Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times

Advertisements

Expose the pipe and drill the holes, the holes should not be in the bottom of the pipe, but the midway point from the bottom to middle of the pipe. If you can add some river rock around the pipe to keep dirt out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
If you're going to do any digging I'd call 811. It's unlikely you'll actually hit anything since you know what you're digging for and it's probably not very deep, but it's something that your neighbor may try to report you for if you don't call.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Expose the pipe and drill the holes, the holes should not be in the bottom of the pipe, but the midway point from the bottom to middle of the pipe. If you can add some river rock around the pipe to keep dirt out
Ok teach!

Another question now, if I may?

Should I dig a little farther on each side of the pipe so that the river rock begins at the bottom of the pipe and how close to the holes should I stop with the rock?

Thank you so much for educating me!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:33 AM

Default Great Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If you're going to do any digging I'd call 811. It's unlikely you'll actually hit anything since you know what you're digging for and it's probably not very deep, but it's something that your neighbor may try to report you for if you don't call.
Thank you so much for the suggestion and I will call them today and maybe even ask for some type of written verification of the call.

As another helpful poster suggested that I do everything to the T, not giving my neighbor any chance of reporting me for doing something that could violate any codes.

I'm so grateful to all of you for offering me suggestions and ways to help me with this problem.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:06 AM

The more gravel you can get around the pipe the better it will work, basically you are drilling the holes so that when the ground water reaches the holes it will drain into the pipe and flow away, the gravel keeps the holes from clogging and allows the water to flow better than dirt would. If you can take the gravel to right below ground level and use good clean topsoil for grass planting you can collect most of the surface water.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM

Guy2073,

Thank you so much for all of your detailed advice for me. I definitely will use it!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM

Update:

I called the borough this morning and a guy from the streets department came out and tested the drains that are capped and they're clear, so I can do as suggested with the existing pipes. He also had guys come out and put asphalt onto the curb coming into my driveway as I could be getting runoff from a street that is set above my street but it's width is wider than my driveway.

When the 3 borough trucks were here, within 5 minutes my neighbor drove up his driveway and got out of the car and told them they better not be causing any problems for him. The Mgr. assured him no problems would be caused to his side and he offered to raise my neighbors' but he told them not to touch his property. He then told them things have been this way for 60 years and there's never been a problem. The Mgr. politely explained to him that I definitely have a problem and it's their job to try to help. He told them if what they did affected his driveway in any manner, they would be more than happy to come out and resolve his issue.

I also called 1800 for digging and put in a claim The gas company came out this afternoon and marked my front lawn to show where the meter and the line runs. I assume the other companies will be showing up this week because they told me I could start digging on the 23rd until May 5th. Anthing after that, I'll have to call back and put in for a new claim.

I have a call into the Building Inspector about the wall and am waiting to hear from them.

Please know that I appreciate all of your helpful information!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Great for you. Nothing he can do now. Keep following protocol and I expect you'll be in good shape.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Default Thanks for the rep!

Thanks for all your help and I will follow protocol. I'm looking forward to the day that I see all that water pour into his yard! I will take pictures of it and post them if it happens. Maybe it'll prove me wrong, but at least he'll know he's not going to be diverting his water onto my property anymore.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:18 PM

I deal with people like this on a daily basis, you have a far higher tolerance level than me. Glad things are going well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh