Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Why do human beings the world over often seem to care a lot about money?
Sorry, OP, this is a very silly thread. Cleveland is a cool city, but I am sure there are plenty of people there who care a lot about money.

<P.S. Gortonator, is your algorithm real? >
gort's just taking over for 'burgh supercop Ben Klingston. Ben was top of the line in his day.

People in all areas care about money.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-14-2014 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Everything is double good.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
I have only seen the change within the last 4 years. Before that, nobody cared about how much you made or where you lived. Now with the revitalization and new people moving in, Pittsburgh is becoming an East Coast city. That downhome feeling is gone. Status rules.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:31 AM

33 posts, read 39,070 times
I've lived here for almost 6 months now and haven't gotten experienced this at all. If anything, most people here seem really down-to-earth, open, and friendly. Discussions about money haven't come up, but maybe I don't know people well enough yet for this to be a topic of conversation?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:29 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
It's been my experience that the people that HAVE money rarely talk about it. It's the wannabees that talk about it.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
I like to make it rain.
That's why it's always cloudy around here.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
I can attest that money is MUCH more important in southeastern cities like Atlanta and Charlotte than it is in Pittsburgh. Overall, Pittsburgh is the opposite of snobby as I'm sure Cleveland is as well. In Charlotte, you would not even think about putting a house on the market with laminate kitchen counters!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpride83 View Post
True, but I find most people refer to these places as Pittsburgh in this forum. It is much like how the areas the the OP mentioned are not in the City of Cleveland either, but are typically referred to as Cleveland.

I think the posting board can be misleading on this site. Pittsburgh is the 62nd largest city in the country, but the "Pittsburgh" area which is typically spoken about on this board is the 20th largest metro in the country. Pittsburgh, like Cleveland, is a heavily majority suburban and exurban metro. The city limits of each are tiny in both cases are 55 square miles for Pittsburgh and 77 square miles for Cleveland

So yes none of the places you just mentioned actually fall in the city limits of Pittsburgh. On another note, having these types of places inside the city limits would greatly help pittsburgh exit Act 47 oversight and pay its bills.
Actually, Pittsburgh is #22 in MSA population. 20 is Baltimore and 21 is Denver.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
Compared to other places I've lived, Pittsburghers are more likely to regard the surrounding suburbs as part of the city. And one aspect of suburban life that has vexed many people since the concept of suburbs first started taking off in the 1950s is the prospect of keeping up (or not keeping up) with the Joneses. I submit that the talk of money and who has what is not unique to the area, but is instead an American phenomenon that you will find just about anywhere. Ever been out on Long Island? Oh boy, do they keep up with the Joneses there! In fact, we have plenty of 30/40-something peers in NYC who will go on and on about their "vacation homes" in the Hamptons or Montauk or whatever, but dig a little deeper, and it's ALWAYS either a time-share or a house that's been in the family for generations. They don't own them...they RENT them, just like most people do...but they care a LOT about coming across as having "more" than others.

As I said in a previous post, another difference I've noticed between Rust Belt cities vs. coastal cities is the relative perception of wealth. I've noticed for a while that some 20-somethings call peers "trust-fund kids", using that term interchangeably with "members of the upper-middle class." I observed identical behavior in Baltimore, which is usually considered Rust Belt, or at least post-industrial. Whereas to earn the moniker "trust-fund kid" in D.C., LA, or New York, you literally have to live off of dividends from investments of family wealth.

That is not just a Rust Belt thing, either. It's a youth thing, too. Young people right out of college can fall into a trap where they start comparing themselves to peers and anxiously keeping track of who has more. Some of them become obsessed with it and really drive themselves up a wall with the comparisons, to a degree that isn't healthy. I've noted that Pittsburgh has a larger percentage of 20-somethings compared to its peer cities — a more recent trend, to be sure, but it is happening. It certainly has a larger population of college students and new grads per capita at any rate, and has for a while. So it may simply be a matter of demographics, although the behavior is not unique to Pgh. 20-somethings in NYC compare wealth and gossip about who has what, too. It's just that the amount of wealth required to catch their interest is higher, due to the higher COL and salaries.
Most people in metro Denver say they live in "Denver" until you get up to Boulder County. We refer to people who have no visible means of support yet drive fancy cars, own fancy bikes, etc as "trust-funders". The "keeping up with the Joneses" here tends to revolve around how many 14ers you've climbed, how many double-black diamonds you've skiied, stuff like that.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
I think this is a suburban thing. I never noticed anyone talk about money until I went to college and was exposed to suburban kids on a regular basis. Money is a big friggin deal to people in Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, etc. City kids never talked about it because they didn't have any.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:27 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Who the heck likes money?

Money sucks. I hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh