Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I do love that the railway was buried in part of the South Side, to open up river access. That was pretty amazing actually. Sadly, we can't keep up with our own roadways as it is. I think if more people would cycle Pittsburgh would be a much nicer city. It is happening slowly but surely though. Way more cyclists on the roadways this winter than I have ever seen in my life!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Give me a list of the tunnels you're talking about in those states, please.
This.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Give me a list of the tunnels you're talking about in those states, please.
All of them. During non-peak times when there's little traffic in the NYC tunnels, drivers will go the speed limit or above. They don't slow to 10-15mph below the speed limit if there's clear sailing. You go as fast as the traffic will bear. In Boston, even prior to the Big Dig, the tunnel that included the exit to Logan was a speedway. On the Wilbur Cross Pkwy in CT, the tunnel just past the last New Haven exit... no slowing down.

As someone who lived in those areas most of my life and who regularly drove those roads, coming here and dealing with drivers with "tunnel fear" used to be amusing. Now after 12 years of it, it's just annoying.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Isn't that article making the case that European style social democracies deliver more comprehensive services than the US system, per unit of personal expenditure? Isn't it saying that we'd be better off paying more taxes in a system like that? Isn't it saying that the "lower-taxes" crowd are merely deluding themselves into thinking that they have some discretion in paying for services that the US system doesn't currently provide but that, in actuality, there is very little discretion and that they're deluding themselves, ultimately paying more?

To all the above, BTW, I agree.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Isn't that article making the case that European style social democracies deliver more comprehensive services than the US system, per unit of personal expenditure? Isn't it saying that we'd be better off paying more taxes in a system like that? Isn't it saying that the "lower-taxes" crowd are merely deluding themselves into thinking that they have some discretion in paying for services that the US system doesn't currently provide but that, in actuality, there is very little discretion and that they're deluding themselves, ultimately paying more?

To all the above, BTW, I agree.
The problem however I see in the US is that even if taxes were to increase, even significantly, our bumbling politicians would manage to flush most if it away on stupid stuff or argue that x area shouldn't recieve any $ unless they are; go hog wild with pension promises to supporters, etc. rather then to the benefit of all - Europe seems smarter about what it spends money on in addition to collecting a larger percentage of it. You need the former mindset before the higher revenue collection makes any difference.

I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans would be against some higher taxes if they believed they would see something of value in return - of course the onus is on those same americans to put better leaders in office.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
All of them. During non-peak times when there's little traffic in the NYC tunnels, drivers will go the speed limit or above. They don't slow to 10-15mph below the speed limit if there's clear sailing. You go as fast as the traffic will bear. In Boston, even prior to the Big Dig, the tunnel that included the exit to Logan was a speedway. On the Wilbur Cross Pkwy in CT, the tunnel just past the last New Haven exit... no slowing down.

As someone who lived in those areas most of my life and who regularly drove those roads, coming here and dealing with drivers with "tunnel fear" used to be amusing. Now after 12 years of it, it's just annoying.

The Squirrell Hill tunnel is only congested during rush hour. Ive used Pittsburgh tunnels for most of my life. The tunnels are a breeze during non peak hours and weekends. City activities like sporting events and concerts can impact tunnel congestion at any time. I am sure this is the case in the cities that you listed.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
You're acting as if the Parkways East or West cut through the heart of any neighborhoods. The Parkway East passes in between neighborhoods, not through them, and there's literally no development near the Parkway West inside the city limits. They're quite possibly the two least obtrusive urban highways in the United States. And while the Parkway North whacked a portion of East Allegheny, at least part of it near Tripoli Street is below grade, which makes cut-and-cover a relatively easy endeavor there.
I'm not "acting" like anything. I didn't even mention a specific highway in my post. I agree that Pittsburgh is relatively better off than other cities in this regard, but we didn't exactly get off scot-free either.

In Pittsburgh city limits I think 65, 579, and 279/28 are all pretty obtrusive.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM

618 posts, read 692,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The problem however I see in the US is that even if taxes were to increase, even significantly, our bumbling politicians would manage to flush most if it away on stupid stuff or argue that x area shouldn't recieve any $ unless they are; go hog wild with pension promises to supporters, etc. rather then to the benefit of all - Europe seems smarter about what it spends money on in addition to collecting a larger percentage of it. You need the former mindset before the higher revenue collection makes any difference.

I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans would be against some higher taxes if they believed they would see something of value in return - of course the onus is on those same americans to put better leaders in office.
I agree with this. The accountability and, above all, the skill in public administration is not there to spend the dollars effectively. It seems to me the incessant prattling about taxes being too high would be more effectively substituted with discourse regarding the effective use of those tax dollars. Entrenched interests are of course notoriously difficult to unseat..

Old 02-27-2015, 12:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post

I honestly think that the biggest problem with the American political system is that one of the two major parties is comprised of people who reflexively distrust government and believe that intrinsically, it does far more harm than good. Within that context it's difficult to get them to engage on the business of governing. There's an intellectual disconnect and the American people don't hold them responsible for their governmental nihilism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh