Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 PM

71 posts, read 301,763 times

Advertisements

i said alot... not all

Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 24,590 times
Default Pittsburgh Neighborhoods

MissShona - I had to laugh at your posting. I don't usually visit these sites, but happened across this on while looking up information on the 25th anniversary of the Martin Luther King, Jr March on Washington (I am one of the geeky Moms who look this stuff up for their kids).

I really do love Pittsburgh, although I am well aware of our City's "challenges". It is true we don't have any real ghettos. I have worked in the Hill as well as done work in Lincoln Larimer. I have never really been afraid of being anywhere. But then, I am a goof. I will say, I am more uncomfortable around the trashy areas (black and white) than the majority miniroty (black in Pgh) neighborhoods.

Many areas of town in the inner circle of suburbs are struggling. But then, people here tend to be friendlier than most. Get out meet folks. Talk to them. You would be surprised how Pgh people will chat at the supermarket, bus stop, post office, department store. Next time you are in Pgh at a Deli, strike up a conversation about the bridges or ask for the best way to get from here to there.

Good luck finding a place.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,758,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPlanner View Post
MissShona - I had to laugh at your posting. I don't usually visit these sites, but happened across this on while looking up information on the 25th anniversary of the Martin Luther King, Jr March on Washington (I am one of the geeky Moms who look this stuff up for their kids).
Aww...thanks (I think). Rather if you were laughing at me or with me, it's all good...smiling is always good.

I hope the Hill District is successful in their "negotiations" to improve the place with the new sport complex. If it's wishful thinking or not, I'm not sure. The place has a lot of history...and I'm sort of the nostalgic type.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 24,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Aww...thanks (I think). Rather if you were laughing at me or with me, it's all good...smiling is always good.

I hope the Hill District is successful in their "negotiations" to improve the place with the new sport complex. If it's wishful thinking or not, I'm not sure. The place has a lot of history...and I'm sort of the nostalgic type.

It was meant as laughing WITH you. *grin*. I guess I am also the nostalgic sort. I look at the Hill and see all of the history and potential all at once. I hope that whatever transpires is for the good of the entire community. They have had too many "self-proclaimed" leaders that have negotiated for the entire community. If anyone in real estate ever figures out how valuable that land is with the access to Oakland (universities/hospitals) and Downtown along with the views.....

Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 104,738 times
I find this topic to be a little funny. Truth be told you should probably just go to city with somebody that knows where they're going and just experience it for yourself. I know for a fact its areas that look less than desireable and some that look all kinds of messed up but outside of that its nothing going on and you wouldn't be in any kind of immediate danger. The only way you would put yourself in a bad situation immediately is by walking around by yourself late at night but you shouldnt do that anywhere.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 AM

511 posts, read 1,931,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnahurry View Post
I find this topic to be a little funny
I don't think it's funny at all. I wish I could have found this resource when I recently moved down here. Thankfully I had assistance from a few other discussion groups that helped me. Without any of them, I would have entered this area completely not knowing what to expect. My new company mentioned Bethel Park, USC area, which is where I work, but it's way to suburban for me. If I was moving to Pittsburgh I was going to live in it.

Even though I'm not afraid, the areas we have mentioned over and over in this thread were mentioned for a reason, because they have a not so good reputation, to say the least. Most of the violence in these areas seems to be drug/gang related and seems to be targeted at their own, but even knowin that, I'm sure not going settle in to a cheap apartment, especially when the area factually boast of 2/3 of Allegheny Countys murders for 2007

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM

17 posts, read 64,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
Well, if you say so....I saw this on the Today show, it was an LAPD officer who was helping do a segment on how gangs have moved into middle, and upper middle class neighborhoods. It was around a year ago that I saw it too.
Yes. Last year, when I still lived in Moon, there was a raid on the Foxboro Apartments and at Waterford Landings. They arrested numerous illegal aliens (oops, I mean undocumented workers), and found plenty of really bad heroin and a huge stash of guns. There were also a couple of incidents at Mooncrest (which is kind of Moon's ghetto or low income neighborhood) also involving illegals. Latino gangs are far worse than others. They kill indiscriminately--and they target blacks specifically. We don't have a lot of them yet, but wait a few years.

PS--No one's mentioned Duquesne. I know it's outside the city, but I've worked in both Homewood and Duquesne, and Homewood was a lot better (even if we did have to duck more than once from flying bullets).

Old 01-16-2008, 11:05 AM

511 posts, read 1,931,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheLake View Post
Yes. Last year, when I still lived in Moon, there was a raid on the Foxboro Apartments and at Waterford Landings. They arrested numerous illegal aliens (oops, I mean undocumented workers), and found plenty of really bad heroin and a huge stash of guns. There were also a couple of incidents at Mooncrest (which is kind of Moon's ghetto or low income neighborhood) also involving illegals. Latino gangs are far worse than others. They kill indiscriminately--and they target blacks specifically. We don't have a lot of them yet, but wait a few years.

PS--No one's mentioned Duquesne. I know it's outside the city, but I've worked in both Homewood and Duquesne, and Homewood was a lot better (even if we did have to duck more than once from flying bullets).
Situations like this really kill me. What is the United States going to be like in ten years?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The "truth" packaged wrongly can be mis-interpreted...and THAT is my point. The "problem" that you pointed out is not unique to Black communities; and SW Pennsylvania is FULL of run-down, White communities. Is that not true?

I doesn't bother me at all personally if you wish to label something and not tell the whole story; because I've been around to see predominently Black neighborhoods with homes from half a million on up. The whole point of me saying what I am saying is to issue a disclaimer if you will to people who may just be driving around and observe these things. Because appearances can be very deceiving.
I'm curious about the statement: because I've been around to see predominently Black neighborhoods with homes from half a million on up.

Really? Where? In Pittsburgh? I thought we were talking about Pittsburgh, not Miami. This is a Rust Belt city, and things are a lot different than they are in the sunny south.

Most homes in this area are boarded up because they've become unlivable and uninhabitable, not because they are in default on a mortgage. In case you hadn't noticed, Pittsburgh has largely escaped the mortgage crisis, except for maybe Braddock. In other words, the foreclosure rate in Pittsburgh doesn't even break the top 10, and there are thousands more properties that are boarded up--most of them in the worst neighborhoods--than there are foreclosures. Which kind of shoots your argument to hell. In 2006, Pittsburgh had 4,727 foreclosures (Source: State seeks to protect homebuyers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

but there are apparently so many boarded up homes that no one's bothered to count them all.

Don't believe me? Go to Manchester, specifically Chateau Street. They've been boarded up for years, some of them since I was a kid. They are fire hazards, rodent dens, and drug galleries. Go to North Charles Street. Wylie Avenue. Take a walk downtown. It isn't just boarded up homes that's the problem. It's boarded up buildings, period. Where once-thriving businesses used to be it's now nothing more than blight and poverty.

Real estate prices are so low in Pittsburgh that a lot of foreclosed homes don't stay foreclosed for long. Someone usually snaps them up. So your foreclosure argument doesn't hold water. Those of us who have lived here our whole lives know better.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
Situations like this really kill me. What is the United States going to be like in ten years?
If you liked that, vwscottie, you'll love this:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_547478.html

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_547067.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh