Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times

Advertisements

Petition drive seeks to postpone Cosby

I am no fan of Mr. Creepy, for reasons other than these allegations. He certainly endeared himself to certain folks with the legendary "pound cake speech" but I wasn't one of them. Had he been a man of integrity, he would have targeted his remarks to a certain audience out of caring and concern and not just pandering to seek adoration from those who do not care. That is how I knew this man was a jerk years ago when certain people were praising him for the scolding speech that just warmed their hearts.

This topic has been aired by two different hosts on KDKA, Robert Mangino and today Mike Pintek. The woman who started this silly petition, Diana Fletcher, gave Mangino some bizarre explanation for why it was any of her business to be trying to block the appearance. She talked about how Pittsburgh is a rejuvenated city and how much she cares about Pittsburgh's reputation, blah blah blah. You would think that she was talking about a big old gated metropolitan community called Pittsburgh the way she was talking about trying to safeguard the honor of Pittsburgh by keeping Bill Cosby out.

The woman is absolutely ridiculous, but I find the hosts on KDKA even more questionable for the kid gloves with which they handled this woman. Now I can just imagine how Pintek might have responded to someone who, let's say, started a petition to block Ted Nugent, or someone very controversial like that. I can't stand Nugent, but it would be none of my darned business to try to block other people who wanted to hear him or anyone else in a "private" forum not funded with any public money or something of that sort. This is America, hello?

I have no idea what libertarian Pintek thinks of Nugent, or Rush, or anyone of that ilk, but I bet he would not treat the petition starter so gently as this woman has been treated. He would be calling anyone involved in the silliness Barack Hussein Obama/Al Sharpton liberal nutjobs. Some of the talk radio on KDKA is enough of an embarrassment to Pittsburgh, but this woman is making the city look just like the small-minded, unsophisticated, provincial city that some people think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Pound cake speech?

Regarding the article, it says she used change.org to petition them which is the world laziest form of protest used by coffee shop activists the world over & accomplishes exactly nothing.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM

281 posts, read 340,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Petition drive seeks to postpone Cosby it would be none of my darned business to try to block other people who wanted to hear him or anyone else in a "private" forum not funded with any public money or something of that sort. This is America, hello?
If the petitioner wants to urge that the show not happen, she has every right to try and make that happen. Especially in America.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
If the petitioner wants to urge that the show not happen, she has every right to try and make that happen. Especially in America.
I suppose if one could convince Mr. Cosby's promoters to take a financial shave, or find the funds so they don't have to, that's their right.

The contracts have been signed, the funds have been expended, buying them out is the way the show is cancelled. Postponing the show isn't likely, Cosby's schedule is already set up for several months at least I'm sure.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 PM

60 posts, read 68,565 times
The man has been charged with no crime, let alone convicted of one.

Do you believe in the basic American concept of innocent until proven guilty, or not?

Because next time, it could be that you are the one accused of things many years after they supposedly occurred, and have no way of viably defending yourself against such claims.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_jones View Post
The man has been charged with no crime, let alone convicted of one.

Do you believe in the basic American concept of innocent until proven guilty, or not?

Because next time, it could be that you are the one accused of things many years after they supposedly occurred, and have no way of viably defending yourself against such claims.
If you had a daughter, would you allow her to visit Mr. Cosby alone to be "mentored" by him?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I was a big fan of Cos back in the 60's when he first came on the scene. I had all his albums and knew his routines by heart. I think the fact that very few friends have come to his defense indicates that some of what happened is true. Still a sad story.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
If you had a daughter, would you allow her to visit Mr. Cosby alone to be "mentored" by him?
That would be a precautionary measure and not based on fact. The point is, in today's world, we have gone back to lynch mobs via the web/media. What I find interesting is the lynch mobs and their belief are so strong without fact that even when people are found innocent by those that actually were presented a lot of material, the lynch mob will still blame the person accused. Just look at that officer Wilson case. Evidence clearly shows Brown going for Wilson's gun and it going off in the squad car, yet we somehow are still blaming the officer. It is a very strange propaganda/hype filled world. Headlines are all that is needed, without any actual research. I don't believe the news media one bit about much of anything. In Crosby's case, the women seem to be looking united and it looks bad for Crosby, but I still feel people should be innocent until all facts are presented.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I was a big fan of Cos back in the 60's when he first came on the scene. I had all his albums and knew his routines by heart. I think the fact that very few friends have come to his defense indicates that some of what happened is true. Still a sad story.
Same here. I still love "Chicken Heart", Buck Buck #1, etc.

But there's too many people coming out and saying he did it, and it's all the same story. Plus, even when he was younger, he mentioned "spanish fly" all the time....

Old 01-28-2015, 02:16 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:

In Crosby's case, the women seem to be looking united and it looks bad
for Crosby, but I still feel people should be innocent until all facts are
presented.
I'm a little confused. Are we talking about Bing, or Sidney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh