Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 44,971 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for me to commute from Pittsburgh to DC and back on the daily basis? Are there any public services that offer this? Here's the thing I'm trying to relocate. I found a really nice house in a decent area. My job is here in MD but the main office is in P'burg. I messed up my opportunity to transfer by not closing on the house last week. There may still be some hope there. In the mean time I am looking for work like crazy. I'm really not trying to go to a temp agency. My lease is almost up here and I'm obligated to this new house now. So in case I don't find suitable work is it possible to commute? I know I will be having a long day but in the end it'll all be worth it. If it is please give me all the information on whatever companies. Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Considering that it's 250 miles between downtown Pittsburgh and Severn, MD... Why not? You'll get lots of time during your commute to think about how you should have done the absolute minimum amount amount of research before committing yourself to such a ridiculous situation, or how you should have bought that Prius.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 07-24-2007 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I think on a daily basis it would not be "doable". If you could work from home and go once a week, on a Monday or Friday, maybe, but even that would get old.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 PM

101 posts, read 353,426 times
I agree that it would be too difficult to do on a daily basis. Maybe from Philadelphia, but not from Pittsburgh. Judging from your post, it seems that you may be looking for some sort of public transporation. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any companies that would transport you in the morning and bring you back in the evening, other than possible flights that are not cost-effective.

I lived in Northern Virginia in 2002-2003 and drove to Western Pennsylvania every weekend for about a year. It generally takes 3 1/2 to 4 hours but occasionally could be longer depending on traffic. The drive is pretty easy, though, but not easy enough to add 8 hours to your workday. I don't see a problem doing it on a weekly basis. Go there Sunday night and come back Friday night. You'll have to decide if 5 nights a week at a hotel is worth it.

Maaz

Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
I drive from NOVA (Leesburg) to the South Hills (McMurray) alot to visit our old neighborhood. It takes 4hours +. with traffic it's a good 5hours. Daily commute??? no way. My hubby did the stay in DC for the week and commute on weekends for 3 months and that got real old real fast.

Beg for the transfer.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Almost exactly 4 hours to Dulles airport with traffic...and that's on THIS side of DC. Daily commute? Maybe if you had a private jet, and even then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

CaptainO

Old 07-24-2007, 03:03 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,813 times
That would be one crazy commute!! My BIL commutes it but he only comes home on weekends. He makes big big bucks which he is not able to do in Pittsburgh. Even with that I think he is crazy for doing it even with a weekend commute.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,291 times
The most extreme commuting I've read about concerned the hardy few who flew from Salt Lake City to SoCal.

I'd start thinking about the costs of driving, flying or renting. I'd look at renting out the new house and finding something month-to-month close to your current job. I suspect when you weigh the costs of the various scenarios that the rental option is by far the best.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:19 PM

114 posts, read 343,613 times
PIT to BWI flights are between 39.00 and 94.00 one way on Southwest. My husband has been commuting there for a few months, he lives in Gaithersburg M-Thurs. many people we know do this, but VERY FEW on a daily basis...usually it is 4 days out, 3 days home. So, yes it is doable, but it is costly, and 99.9% of people that do this don't bear the cost...the company does. Driving? very costly and the wear and tear on you and the vehicle would be overwhelming!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
Driving? very costly and the wear and tear on you and the vehicle would be overwhelming!
For sure. An 8 hour commute with what? a 10 hour work day? The type of job you're willing to drive 8 hours for expects more than 8 hours of punching the clock I'm sure. That leaves you 6 hours for sleep if you hit the pillow the second you walk in the door, and drive away the moment you wake up. Factor in a meal here and there and the occasional shower and it is probably more like 4 hours sleep a night Ain't no way!

Cap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh