Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 PM

664 posts, read 806,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Oh, come on! It was the snark about "those people" not wanting to live around people of lower economic means that pushed my buttons. "Words have meaning".
I was merely quoting someone else's words.

Words have meaning, yes. But a little bit of intellect in understanding their CONTEXT puts it all in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
I was merely quoting someone else's words.

Words have meaning, yes. But a little bit of intellect in understanding their CONTEXT puts it all in perspective.
The other person did not say "They want space, privacy, and most importantly a homogenized and sanitized distance between themselves and members of the lower socio-economic classes." Now maybe you could explain that context, so I don't go off assuming you meant something you did not.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
There is a low-income housing project and also a trailer park (a kind of DIY low-income housing project) within walking distance of my house, also a lot of small, single-family house rentals. In point of fact, in smaller suburbs such as Beaver Falls and Louisville, one lives in closer proximity to people of all economic levels than in places like D/T Pittsburgh, Denver and especially NYC!
Checking a map, it looks like both Downtown Pittsburgh and Denver have rather large lower income populations, both higher than Louisville:

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Lower than Beaver Falls, but is a much lower median income than Louisville.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The other person did not say "They want space, privacy, and most importantly a homogenized and sanitized distance between themselves and members of the lower socio-economic classes." Now maybe you could explain that context, so I don't go off assuming you meant something you did not.
I'm afraid I can't explain it any plainer than it's already written.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
If you grew up where I did, and there was not either of those, or a Starbucks...and you really liked those places, it might help you make your decision.
Or if you want to keep Starbucks as far from you as possible this is the place to be:

Montana town farthest from Starbucks in U.S. | KTVQ.com | Q2 | Billings, Montana

Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
"Words have meaning".
"When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

—Humpty Dumpty, Alice in Wonderland

Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
I'm afraid I can't explain it any plainer than it's already written.
So you are asserting that all suburbanites want "space, privacy, and most importantly a homogenized and sanitized distance between themselves and members of the lower socio-economic classes." MmKay!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
So you are asserting that all suburbanites want "space, privacy, and most importantly a homogenized and sanitized distance between themselves and members of the lower socio-economic classes." MmKay!
No, I did not assert that at all.

I never said "all".

Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 12,676 times
What do we think of the Bellevue / Brighton heights area? Seems like once bvue ditches the dry town thing , it could be a great place to live .

Old 01-19-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieCF View Post
What do we think of the Bellevue / Brighton heights area? Seems like once bvue ditches the dry town thing , it could be a great place to live .
I have always been a fan of Bellevue.

Now THAT is a hidden gem of a neighborhood. Beautiful architecture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh