Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 01:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I wonder if the Stonewall protests blocked traffic and inconvenienced delivery drivers?
Entirely different circumstances. No one is defending Garner or Brown's activities which precipitated police action, just the police tactics are being criticized and the grand juries' decision. The Stonewall riots came about from objections to the New York liquor code which was the reason for the raid on Stonewall in the first place

Further, the Stonewall rioters didn't block the Parkway in Pittsburgh, they knew that the people in Pittsburgh had no influence on criminal law or police raids hundreds of miles away in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 01:31 PM

876 posts, read 1,143,969 times
I don't think protests like this really accomplish much beyond annoying the passerby's in the general vicinity of the protest... but anything that annoys this many Nixionian, "Law and Order" types is fine by me.

Also, bringing a shred of unfiltered democracy to the corporate sterility of a shopping mall is never a bad thing, whether the cause in question is deemed worthy or not by the Cranberrians of the world.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:34 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I don't think protests like this really accomplish much beyond annoying the passerby's in the general vicinity of the protest... but anything that annoys this many Nixionian, "Law and Order" types is fine by me.

Also, bringing a shred of unfiltered democracy to the corporate sterility of a shopping mall is never a bad thing, whether the cause in question is deemed worthy or not by the Cranberrians of the world.
Funny stuff.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:35 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Dozens Protest At Ross Park Mall « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM

876 posts, read 1,143,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So what did everyone have for breakfast this morning? I had a healthy dose of white privilege infused into my mocha frappucino while doing laundry in Bloomfield with other working-class people who were oozing white privilege. It was totes delish!
I find the term "white privilege" to be divisive, clumsy, and more than a bit dismissive of the economic struggles of poor and working-class white people. However, using the talking points of "guilty white liberals" to help dismiss the indisputable racial biases present in the American judicial system is utterly reprehensible.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:40 PM

387 posts, read 408,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Just reading the comments section below gives one little hope that things could possibly change for the better.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:59 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Just reading the comments section below gives one little hope that things could possibly change for the better.
You're not kidding, just read them. Sad that there are so many out there like that.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:50 PM

49 posts, read 84,803 times
The mall is open to the public. I don't think there is much they can do about it if they protest peacefully. As long as they are not interfering with businesses by blocking them,harassing the shoppers or soliciting with out permission of the mall management I don't think there is anything they can do. The protesters are exercising their right to freedom of speech and that is a protected right. The mall does not have the right to take that away unless they can prove that the protestors are interfering with the business at the mall. And I also guarantee that the mall will welcome the peaceful protestors. When they get thirsty or hungry they will go to the food court. If they see something they like on sale while they go to attend the protest they will buy it. Some of them will probably Christmas shop when they are there. Peaceful protests would only benefit the mall because it will bring more money in. So don't count on them getting kicked out.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:52 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Entirely different circumstances. No one is defending Garner or Brown's activities which precipitated police action, just the police tactics are being criticized and the grand juries' decision.
What actions exactly, Jaywalking and breaking up a fight? Remember, the officer who shot Mike Brow knew only that he was jaywalking and that's why he stopped him. Garner has later been "accused" of selling loose cigarettes but in the video he denies it and I've seen no actual proof that he was. Regardless, police "tactics" are being criticized to the extent that these men were stopped and questioned at all not just for the ridiculous escalation of force that followed both initial encounters.

Quote:
The Stonewall riots came about from objections to the New York liquor code which was the reason for the raid on Stonewall in the first place
Sure, you can be overly technical about the reason for the "raid" which was just an excuse to hassle homosexuals. In the larger context, it's about disparate treatment of marginalized social groups by agents of the government whom society has granted extraordinary power to deprive a citizen's liberty. When viewed through a slightly larger prism they share many aspects.

Quote:
Further, the Stonewall rioters didn't block the Parkway in Pittsburgh, they knew that the people in Pittsburgh had no influence on criminal law or police raids hundreds of miles away in New York.
I disheartened to read that you don't feel Pittsburgh is also burdened by police officers shooting and beating unarmed citizens. I see it as a national policing issue and understand why the protests are nationwide. Concerned citizens shouldn't have to wait until the next time it happens in this City before making their voices heard.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I disheartened to read that you don't feel Pittsburgh is also burdened by police officers shooting and beating unarmed citizens. I see it as a national policing issue and understand why the protests are nationwide. Concerned citizens shouldn't have to wait until the next time it happens in this City before making their voices heard.

We don't have a national policing problem, since we don't have a national police. Some police are too aggressive, but that's the way its always been. Some communities expect a more proactive PD, others not so much.

When I was a young man, Millvale had a young officer who was convicted of "official oppression" here in Allegheny County. Many members of the community still like him. The situation blew over for the officer, he moved upstate to the city of Cochranton and served for many years as their police chief.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Google News Archive Search

As far as the local police today, there is a new police chief in Pittsburgh, someone with a new approach-we'll see how it works out. But going out to Ross Township to complain doesn't mean anything, they have their own cops out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh