Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,202 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm moving to Pittsburgh the first week in July to start a job at Magee. I'm hoping you can all help me with some apartment search suggestions. Specifically, I'd like to know when I should start looking for a place, what is the best way to find a place, and what neighborhoods you would recommend. It would probably help if I tell you about what I'm looking for:

I'm planning to move with my boyfriend, so we will be two 30 year olds, no pets. We probably want to rent, though might consider buying if the opportunity was really good. We would like to keep housing costs between around $1500-2000/month, since we are in that range living in DC now. We want at least one, but preferably more than one bedroom (for guests or in case our family grows). We'd love something renovated but with some character left in it.

It's really important to us that we can walk places, and in particular to a good grocery store. It doesn't need to be fancy, but we'd like it to have all the staples and not be dirty/scary. We came up to Pittsburgh for a weekend and looked at a bunch of grocery stores (this is really important to my boyfriend. I don't know what to tell you.) We'd rather have a decent giant eagle than an aldi or trader joes just because giant eagle seemed more comprehensive. My boyfriend LOVED the east end co-op though. It would also be nice to be able to walk to a gym, some good restaurants, and/or a park.

I'd like to have a short commute (<20 minutes if possible), and be in a safe neighborhood thats not too full of students/parties/noise (I'm too old for that!). Its a plus if its somewhere scenic (trees are good!).

People have suggested Shadyside and Squirrel Hill to me, because it seems like those are the go to neighborhoods people suggest to everyone around my age moving to Pittsburgh! So I'm wondering where ELSE you would recommend. I've been looking on Zillow/craigslist and it seems like there might be some other places that could be good like Highland Park, Point Breeze, Regent Square, Greenfield, or even places a little further away like the Mexican War Streets (but there didn't seem to be a grocery store near there?). I love the Mount Washington view, but people have told me it's hard to drive there in the winter. Thoughts?

Questions: is Zillow and Craigslist good or are there other sites/services I should be using? Are all of the good places going to be taken if I start looking in May or will the places for July not become available until June?

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to being your new neighbor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 03:55 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,068 times
I hate the east end part of town with a passion, but reading your requirements it sounds like you are describing Shadyside to a t. You may also want to look into east liberty.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
The City View Apartment houses adjacent to Parkway Center seems to meet most of your requirements.

They have only been up there for a few years, there is Giant Eagle in Parkway Center and a couple of restaurants within the office park.

Close to Magee, particularly if you won't be commuting during rush hour through the Ft Pitt. Even during rush hour, you'd be joining the queue to get through the tunnels half way down Greentree hill.

You'll save money on wage tax at City View, its right on the other side of the city limits, wage tax in Green Tree borough is 1%, its 3% in the city.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:19 PM

194 posts, read 246,526 times
^ Just posting to point out that when I read the new topics and saw your name I first read it as I_Like_Sperm

Old 12-20-2015, 04:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,904 times
Shadyside and East Liberty are your two best bets. Nice variety of grocery stores in the area: Market District, Giant Eagle, Aldi, Trader Joe's, Whole Food.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:16 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I hate the east end part of town with a passion, but reading your requirements it sounds like you are describing Shadyside to a t.

The East End is really great. A large and growing set of amenities, a very easy commute to Oakland, and a weird way it puts up the hair on the neck of some people for reasons I can't figure out. It's really even nicer than Omaha because in Omaha you really don't have much of a choice about driving everywhere.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The East End is really great. A large and growing set of amenities, a very easy commute to Oakland, and a weird way it puts up the hair on the neck of some people for reasons I can't figure out. It's really even nicer than Omaha because in Omaha you really don't have much of a choice about driving everywhere.
I wish I could explain my hatred.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:33 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,515 times
Mt washington is not as bad as you were told in the winter. Honestly I have never found it to be any worse than most other neighborhoods. the 3 main access roads down the hill are always first to get attention by the city. Having lived there for several winters, I never once had a problem.

I actually may have a place that meets your criteria opening up right when you are moving here ( DM me if you want more details) but mt washington does not have a fancy grocery store. The shop and save is light years better than it used to be, but its no Co-op or market district.

other areas to consider are Point breeze, highland park, and regent sq. However only point breeze ( and not really all of it) is really within easy walking distance to a grocery store.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:35 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
That new apartment building right across Forbes from Magee will theoretically be open by July: Expand your VUE of Pittsburgh Living | SkyVUE Apartments

Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I wish I could explain my hatred.
Self-awareness is really overrated. Not joking about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh