the Cop wasn't a small dude.
You may want to learn basic reading comprehension before you accuse anyone else of being dense.
Here's what was written in the article: "The most common misconception I’m hearing is that Mike Brown was significantly larger than Officer Wilson. This is incorrect." No, it is not incorrect. A 300 pound person is significantly larger than a 210 pound person.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
OK, back on topic here...

If there is indeed a protest tomorrow at Ross Park, I'll be interested to see how it turns out. I say that because it is indeed private property and the mall does not have to allow that inside their doors. With that said, I legitimately wanted to run up there to one store in particular and now I won't be doing that. This isn't great for business for the mall. I'm honestly surprised that the mall hasn't released some sort of statement, but then again, maybe they're trying to avoid it in case these are just "rumors."
Interesting to see if/how many actually show up to protest. Doesn't sound like anybody from here is going in support.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:03 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that the police never ever mistakenly shoot people, but likewise most don't believe there's some police conspiracy out there to kill off african Americans or otherwise shoot people with impunity for sh*ts & giggles & using someone of the character of Michael Brown as your reason to cause disruption at best & mayhem at worse is puzzling to most people.
There is a great deal of ground between "injustice that needs fixed" and "conspiracy to shoot people with impunity", but we are getting way too close to the later when Garner's killer won't even face a trial. But I wouldn't say the conspiracy is a police conspiracy because the public is electing people who write the laws and run the departments. I think it's gotten to the point where an unwillingness to tolerate disruption in an attempt to make change is effectively cooperating with the problem.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
There was a peaceful protest inside the St. Louis Galleria on Black Friday and there were no problems. Some parents who were out shopping there were interviewed and said that it was a chance to show their kids how a democracy works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh