Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Having lived here for most of my life since 1977, I'm still just pinching myself, honestly. I think for a lot of long-time residents, we spent literal decades living in a city that was the butt of jokes....I've been a booster of the city for all of my adult life and I'm finally getting a nice "I told you so!" payoff.
My feelings exactly. When you have had family from big shot places like NYC, Toronto, various European places, and they were to visit my family in our little Pittsburgh slum, I was made to feel so insignificant as if I missed out on something big (my parental units having immigrated to freakin' Uptown rather than Manhattan or beautiful west suburban Cleveland (which it is, actually)). How many times had I heard "Why don't you come live in Toronto?"

F* Toronto, for starters. And the Europeans, now that they HAVE to work and can't retire on 30 day workweeks, suddenly don't jet set around like they once did. Cleveland? Come back and talk to me when the city proper doesn't stink so badly that you would consider moving there.

So yea, it does "soothe" my soul. Deal with it!

I still say - I'll take the miserable homies in this town and still make it work rather than the insane, over-stressed populace of DC or other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 AM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
Just cycle through a dozen the mid-sized and upper-mid cities each year, maybe you'll hit one or two that is right.

lol, Detroit.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:00 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Most of that is old news. For instance, Venice has been expanding for years now. Detroit, Queens, and Houston are the only new trendy cities that I am aware of on the list. I am surprised it took Houston this long to get on the map. Houston is Atlanta, the Texas version.
What drives Houston's success is it is a big jobs creator.No better draw for young people than jobs.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:13 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
No better draw for young people than jobs.
Yep, which is why so many young people move to Northern Virginia each year, realize it sucks, and then move away. Only a select few of a throng of friends I had when I lived in NoVA in 2009 are still there today. An area needs more than just "jobs" to be a good place to live, and Pittsburgh DOES have the advantage of plentiful job opportunities AND a great quality-of-life at an affordable price point.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:22 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Pittsburghers love to gush over their city which means easy page views and social shares. That's really the only reason these fluff pieces are created in the first place for any city: people go "HEY I'M FROM HERE" and share it around. Easy page views.

What I always find odd/sad is how Pittsburgh airport is plastered with "TOP CITY FOR SOMETHING YOU PROBABLY DON'T CARE ABOUT" posters and ads. It's the only airport I've seen that goes out of its way to say, "see, we don't suck!" right as you get off your plane. Other cities don't have to sell themselves and bombard you out of the gate.
Apparently, you've never passed through Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
10 little things that will pack a big Pittsburgh punch in 2015

Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
oh a list neat

Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 AM

41 posts, read 34,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Pittsburghers love to gush over their city which means easy page views and social shares. That's really the only reason these fluff pieces are created in the first place for any city: people go "HEY I'M FROM HERE" and share it around. Easy page views.

What I always find odd/sad is how Pittsburgh airport is plastered with "TOP CITY FOR SOMETHING YOU PROBABLY DON'T CARE ABOUT" posters and ads. It's the only airport I've seen that goes out of its way to say, "see, we don't suck!" right as you get off your plane. Other cities don't have to sell themselves and bombard you out of the gate.
An airport that promotes its region. Imagine that.

But more to the point, as I fly in and out of PIT pretty often, I can't think of even one poster or ad at PIT that you claim are plastered all over the airport. Please share with us the poster and ads you are referring to.

To claim other cities "don't have to sell themselves", implying that other cities DON'T sell themselves, is simply silly.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:25 AM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
One thing I thought was hilarious when I visited Texas (I drove across the state the long way, which I do not really recommend) was that they NEVER let you forget you're in Texas. Texas flags! Texas-shaped everything! Everything is called "Lone Star" this or that. After I was there for a couple days I was like, "Okay, I get it, I'm in Texas and you guys really like Texas. Enough already!"

Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Everything is called "Lone Star" this or that. After I was there for a couple days I was like, "Okay, I get it, I'm in Texas and you guys really like Texas. Enough already!"
Some of them were probably Space Balls references with nothing to do with Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh