Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,311,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Those stats might exist, I'm not sure either way, but what I am sure of is that the quote you responded to doesn't make that representation.
"as if there isn't a significant history of white right wing extremists killing and attempting to kill agents of the government, including cops."
And the whole point of these comments is criticizing anyone for taking this threat seriously, when "white right-wind extremists" are the real problem.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
"as if there isn't a significant history of white right wing extremists killing and attempting to kill agents of the government, including cops."
Right, that doesn't say what you thought it did.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Right, that doesn't say what you thought it did.
Look, you have reading comprehension issues. I'm not dealing with you anymore.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,083 times
Quote:
Look, you have reading comprehension issues. I'm not dealing with you anymore.
OK...it's a bit of a pot/kettle response but I get that it's tough to admit you screwed that up...no big deal.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,104 times
Quote:
Do you have any statistics that show that a large percentage of cop killings are done by "white right wing extremists?"
Funny how you're the only one to use the word large percentage, or the word percentage in general. Maybe when you were skipping right past the point, you imagined those words. Since you've imagined that there are percentages on these things, do you have any statistics on how many cops are killed in the commission of politically motivated killings, and then of that percentage, how many of those are from black people who set out to kill a cop intentionally because they hate cops, versus numbers of people killing cops to escape arrest?

Not that that happens often. Being a cop is safer than being a garbage man.

Quote:
According to FBI statistics, 27 police officers were feloniously killed in 2013, the lowest raw number in more than 50 years. (The previous low was 41 in 2008.) If we go by officer homicides as a percentage of active-duty police, it was probably the safest year in a century. The number of cops killed on duty has been falling since the mid-1990s, consistent with the overall drop in violent crime in America. Assaults against police officers have been in decline as well.
Five myths about America

It's sad that the mainstream libertarians out there are the only ones during worthwhile reporting on cops these days.

Since you're obviously ignorant about the existence of extremist right wing white terrorism, go do some research. Maybe it'll jog your memory about how it's been the cause of some of the bigger domestic terrorist attacks and politically motivated bombings and killings.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/14/opinio...nsas-shooting/

To be clear, there is no trend or movement amongst black people or even amongst leftists to kill government agents for being government agents, and the people who want to point to this mental to prove one are full of it. To simultaneously connect this one mental guy, who started off by shooting his black girlfriend, to a greater movement, while treating Frein, Bourque, and the Millers as delusional individuals is something else. For many conservatives to treat Cliven Bundy as a hero for threatening agents of the federal government, including police, with violence, while otherwise worshipping other agents of the government (police) is something else. The hypocrisy is astounding.

But even white right wing extremism is not a significant trend, since to be paranoid about extremely low rates of murder and terrorism is to be a coward who's not in touch with reality. Which sums up post-9/11 America.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can call this "100% fact." Regardless, I've seen a whole lot more black-on-white violence than the other way around. And that makes the whole "black people are perennial innocent victims of evil white people" narrative very, very tiring.
I am black and all the black people that I know have never played the victim. Most black people do experience discrimination often during our lifetime. We do not dwell on it or allow it to impact our daily lives. White people have commited violent atrocities in modern times so that black on white / white on black crap is total BS. The US is like a dysfunctional family. On the outside looking in we appear to be perfect but behind closed doors we are a total reck. Until we can truly discuss race as a unified country we will never progress when it comes to race relations.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,104 times
Quote:
And the whole point of these comments is criticizing anyone for taking this threat seriously, when "white right-wind extremists" are the real problem.
Hilarious that you accuse people of reading comprehension problems. The irony is astounding, but that's a consistent trend through your recent posts.

No, the point is that people like you will go running with the case of one lone psycho as evidence of some broader trend while you simultaneously ignore the multiple recent white politically-motivated killers of cops (and as many ignore the attempted murder of his black girlfriend because that doesn't fit the narrative). Because you treat them as aberrations, but you don't treat this man as a aberration. Hmm, I wonder why.

Neither are the "real problem" since statistics show that threats to police are significantly overblown. Just like violent crime rates are at all time lows, but polls consistently show that Americans think the violent crime rate is increasing. Turn off your action news and your Fox News once in a while.

How sad was it for you to find out that this threat was made up and wasn't actually real? I can hear the sound of people deflating from here, so desperate to feel like they're the real victims.

Last edited by sparrowmint; 12-23-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Funny how you're the only one to use the word large percentage, or the word percentage in general. Maybe when you were skipping right past the point, you imagined those words. Since you've imagined that there are percentages on these things, do you have any statistics on how many cops are killed in the commission of politically motivated killings, and then of that percentage, how many of those are from black people who set out to kill a cop intentionally because they hate cops, versus numbers of people killing cops to escape arrest?

Not that that happens often. Being a cop is safer than being a garbage man.

Five myths about America

It's sad that the mainstream libertarians out there are the only ones during worthwhile reporting on cops these days.

Since you're obviously ignorant about the existence of extremist right wing white terrorism, go do some research. Maybe it'll jog your memory about how it's been the cause of some of the bigger domestic terrorist attacks and politically motivated bombings and killings.

Opinion: In U.S., right wing extremists more deadly than jihadists - CNN.com

To be clear, there is no trend or movement amongst black people or even amongst leftists to kill government agents for being government agents, and the people who want to point to this mental to prove one are full of it. To simultaneously connect this one mental guy, who started off by shooting his black girlfriend, to a greater movement, while treating Frein, Bourque, and the Millers as delusional individuals is something else. For many conservatives to treat Cliven Bundy as a hero for threatening agents of the federal government, including police, with violence, while otherwise worshipping other agents of the government (police) is something else. The hypocrisy is astounding.

But even white right wing extremism is not a significant trend, since to be paranoid about extremely low rates of murder and terrorism is to be a coward who's not in touch with reality. Which sums up post-9/11 America.
What was your whole point? That there's "a significant history of white right-wing extremists" killing cops. If that's so, wouldn't a significant percentage of police killings be done by such people?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

-Uptown's son who will be born in several months will face racism just because he will be black in America
Tho I don't really complain about it or hold all whites guilty. Its simply life in America for all black people which whites will never understand.
Most people are instantly judgmental to everyone else, regardless of race. They enjoy being around people who are nice to be around, who work, and are good at what they do. EVERYONE has to prove their usefulness, their friendliness, and competency.

If someone walks around with preconceived notions that they are at a disadvantage, and that people do not like you because of their race, religion, or sexual orientation, he has ALREADY presented himself with one strike even before a stranger has had an opportunity to be bigoted. Not all of non-black America is against black people. In fact, an overwhelming majority is not - they just like, appreciate, and want to be around people that can make money, or have money. Please don't brainwash your son that it's all about being white - it's about being a winner in this hyper-competitive society.

My grandmother was black - SHE could talk about it being hard in her country for her as a mixed race person, no less. I am not insensitive and don't doubt that people are racist out there, but in 2014, I always suspect its more of a comfort zone to fall back on. if a loser like myself can keep a roof over my head and advance my education (working two jobs), why can't you, and you, and you and you?

And by the way, my first time in a jewish grocery store in squirrel hill, the kid working there said to the other person "watch him". This was last year. Not even waiting for an opportunity to be tactful when I wouldn't hear him.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Hilarious that you accuse people of reading comprehension problems. The irony is astounding, but that's a consistent trend through your recent posts.

No, the point is that people like you will go running with the case of one lone psycho as evidence of some broader trend while you simultaneously ignore the multiple recent white politically-motivated killers of cops (and as many ignore the attempted murder of his black girlfriend because that doesn't fit the narrative). Because you treat them as aberrations, but you don't treat this man as a aberration. Hmm, I wonder why.

Neither are the "real problem" since statistics show that threats to police are significantly overblown. Just like violent crime rates are at all time lows, but polls consistently show that Americans think the violent crime rate is increasing. Turn off your action news and your Fox News once in a while.

How sad was it for you to find out that this threat was made up and wasn't actually real? I can hear the sound of people deflating from here, so desperate to feel like they're the real victims.

Your whole rant here is one long strawman argument.
Look: There's been a huge controversy lately about police shootings. A man in NYC recently ambushed and shot police because he was angry about those shootings. Therefore, it isn't unreasonable for police in other parts of the country to be on edge about similar shootings. You can say that they should be more afraid of "white right-wingers," (yes, I'm aware of Poplawski), but you provide no real evidence why they should.
But what's the point? You really just want to bash "white right-wingers" and shout "FOOOOX NEEEEEWSS!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh