Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick538 View Post
Buses are necessary for many people but they are also methods of transport for lowlife individuals who, not content with the destruction of their own neighborhoods, now want to ruin things in better places.
And just how are you determining that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM

524 posts, read 1,031,391 times
Quote:
Buses are necessary for many people but they are also methods of transport for lowlife individuals who, not content with the destruction of their own neighborhoods, now want to ruin things in better places.
um....what??

Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
They should require that minors be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or chaperone after 5:00 pm. Groups should not be permitted to loiter. Minors should not be permitted to ride a PAT bus to or from shopping centers after 5:00 pm without being accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Uhhhh, no.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,448,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Damn. I grew up in Monroeville and that was my high school hang-out place.

Times change, and not always for the better.
When I was a kid, in the early 90's, I saw at least a 20 on 20 fight directly outside the middle doors at Monroeville mall. (before that outside addition obviously)
All guys, saw a guy even jump on the hood of a car and try to get in the window. It was probably the most brutal fight of that scale I've seen in person.

Of course no one had cell phones rolling video and pumping onto facebook and twitter so..yeah it was much nicer back in the day I guess.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
In our car-centric metro people still view those who take the bus as somehow inferior. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. When you think about it, it doesn't surprise me how transit gets cut time and time again when people have such low opinion of those that use it.

You'd never see this sort of attitude in NY, DC, Boston, Toronto, etc. Pittsburgh is a weird place.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:06 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,998,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
In our car-centric metro people still view those who take the bus as somehow inferior. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. When you think about it, it doesn't surprise me how transit gets cut time and time again when people have such low opinion of those that use it.

You'd never see this sort of attitude in NY, DC, Boston, Toronto, etc. Pittsburgh is a weird place.
Yep, even in some smaller cities that I've lived, like Portland and Ottawa (both of which are sprawling in their own right), plenty of middle and upper class people on public transportation. In Ottawa, the rural and exurbanites that get unwillingly drawn into the city tax base complain about it, but middle and upper class people in the city itself support the expansion of train service and the like so that they can choose to use cars less.

These kind of attitudes hold the Pittsburgh metro back. Very backwards and classist nonsense.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 PM

610 posts, read 742,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
When I was a kid, in the early 90's, I saw at least a 20 on 20 fight directly outside the middle doors at Monroeville mall. (before that outside addition obviously)
All guys, saw a guy even jump on the hood of a car and try to get in the window. It was probably the most brutal fight of that scale I've seen in person.

Of course no one had cell phones rolling video and pumping onto facebook and twitter so..yeah it was much nicer back in the day I guess.
I left Monroeville in 1976 (and Pgh entirely in 1980) so yeah. Too bad. Used to be a fun mall.

As for buses, I rode them extensively in my youth until I learned to drive/got a car. My experiences (1970s through mid-1980s) in both Pgh and Fort Lauderdale were interesting. Most who rode had no other choice. But my joke was that the buses were a rolling mental home/place for drunks.

Kind of sad because some ride the bus for convenience (in a city it's often more practical) or when unable to afford a car and having to deal with some of what you deal with on a bus kind of sucks. I can't imagine in the 30 years since I stopped riding them that they got better. :/

Old 12-28-2014, 09:49 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Kind of sad because some ride the bus for convenience (in a city it's often more practical) or when unable to afford a car and having to deal with some of what you deal with on a bus kind of sucks. I can't imagine in the 30 years since I stopped riding them that they got better. :/
People on this sub-forum seem to prefer buses to trains, so I'm guessing Pittsburgh's buses must be pretty swanky and luxurious, as trains were deemed to be superior in other places I've lived.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times
Quote:
I can't imagine in the 30 years since I stopped riding them that they got better. :/

The overall crime rate in the nation has dropped tremendously in the past 30 years. Treatment for mental illness certainly has lots of problems, but it is in a much better place than it was 30 years ago. If you are worried about crime and people with mental illness on the bus, I don't know why you wouldn't expect things to have gotten better.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Yep, even in some smaller cities that I've lived, like Portland and Ottawa (both of which are sprawling in their own right), plenty of middle and upper class people on public transportation. In Ottawa, the rural and exurbanites that get unwillingly drawn into the city tax base complain about it, but middle and upper class people in the city itself support the expansion of train service and the like so that they can choose to use cars less.

These kind of attitudes hold the Pittsburgh metro back. Very backwards and classist nonsense.
I dunno, anywhere I've lived that's had decent transit, buses have always been looked down upon whereas middle & upper class people all used the various railed transits without such negative connotations - the same mindset seems present here as the 'T' is heavily used by middle & upper class commuters; we just have much less railed transit then other places.

(Disclaimer, I've never been to portland or ottowa)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh