Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:17 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Its fear mongering, everyone is scared. i used to drive my bike from shadyside boys club to lawrenceville one with my cousins when i was ~10.

Now if i let my 10 year old walk alone further than 2 houses away im negligent in the eyes of the neighborhood.
Or, you might get a visit from the po-po, and CYS. Preposterous, is it?

Investigation into Md.

The social services people threatened to take their kids away unless the father would sign a 'parenting plan' of theirs. (Sorry if this was covered in another thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Its fear mongering, everyone is scared. i used to drive my bike from shadyside boys club to lawrenceville one with my cousins when i was ~10.

Now if i let my 10 year old walk alone further than 2 houses away im negligent in the eyes of the neighborhood.
Fear mongering sells to make money for networks. The end result is people are afraid of pretty much everything. It sure was nice in the 70's and 80's before the Internet boom and the 24 hour news mess.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:40 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Statistically, I think we are living in some of the safest times in the past 50 years, but everyone thinks we all are living in the middle of Bagdad after Hussein was murdered.
Where I'm at right now everyone has at the very least, homes with razor wire or electric fence with an ADT system promising an armed response & if your a bit more affluent a private security guard; makes safety complaints about pittsburgh pretty funny from here.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Fear mongering sells to make money for networks. The end result is people are afraid of pretty much everything. It sure was nice in the 70's and 80's before the Internet boom and the 24 hour news mess.
Well that's just not really true.

I remember growing up in the 80s in fear of some mysterious White Van that was going to come steal all of the kids.

But yeah, it's pretty safe. Probably no safer or no more dangerous than it's ever been, really.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I remember growing up in the 80s in fear of some mysterious White Van that was going to come steal all of the kids.
But yeah, it's pretty safe. Probably no safer or no more dangerous than it's ever been, really.
But there was McGruff the crime dog back then to thwart such threats

Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:

I was terrified of white vans. White vans were worst than Jason in the 1980s.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Well, you'd be surprised. I'm not sure how old you are...but let's see the "fear mongering" that existed before the internet:

-killer bees would work their way into the United States and swarm and kill little kids, especially if you are wearing red
-Nostradamus predicted an epic battle between an eagle (the United States?) and a bear (the USSR?) - note, the "seer" didn't say anything about the nuclear explosions in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
-(some of you should love this one) the dangers of marijuana use
-the evil of luciferian-inspired heavy metal music and how it compels adolescents to kill....

So really, nothing has changed much! People have always been overly negative and haven't trusted in diplomacy and science to solve problems.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I remember that!!! "The man in the white van"! That made me very scared walking after dark.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Where I'm at right now everyone has at the very least, homes with razor wire or electric fence with an ADT system promising an armed response & if your a bit more affluent a private security guard; makes safety complaints about pittsburgh pretty funny from here.
Still, if I ever buy a house, I WILL probably go overboard for protection. I'm sorry, but home invasions are NOT that uncommon. There were at least two in the last 2 weeks in the metro area (Arlington, and South Side).

Old 02-13-2015, 02:13 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Do you know of Sean Sellers? To his dying day, Sellers believed it was the real presence of evil that had him do what he did. He was never found to be insane, and if you heard him speak, seemed pretty reasonable - neither overly intelligent, nor someone who seemed lowly educated. Just a normal middle class white protestant.

I think there ARE cases where a killer had NO childhood trauma. There might be some merit to the argument that society's constant images of violence and aggression do shape someone's conscious.
The challenge is that people don't remember their early childhood. So your caregiver could have left you alone in a crib all day every day for years and you wouldn't remember it. You would, however, grow up with attachment issues and a lack of empathy because in your early childhood you learned that people did not care about you. We don't usually know this information about people but this kind of thing is pretty common.I don't think a person with this experience would appear 'mentally ill' but they may have issues with emotion regulation and empathy.
Of course I don't believe in 'evil' or the devil. I also think of horses, not zebras, when I hear hoofbeats--it seems much more likely that a young man who killed his parents had an early childhood experience that negatively impacted their brain development than it is that he was 'possessed by evil'.
if media violence had that much impact we would have a whole lot more people committing violent crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh