Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM

281 posts, read 338,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm sorry, but from everything I've read it seems to me like what happened in NYC was a tragic accident---not that the cop intentionally wanted to kill that man either because he was on a power-trip or hated African-Americans. The "chokehold" was idiotic to have done, but it wouldn't have resulted in death for 99.9999% of the U.S. population. Disrupting the daily lives of millions of Americans to protest "racist cops" seems counter-productive to me since people like me start hating the protesters instead of hating the cops.

It's always interesting to watch the majority tell the minority how they should perceive and air grievances. How do you feel about straight people who don't understand your life telling you what you're allowed to want to change, and how you should express it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,973,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The fact that anyone thinks a simple crime of theft and/or assault equals an automatic death sentence without a jury is the most un-American thing I can think of.

You mean a grand jury who is setup to never indict any police officer in homicide in any scenario?

The game is rigged, yet people still refuse to believe that.
In fact if these people were not 1) criminals and 2) did not resist arrest they would both be alive. I am glad the police are there to protect me and the rest of the law abiding citizens.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So those here who agree with the protest will be attending at Ross Park Mall to help promote their belief in it?
That would require doing something more the typing words, so....

Old 12-05-2014, 01:55 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm sorry, but from everything I've read it seems to me like what happened in NYC was a tragic accident---not that the cop intentionally wanted to kill that man either because he was on a power-trip or hated African-Americans.
That's what charges like negligent homicide are for. You didn't mean to kill somebody but they died because you acted stupidly. To describe this instance as an "accident" removes all meaning from the term free will

Quote:
The "chokehold" was idiotic, against department policy and NY law to have done

fixed
Quote:
but it wouldn't have resulted in death for 99.9999% of the U.S. population.
I was unaware that, in your spare time from your happily working 12 job and "not complaining" about things you somehow managed to become a medical examiner with a sub specialty in statistics. Please link to a single shread of evidence that supports this original and inflammatory hypothesis.

Quote:
Disrupting the daily lives of millions of Americans to protest "racist cops" seems counter-productive to me since people like me start hating the protesters instead of hating the cops.
Right...it's counter productive. Let the majority continue on blissfully unaware and don't bother them. Just bury your grievances with society and take them. Your voices are disruptive.

We should protest really important police practices like ticketing delivery vehicles, right? Or maybe you should just take it, sit down and shut up.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
It's always interesting to watch the majority tell the minority how they should perceive and air grievances. How do you feel about straight people who don't understand your life telling you what you're allowed to want to change, and how you should express it?
Protest all you want in a public space but do not interrupt those of us who are patronizing a private business on private property.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Protest all you want in a public space but do not interrupt those of us who are patronizing a private business on private property.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
That would require doing something more the typing words, so....
I don't generally go to the suburbs but was outside the August Wilson center last night.

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
One of my drivers was delayed the other evening due to the protesters shutting down Fifth Avenue in Oakland. We don't receive an hourly wage. We're paid by the order. This delay caused him to do one fewer order than he otherwise would have done, and he took a hit to the pocketbook so some "activists" could revolt against the police. Are the protesters going to band together to donate money to him for the income they cost him?

Some of the people supporting the protesters have no idea what some of the police have to deal with on a day to day basis.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Corporations are people my friend with all the Constitutional rights and responsibilities. The Ross Park mall is the modern day suburban equivalent of a town square...to me it's a very logical place for a protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh