Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Funny. I knew this storm was expected on Saturday night. Saw it on the news reports multiple times over the weekend. Did you want someone to cal you personally to let you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crae09 View Post
Is this sarcasm. It has been on the news since Friday night.... in the newspapers, via social media. Do you live under a rock?
YES IT WAS SARCASM! HOLY GRANOLA BAR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 PM

As far as proportionally paying taxes for snow plowing and salting relative to the number of miles driven via a GPS tracking device is concerned I would be more than willing to pay a higher tax as a delivery driver to ensure the roads were as pristine at 10:45 PM when I'M driving HOME from work as they are at 6:30 AM when other people are driving INTO work.

Then again what about a homebody who works from home paying NO taxes for snow plowing/salting "because they don't drive" while they receive at least one package from Amazon daily? Shouldn't they have to pay something to ensure that the roads are in proper condition for their delivery drivers to make their rounds to them?

The people most outraged right now should be cyclists like gortonator. He pays taxes to help plow/salt for CARS, yet the new protected bike lanes are lucky if they are ever salted in a timely manner. I'd be p*ssed off if I was him.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A

The people most outraged right now should be cyclists like gortonator. He pays taxes to help plow/salt for CARS, yet the new protected bike lanes are lucky if they are ever salted in a timely manner. I'd be p*ssed off if I was him.
I'm happy to pay my taxes for the communal good. I don't expect them to only benefit me, or even benefit me at all at times.

And my mtn bike powers through slushy bike paths. It's part of the fun of winter riding.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:50 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
As far as proportionally paying taxes for snow plowing and salting relative to the number of miles driven via a GPS tracking device is concerned I would be more than willing to pay a higher tax as a delivery driver to ensure the roads were as pristine at 10:45 PM when I'M driving HOME from work as they are at 6:30 AM when other people are driving INTO work.
I don't believe you can have "pristine" roads in the middle of a snow storm, regardless of levels of taxation. To expect otherwise is difficult to comprehend.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I don't believe you can have "pristine" roads in the middle of a snow storm, regardless of levels of taxation. To expect otherwise is difficult to comprehend.
While driving from 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM last night, for example, I was all over the East End and only saw two salt trucks---one on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield and one on East Liberty Boulevard in East Liberty. I also saw a salt truck dumping a metric ton of salt around 7:30 PM on the hill on Shady Avenue just above Fifth Avenue after a car had already crashed into a fire hydrant due to the pathetic lack of salting. They decided to close Negley Avenue instead of salting it---quite embarrassing, actually, for a major city. The closure of Negley coupled with the accident on Shady made getting from Shadyside into Squirrel Hill very difficult around 7 PM. We shut down at 8 PM because our drivers were stuck in perpetual gridlock everywhere, and we couldn't make much headway. By 9 PM it seemed like the roads were crystal clear, as I saw an army of salt trucks on my way home---too late. What I want to know is why that army of salt trucks wasn't out from 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
What I want to know is why that army of salt trucks wasn't out from 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM.
You could check the app ...

Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
What I want to know is why that army of salt trucks wasn't out from 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM.
They were, but they were stuck in the same gridlock.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Well said - and it did snow very heavily from sometime after 4pm until sometime after 6 (I was in gym by then so dunno when it eased.) It had basically stopped by 7.15.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
They were, but they were stuck in the same gridlock.
Fair enough. Last night's evening rush-hour was one of the worst I've ever experienced here, hence my stress about it. I swear traffic started getting heavy at 4 PM and didn't clear up until 7:45 PM. While it's always wise to slow down a bit during inclement weather I'm inclined to think there were WAY too many extraneous/uneccessary vehicles on the road last night---people out sight-seeing and farting around in their SUVs instead of staying home until the crews could start salting. Unless you were driving home from work/school; driving to pick up your kids/spouse from school/work; going to a necessary appointment; or WORKING there was absolutely no reason there should have been that sheer level of gridlock for so many hours last night. One of our drivers was trying to get up South 18th Street to his home in Mt. Oliver and radioed in after 20 minutes to say he was still stuck in gridlock.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Last night's evening rush-hour was one of the worst I've ever experienced here, hence my stress about it. I swear traffic started getting heavy at 4 PM and didn't clear up until 7:45 PM. While it's always wise to slow down a bit during inclement weather I'm inclined to think there were WAY too many extraneous/uneccessary vehicles on the road last night---people out sight-seeing and farting around in their SUVs instead of staying home until the crews could start salting. Unless you were driving home from work/school; driving to pick up your kids/spouse from school/work; going to a necessary appointment; or WORKING there was absolutely no reason there should have been that sheer level of gridlock for so many hours last night. One of our drivers was trying to get up South 18th Street to his home in Mt. Oliver and radioed in after 20 minutes to say he was still stuck in gridlock.
You really believe that a bunch of people jumped in their SUVs last night to cruise around the East End to look at that moderate amount of snow we got?

Gas has gone down in price, but not to the point where people are putzin around on Monday nights in the middle of January in the East End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh