Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:36 PM

664 posts, read 807,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Haha, no - I wish. You stated that it needed a lot of restoration. It seems to be in excellent shape. Just trying to figure out what you meant. I hate to think of someone coming in and ripping out all those original windows and original tile.

You seem like the perfect candidate for new construction. I hear they are making some really nice vinyl faux divided light windows these days. Good luck!
On the contrary.

You do understand the difference between "restoration" and "renovation", right?

When did I ever say "RENOVATION"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 PM

618 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
A lot of the floor tiles in the vestibule and entry need to be redone.

Many windows need to be replaced.
Quote:
On the contrary.

You do understand the difference between "restoration" and "renovation", right?

When did I ever say "RENOVATION"?
Did I say renovation? You'll note I followed your "a lot of restoration is necessary" formulation exactly. As quoted above, you indicated you would remove and replace the original windows and "redo" the tile. As tiles were often set in a hard mortar bed, redoing them would seem to me to mean demolishing and redoing them. Doesn't sound like restoration to me at all. Do you know the difference?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Those windows are not original. Particularly those dreadful casements that don't match the double-hungs.

And yes, I've been through several RESTORATIONS.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:57 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a tour you can click on for the one on N. Highland with a lot of pictures, and they're just beautiful.
Don't mind me, just /drooling here...

Old 01-23-2015, 03:27 PM

281 posts, read 340,625 times
Quote:
A lot of the floor tiles in the vestibule and entry need to be redone.

Much of the woodwork in the entry foyer needs to be rehabbed (it appears that years of careless mopping with harsh cleaning agents has stripped the wood down near the floor).

Ditto for many of the doors.

Many windows need to be replaced.

I never said it wasn't a gorgeous house. But work DOES need to be done.
The floor tile looks fine from the photos. What's wrong with it?

Why do the windows need replaced?

You'd rather spend several millions to build a replica than get some authentic windows replicated?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post

You'd rather spend several millions to build a replica than get some authentic windows replicated?
Sure, why wouldn't you build a 21st century copy of a 19th century copy of a Renaissance villa? Neo-neo-Italianate, the neighbors will be talking about you for years!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
It's worn. Apparently you and I have vastly different definitions of "fine".

Quote:
Because I don't like them.

Quote:
It's not about the windows. It's about a litany of reasons for which this house is not appropriate for me. That should be good enough for you. It's certainly all you deserve to hear from me.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
in my 22+ years of construction i have worked on almost any type of job, i have built a castle in peters twp, i have built a marble palace in collier, i have put in indoor pools, i have installed stripper poles and sex swings in basement dungeons, i worked on a new house built for a little person. i think i have seen it all. so if the op has the cash, and this is what he wants, no one can change his mind.

sewickley has alot of fine builders, i am from the south hills so i cant recommend anyone in your area, but most specialty builders can handle any request.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
whoever built that deck on the bellvue house should be castrated.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Thanks. I couldn't have said it better (without sounding snobbish).

And at the risk of sounding snobbish, I've been quite disappointed with what passes for "high end" finishes these days. A "Sosso" house (apparently he's one of the top builders in Pittsburgh these days) just completed in a plan in Franklin Park listed for more than a million dollars (!!!!) smallish with an overblown master suite and three small bedrooms (and not even a living room, just one of those dreadful "great rooms" that have kitchen appliances clustered on one end) had oversized, boxy rooms trimmed out with the same 3-inch baseboard throughout and stock balustrades they use in much lower-end Maronda homes (and I'm not knocking Maronda homes, I'm only making a market-rate comparison here).

Yes, I've been doing my homework, as you can see.

For a MILLION DOLLARS in the Pittsburgh area, I was expecting at least some architectural detail and craftsmanship, not just stock woodwork and cabinetry slapped up inside of a giant empty box (on a crappy hillside lot, no less, that aside from the footprint of the house and driveway was otherwise completely unuseable).

This is why I'm putting feelers out for anyone who might know of any contractors -- even the small guys who typically don't compete with these big guys -- who would be interested in building a house to historic specs.
I meant to give you a link to this group: Western Pennsylvania Craftsmen's Guild - Stripping Refinishing - They are old school craftspeople who specialize in restoring woodwork, stained glass, etc. in historic homes and buildings in the PGH area. They are connected to builders and architects who do that type of work. I'll bet they could steer you to a builder who does what you're looking for. I can't afford it now, but I hope to someday have George Starz restore the woodwork in my home. His work is phenomenal.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh