Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 AM

632 posts, read 1,066,093 times

Advertisements

So...I remember about 3.5 years ago reaching out to y'all for advice on where to live in Pittsburgh as I was relocating here from Michigan. Ended up in Southside, since moved to Bloomfield, and now 3.5 years later I'm married, work downtown, and we both will probably be here for a while. You guys have given great advice in the past, so I figured, why not again?

Having always said we wanted to live in the city, we've since changed (amongst other things) careers, goals, mindsets, and paths and are looking to make the move into the suburbs in 2015, for the house, yard, and more quiet lifestyle. Also, we're just getting sick of paying rent. So just a quick profile - Mid-late 20's young professionals, married, working in the city (downtown, and in the east end). Making good (for the area) money.

So, in our early research, we've fallen in love with the Upper St. Clair area, more specifically the Broadlawn Highlands area south of 19, across from the Country Club. Great access to the T (for getting to work/city), decent sized lots, great school district, and access to amenities are the biggest factors right now for us. Resale and rising property values are huge as well, as my company has indicated moving me once I'm done with grad school. We're starting to look with the goal of moving sometime in 2015.

Basically - anyone have any experience living here? Any big concerns or question marks about it? I've researched the market and know what we can get, the high property taxes, yadda yadda. But I'm mainly looking for feedback regarding quality of life, any unexpected input, and experiences from anyone who's lived there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,002,654 times
Upper St. Clair is beautiful. People there are less intense, and dare I say, almost always approachable. (But are those the people who are seemingly so frightened to engage with a stranger in downtown?).

Sorry, but that's all I have to add - I don't blame you for choosing that area. It is very, very nice. I will check this thread and eagerly await posts from others. Congratulations on your success, too!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,942,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
So...I remember about 3.5 years ago reaching out to y'all for advice on where to live in Pittsburgh as I was relocating here from Michigan. Ended up in Southside, since moved to Bloomfield, and now 3.5 years later I'm married, work downtown, and we both will probably be here for a while. You guys have given great advice in the past, so I figured, why not again?

Having always said we wanted to live in the city, we've since changed (amongst other things) careers, goals, mindsets, and paths and are looking to make the move into the suburbs in 2015, for the house, yard, and more quiet lifestyle. Also, we're just getting sick of paying rent. So just a quick profile - Mid-late 20's young professionals, married, working in the city (downtown, and in the east end). Making good (for the area) money.

So, in our early research, we've fallen in love with the Upper St. Clair area, more specifically the Broadlawn Highlands area south of 19, across from the Country Club. Great access to the T (for getting to work/city), decent sized lots, great school district, and access to amenities are the biggest factors right now for us. Resale and rising property values are huge as well, as my company has indicated moving me once I'm done with grad school. We're starting to look with the goal of moving sometime in 2015.

Basically - anyone have any experience living here? Any big concerns or question marks about it? I've researched the market and know what we can get, the high property taxes, yadda yadda. But I'm mainly looking for feedback regarding quality of life, any unexpected input, and experiences from anyone who's lived there.

Thanks!
I'll start simply by saying that I think prices are lower on the other side of 19 for basically the same thing. And even less the closer you get to Hays at the southernmost border with McMurray or towards BP. I don't detect any significant difference in average appreciation for existing construction anywhere in USC, though there seems to be "status" in some middle class nabes (e.g. Trotwood, Old Trotwood).

If you have kids (we don't), it'll probably be great. The community lives for kids.

The T is obviously great for getting downtown. But getting to the East End is a PITA. I'm not really familiar with bus transit, but having to drive through the tunnels during rush hour is not pleasant and very time-consuming. But once thru the Liberty Tunnel, 576 to Bigelow isn't bad. No good route from Ft Pitt tunnel though.

Your grocery shopping bills might go up as your "cheapest" nearby store is Market District (pro tip, never go on Sunday and ideally limit your shopping to after 10pm!). There's a lousy Shop n Save in Castle Shannon and a nicer one in Bridgeville. Otherwise you've got the Target (meh for produce), TJs, Fresh Market and WF coming in 2016. Restaurant choices mostly suck (go to Mt. Lebo) and delivery food options are very limited (China Gate, Vocellis/Pizza Parma and maybe the new Thai takeout place). You pretty much have to go outside USC to get gas, so do it on your commute.

They're pretty good at clearing snow/ice. The rec center/government-sponsored health club is a beauty and Boyce Park is a good place for short hikes with your dog (they require on-leash, but you can ignore it). There's not much for cops to do here, so when they do get a call, they're pretty excitable. Expect two cars minimum for any infraction.

Just keep in mind it is all about kids and school quality here and somewhat about appearances. About the only time conversations don't revolve around kids is when talking sports or when the parents get really drunk at neighborhood parties. And you'll probably have neighborhood parties.

Basically, it's pretty white-bread boring. Which has its pluses and minuses. We bought here for the value/location, but are looking to get out. We don't have kids and I've learned I'm not enamored of having a big yard with annual helicopter seeds clogging gutters, tons of falling leaves, deer/rabbit eating our vegetables and flowers, shoveling the driveway and all those other wonderful suburban things.

Last edited by sskink; 12-17-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,347,560 times
when my kids get done with school i am buying a farm to live on, but until then usc is a great place to live and raise a family. have you looked at peters twp, you can get the same type of house and save alot on taxes.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:39 PM

33 posts, read 96,365 times
I've lived in Upper St. Clair for 7 years - 3 without kids, 4 with. I don't think there's anything hidden that you're missing. The commute to downtown via the T is about an hour total (I commuted downtown via the T for 3 years) by the time you park, wait, ride, and walk; but it's relaxing for the most part.

It definitely tends to be family oriented, but that's not atypical for the suburbs I guess. But we didn't feel out of place living here for several years without kids. I had previously lived in Bellevue but when we were ready to buy, we wanted a little more space. USC definitely provides space for a relatively reasonable price.

The Rec Center is beautiful, though a bit pricey.

As to the previous poster who mentioned shopping, there are soon to be two Aldis nearby - I frequent the one on 88 and another is going in in Bridgeville right now.

I don't know what else there is to add but would be happy to answer any other questions.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:30 AM

271 posts, read 329,598 times
I live on the Mt Lebo/USC border near Bower Hill and Painters Run Road. Whichever of you or your spouse will despise the commute to the East End. My spouse and I have same job situation (downtown and East End) and there is no easy way to get to the East End from the South Hills. Commute back during evening rush usually the worst -- takes at least an hour (usually more) and no good way to avoid the late rush (can time the morning so it is a quicker trip if you leave early in the AM). Also you will be in Zone 2 for the T so will cost more than Zone 1. Nice area though if you can stomach the commute.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,751,450 times
Or if you are commuting, drive to Dormont and park there ; that is Zone 1.

I live in Bridgeville and did that commute for 2 years. It was ok. Love USC but I think a little too grand for us.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,494,665 times
What about back roads? Bethel Church Road to Baptist Rd which becomes Brownsville Rd, to Becks Run Rd to Carson St and across the Hot Metal Bridge to Oakland?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:01 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,347,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
What about back roads? Bethel Church Road to Baptist Rd which becomes Brownsville Rd, to Becks Run Rd to Carson St and across the Hot Metal Bridge to Oakland?
pack a lunch

Old 12-20-2014, 04:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,433,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
pack a lunch
and dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh