Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Savannah but I would chose Savannah's bar and restaurant scene over Pittsburgh.

It's like saying, where would you rather vacation - Charleston or Pittsburgh. No contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I've never been to Savannah but I would chose Savannah's bar and restaurant scene over Pittsburgh.

It's like saying, where would you rather vacation - Charleston or Pittsburgh. No contest.
I've never been to Yemen, but I'd prefer to live in Yemen over Pittsburgh. It's a lot sunnier there.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:14 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
There are seven times more people in the Pittsburgh metro area than Savannah's, so I would have to imagine that just about everything there is significantly smaller in scope than in Pittsburgh.

If Carson Street is your baseline for a nightlife area, you are not going to find many cities that can match that in terms of density and total area -- especially not in the South.
Population, size, and even sheer volume are no guarantee of a better nightlife.

Just look at South Beach. Top 5 probably in the US, 40,000 people give or take, and the whole of Miami Beach is only 7 miles.

I've always thought a good indication of nightlife is if the city is able to draw in a crowd from a larger city/metro like Providence does with people from Boston and NYC.

I suppose that would ask do people from Atlanta/Athens/Charleston come to Savannah for the nightlife and do people come from Cleveland/Youngstown/Wheeling come to Pittsburgh?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
I haven't been to Savannah, but would imagine it is largely one-dimensional nightlife. They know who travels there for vacation - and they cater to that demographic. I doubt the locals scene is much to talk about given the small size. Every small touristy city I've ever been to has been like that, anyway. Even larger touristy cities can be like that.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:21 PM

419 posts, read 446,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The Strip and Station square are barely worth a mention in the night life column anymore. Lawrenceville, Downtown, and Shadyside, all have more nightlife than the strip or station square. Arguably some other neighborhoods too. I think the North Shore has chipped away a lot at the "big box store" version of nightlife that Station Square used to own.

As for Savannah, I doubt many people have experience enough with both cities to comment. Why are you comparing the two?
For those of us over age forty-five, we remember when Oakland was king of the night life in the 70s and 80s.
Suburbanites would mix with college students from Pitt and CMU creating quite the party atmosphere. Although there is still a bit of nightlife in Oakland, it is mostly college students. Most suburbanites and tourists go to the South Side or the Strip.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I've never been to Yemen, but I'd prefer to live in Yemen over Pittsburgh. It's a lot sunnier there.
and less trolls on forums, I'm told. Not that I've ever been

Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
and less trolls on forums, I'm told. Not that I've ever been
They cut your hands off for trolling over there

Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM

28 posts, read 36,539 times
I have been to Savannah a few times and it is definitely a tourist destination. I don't see Pittsburgh as a tourist destination at all. I would say that there is plenty of nightlife in both cities but it is very different. Depends on what you are looking for, I guess.

Historical southern riverfront destination city vs. rust belt city with a mediocre riverfront undergoing revitalization?

Last edited by OZ2012; 01-24-2015 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-24-2015, 03:54 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ2012 View Post
I have been to Savannah a few times and it is definitely a tourist destination. I don't see Pittsburgh as a tourist destination at all. I would say that there is plenty of nightlife in both cities but it is very different. Depends on what you are looking for, I guess.

Historical southern riverfront destination city vs. rust belt city with a mediocre riverfront undergoing revitalization?
Savannah Stop Over - Savannah hosts many of the same groups featured at SXSW, but in a much more intimate location and at a fraction of the cost. Over 80 bands fill Savannah's downtown historic district.

Not sure Pittsburgh has anything like this.

Savannah's St. Patrick's Day (March 6th - 17th) - Organizers say that the 2012 crowd was well over a million people. The St. Patrick's Day Parade in Savannah is the second largest in the US, right behind New York.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Savannah Stop Over - Savannah hosts many of the same groups featured at SXSW, but in a much more intimate location and at a fraction of the cost. Over 80 bands fill Savannah's downtown historic district.

Not sure Pittsburgh has anything like this.
AaronPGH will be along shortly to deal with what you just said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh