Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times

Advertisements

I know NOTHING about the tech field, but thought this was interesting. Granted the avg salary is less in Pgh than other places, but it seems to be increasing. Not sure why they pay so much in STL.

The two cities with the biggest tech salary gains are St. Louis, where average compensation climbed 23.1% and Pittsburgh with a 16.8% increase. The average tech salary in St. Louis is $93,800. The gains there aren’t so much a result of technology company hiring, but tech staffing across the board in all sorts of businesses. Says Goli, “Look at any company today and it is turning to technology because its consumers are increasingly mobile.” The same is true in Pittsburgh where tech jobs pay an average of $79,600.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanada...r-tech-jobs-4/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:15 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
there's something wrong with their numbers when an average salary in an entire field in a metro area goes up 24% in one year. there is no way that actually happened.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
OK, start the flaming! That's a pretty low average salary for Pittsburgh. I thought when I saw this thread title that it probably meant the salaries were low to begin with. It's kind of like "most improved". The numbers show I was correct.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
I wouldn't put much stock in a Dice survey. Dice is about as relevant as Monster.com in 2015. This is coming from both a job seeker and when my team was hiring through Dice. It got us no leads and it was filled with junk contracting jobs. In fact, simply searching for "software developer" in Pittsburgh on Dice right now will get you 90% junk jobs.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 AM

618 posts, read 692,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
OK, start the flaming! That's a pretty low average salary for Pittsburgh. I thought when I saw this thread title that it probably meant the salaries were low to begin with. It's kind of like "most improved". The numbers show I was correct.
Congratulations to you indeed, you've successfully pieced together that lower salaries as a starting point plus an increase will result in a higher salary that is still lower than higher cost of living metros. What would we ever do without you here? Nice work!! Subtle flaming complete!!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Quote:
That's a pretty low average salary for Pittsburgh.
Relative to what? $79,600 is almost twice the median family income in the Pittsburgh metro.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Relative to what? $79,600 is almost twice the median family income in the Pittsburgh metro.
Relative to tech salaries elsewhere. From the article:
"nationwide average of $89,450."

Now, not that much lower, but certainly prior to this year the salaries were much lower, 16.8% lower.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Quote:
Relative to tech salaries elsewhere. From the article:
"nationwide average of $89,450."

Now, not that much lower, but certainly prior to this year the salaries were much lower, 16.8% lower.
Sorry, your phrasing was ambiguous. "That's a pretty low average salary for Pittsburgh." I thought you meant, "In the context of Pittsburgh, that's a pretty low salary." Which it clearly isn't.

But I guess what you meant was, "Pittsburgh's average salary is pretty low, compared to other cities." Which I guess is true, but obviously you have to factor in the COL in these other cities. I'm also very skeptical of such a rapid Y/Y increase for St. Louis, and suspect that stat has something to do with small sample size. (No offense to St. Louis, which is a city I really love, but I have never once in my life heard a reference to a substantial tech industry there.)

Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Sorry, your phrasing was ambiguous. "That's a pretty low average salary for Pittsburgh." I thought you meant, "In the context of Pittsburgh, that's a pretty low salary." Which it clearly isn't.

But I guess what you meant was, "Pittsburgh's average salary is pretty low, compared to other cities." Which I guess is true, but obviously you have to factor in the COL in these other cities. I'm also very skeptical of such a rapid Y/Y increase for St. Louis, and suspect that stat has something to do with small sample size. (No offense to St. Louis, which is a city I really love, but I have never once in my life heard a reference to a substantial tech industry there.)
Yeah, I could have said it better. I'm totally unawre of what's happening in St. Louis (in re: tech anyway).

Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
I suspect some posters in this thread wouldn't believe Pittsburgh tech salaries were on the rise given any piece of evidence. But thay are. And rapidly. ATC is right in that there is some catching up to do. But its happening. I can't disclose 3 of my students salaries for jobs post Masters who are starting right now locally, but believe me, none of them start with an 8 ..

And Kat, Google Pgh, the town you used to live nearly 30 years or so ago, now employs > 600 people. Source - horses mouth, and that might be another reason the average salary is on the rise here. And the growth of the IBM Watsom team - you got a job offer from them yet, ATC? They pay well ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh