Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Homes with the first floor in direct contact with the ground are far more prone to moisture problems, settling problems, and heat problems. At the very least, consider this...
You bring up great points , especially with the Heat problems issue. I imagine all that air space makes for a nice insulator. I guess the kye is not to "cheap out" on any aspect of the basement when building (And I am assuming new building code won't allow it anyways..)... maybe go with something like Superior Walls or those FOAM/concrete block deals... and just bite the bullet on the front end...

Thanks
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
IMO, buying or building a home in this area without a basement is a very bad idea. And any contractor who would tell you to do it this way is full of cow poop. MAJOR cow poop.
People have tried it for decades, and the end results have almost always been the same. Homes with the first floor in direct contact with the ground are far more prone to moisture problems, settling problems, and heat problems. At the very least, consider this... if the contractor cut corners and didn't place a vapor barrier below the concrete, moisture penetration is guaranteed. It's only a matter of time. And prior to 1980, most contractors did NOT place a vapor barrier below the concrete; even if a vapor barrier was called for in the original design.

It may seem like a good deal now, but there's a reason for that. And the last thing you want is to discover that "reason" when and if you ever have to sell.
The OP doesn't say whether or not it's a slab foundation -- merely that the home doesn't have a basement. It's very possible to build a home that doesn't have a basement, but still has a more typical structure like a basement and not a slab.

My home here in California doesn't have a basement, we have a crawlspace with piers and joists on dirt. The outer ring of the house is cement blocks. No water problems, no dirt crawling up the foundation.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,894 times
Exclamation I agree with Tallysmom....slab foundation is a personal preference

The decision to or not to purchanse a home built on a slab foundation in western PA (Pittsburgh, PA) is ultimately a personal decision. I can illustrate some pro's and con's of a slab as I own and have lived in this environment for several years. I hope this will help anyone contemplating between traditional basement foundation vs. slab as I have lived in both.

BLOCK WALL (CINDER) BASEMENT:

LOTS of space, lots of upkeep, lots of potential moisture issues. I have yet to witness a 'DRY' basement in western pennsylvania...unless you are running a dehumidifier 24/7. Squeaky floor boards, cold air from basement adds to heating costs. Noisy and bouncy, as wood is more flexible than concrete.

CONCRETE SLAB ON GRAD:

Very solid, very efficient if the return air ducts are run through the floor, inflexible in terms of remodel...plumbing and electrical is in sleeves/conduit throughout. Very QUIET relative to traditional basement structures. Also, R-value of solid concrete in this slab-on-grade state is very good and comparable to insulating panels. One NOTE: I have read several posts about 'saving' money by building a slab on grade. The fore-planning, concrete re-bar reinforecement, time in construction, etc, etc, invested in building this type of home is NOT inexpensive. You are in essence building one of the most permanent structures, if done properly.

Do the research...it all comes down to what you want and what you can afford. ALSO, if you are in an area where red clay is prevalent you may want to consider a slab. The absorption and expansion rate of red clay (even in some areas of western pa) is enough to cause insurmountable and irreprepairable damage to a cinder block foundation.

If traditional foundations where so great, B-dry and all of the 'basement waterproofing' agencies would cease to exist.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM

212 posts, read 640,655 times
Don't have much to say about this, other than I can't imagine a home without a cellar. When I move back to the 'Burgh soon, I am looking forward to buying a home with a basement.... where else would I put my woodshop, or my big model railroad?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
I'd rather have a big attic than a basement. As n2914mr said, we have wet basements. Your tools and train stuff will rust or get mold you'll have to clean off all the time. I live on the very top of a hill and the entire block has basement water problems, ruined carpets and game rooms, bad for those with allergies, whatever damage that water or dampness can do.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM

212 posts, read 640,655 times
Interestingly, In my old house I rented in Cheswick, I never had any water or even bad humidity issues, even though the house was built in 1920. On the other hand, another house I lived in, built in 1962, always had water seepage, but not bad humidity. I guess I got lucky?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
My house was built in 1966... walkout basement on a graded lot.

NO water issues... at all. Slightly damp in the summer, remedies with a dehumidifier a few weeks in Jul/Aug.

I would not want a house without a basement.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
After carrying heavy bags of purchases up my cellar steps and back down again in the form of gifts in December, I realize my knees are not going to last because of my basement garage. Therefore, I’ve already done research on slab houses in Pennsylvania and I’m looking forward to continuing my plans and eventually putting them in motion. Through my already extensive research, I found that heated floors are the most efficient method of heating with no warm air being shot out of a chimney and also are a good selling point.
My aunt had a slab house back in the 60s. Lived there through the 80s and never had a problem.
Basements are for clutter, dampness, and spiders.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janmarcin View Post
After carrying heavy bags of purchases up my cellar steps and back down again in the form of gifts in December, I realize my knees are not going to last because of my basement garage. Therefore, I’ve already done research on slab houses in Pennsylvania and I’m looking forward to continuing my plans and eventually putting them in motion. Through my already extensive research, I found that heated floors are the most efficient method of heating with no warm air being shot out of a chimney and also are a good selling point.
My aunt had a slab house back in the 60s. Lived there through the 80s and never had a problem.
Basements are for clutter, dampness, and spiders.
One of the fascinating things I find about human nature is “Thisis what WE do, so everybody does it that way.”

My sisters basement is t high enough to create a gameroom, so it’s just a basement. It’s not cluttered, it’s her laundry area, and bulk storage area. It’s also not damp, because buying a 36 pack of TP at SamsClub isn’t good in damp enviroments.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 PM

387 posts, read 470,840 times
Not having a basement is really a matter of personal preference.

You are getting the responses you are because:
In SW PA, most of us grew up with a basement/cellar, so that's what we are used to.
Old housing stock had root cellars below the house, some had been finished with brick floors before concrete was poured.
For us, it's where the furnace, hot water tank, & washer/dryer go, (along with the famous 'Pittsburgh toilet').

If your cellar isn't too damp, it's where the workshop or gameroom go (or where your 'failure to launch 30 yr old lives lol)

Keep in mind: Much of the world lives without a basement.
They've figured out where to place the mechanical stuff, a laundry room is incorporated into the build design & life goes on as usual. It's honestly not a problem anymore. We have smaller equipment, better technology & higher efficiency.

The foundation is the most expensive part of the build, with basement foundations being the most expensive option.
It is also the easiest part to screw up & the hardest to fix.

Regardless of which type of foundation a house you're looking to buy has, in this area, you need a good inspection of it. If it had issues, or has issues-it's hard to cover up, there will be telltale signs, of either the actual problem, or th cover up. Good inspectors know where to look, plus there is the seller's disclosure.

If you really like the house:
Think about not carrying laundry up the basement stairs.
Think about what your intention is for staying in the house, because as we age, stairs are less & less friendly, so having everything on 1 level may appeal to you.

I can say this, most of the people I have worked with in the past 10 yrs who are now retiring, are looking for ranch houses to retire to because everything is on 1 level--bad knees, & hips play a huge part. Steps are the enemy as we age.

There's no reason you must have a basement, it's a personal decision.

I personally am remodeling the small home I recently purchased-that has a small basement, to be able to have everything on 1 level so that I can "age in place", because that's where I plan to die someday. I'll keep my washer/dryer in the basement for now, but in the future, the plan is to incorporate it to the 1st floor.

Why am I doing this? Because with age comes wisdom.
I have been listening to all of the 60-70 yr old people I work with. I don't want to have to deal with it later, so I am doing it now & incorporating their thoughts into my current plans.
It's why we have stackable washers & dryers. What to do with the extra freezer? They build ones that can be put outside. Need extra space? Build up-it's cheapest, or cover a porch, buy a little out building...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh