Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

778 posts, read 840,151 times

Advertisements

Propel schools are charters, so it's a different system.

Whether or not your local school is "that bad" depends on which school you're talking about and what your definition of "bad" is. The quality of the individual PPS schools varies wildly. And let's be honest: PPS schools are majority black and for some people the existence of a lot of black students in a school automatically makes it bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
And even if you don't get the magnet the first year (kindergarten, for example), you can reapply the next year and often be accepted. One year in a catholic/private school isn't so bad.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:41 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
that is my question, are the base schools bad or are the magnet schools so much better? i thought with the propel schools opening up there would be more choices.
I am a proponent of the city schools. I am not too familiar with charter schools. The Allderdice feeder was removed from my neighborhood after 40 + years. The feeder for my children is now Westinghouse and Westinghouse was not an option period. I took my case to the board and would not allow my precious black children to be warehoused in a jail like environment.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:49 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I can see a slice of downtown from my house in Brighton Heights too, especially in the fall and winter when the trees don't have leaves. I think "views" like this exist all over the city, and there really isn't much of a price premium on it (if any at all). I'm not sure if these are the sorts of views that OP has in mind though.
Oh i know, just funny how city views can appear out of no where. Near my brothers in Robinson you can see downtown too...

Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
While Pittsburgh has many fine public schools, most of them are magnets. Normal application to the magnets is at 6th or 9th grade. If your child is at an odd age it may be much more difficult to get into the well-regarded 6-12 magnets (CAPA, Sci-Tech, and Obama).

In terms of neighborhood high schools, the only option generally considered to be good is Allderdice. This would limit your housing search to the following areas:

Shadyside
Squirrel Hill
Point Breeze (including Point Breeze North)
Regent Square (city portions only - not those in Edgewood, Swissvale, or Wilkinsburg
Swisshelm Park
Greenfield
East Liberty (South of Penn Avenue)

Hazelwood and portions of Homewood are also in the Allderdice feeder, but are mostly not safe areas you would want to live with a child if you had another option. South and Central Oakland are also in the Allderdice feeder. But while urban and walkable, these areas have been slowly taken over by University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) undergrads, and are generally considered a hassle (albeit not unsafe) for families these days.

If you want an affordable area with good view within the Allderdice feeder, the best place to look is Greenfield. The area is safe and reasonably priced, albeit not particularly walkable or attractive.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Heck, even high up on good 'ol Kennebec street in Greenfield has gorgeous year round views of the cityscape. I miss walking that neighborhood the most. Greenfield was one of the places I considered buying, I'd bet it's still pretty affordable.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
eschaton, I just saw your post pop up after mine. Why don't you deem Greenfield walkable? It has a modest business district with some ammenities and Squirrel Hill is right across the bridge. The terrain is certainly hilly but perfectly walkable.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 8,939 times
I am not even going to waste my time arguing with the prudes.
I am absorbing all the helpful information and appreciate it so much! It is so refreshing to hear that some of you grew up in the city and loved it! I grew up in Phoenix, AZ during my teenage years, and it made me into the person I am today. I am well-rounded and open-minded and never got into gangs or a criminal lifestyle. I cherish those years and wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
If it would so happen he could not get into a good school, I am willing to homeschool him for a year until we figured something else out. We are both wanting to move from where we are at. We are not from where we are living now, and I really hate the town I live in. Population is about 2,000, there is nothing for teens to do but get hooked on meth. I have been waiting for a year for my house to sell, I will keep it on the market, but am to the point of either leaving it empty or renting it out. I want to get established somewhere before the start of 2015 school year, so he can start as a freshman and stay in one place through graduation.
I called and spoke with the Allegheny Center today and they said there are children and teens that live there as well. I am figuring out my money situation and will be returning to Pittsburgh soon to look at and tour apartments. I am hoping to be moved by summer.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 PM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Check out the Morrowfield apartments in Squirrel Hill. One side of the building has a view. The other side does not. It is reasonably priced and a short walk to Allderdice High School and the business district.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I was going to suggest Squirrel Hill/Greenfield, too. It's a great area for kids and families, with people from all over the country and the world living there. Kids have the chance to be semi-independent, get around on their own, meet people from all backgrounds, frequent the museums and parks, and learn to ride buses and make their way in the world. I grew up in the suburbs where everyone was exactly the same and we all couldn't wait to get out. Wish I had grown up in a city neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh