Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Way more cyclists on the roadways this winter than I have ever seen in my life!
Agreed! As a delivery driver I hope to see MORE people cycling as the warmer weather approaches, too. I don't mind waiting patiently to pass a cyclist with a four-foot safety buffer if it means one less SUV in front of me that I can't see around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:12 PM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Odd that those same tunnel characteristics don't slow down drivers in NY/NJ/CT/MA.
No.

We just get fatal firey crashes that SHUT DOWN entire arteries for hours because it takes forever to clear out the wreckage.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm not "acting" like anything. I didn't even mention a specific highway in my post. I agree that Pittsburgh is relatively better off than other cities in this regard, but we didn't exactly get off scot-free either.

In Pittsburgh city limits I think 65, 579, and 279/28 are all pretty obtrusive.
Neighborhoods grew up AROUND 65 and 28. Those roads preceded the neighborhoods they "obtrude".

Old 02-27-2015, 01:20 PM

111 posts, read 114,707 times
The "Tunnel Monster" fear is a story that people tell themselves to feel superior to other drivers. While cars probably do slow down slightly approaching the tunnel (thanks in large part to the hundreds of flashing warning signs), the bottleneck is so obviously caused by the merging lanes prior to the tunnel and the explosion of exits immediately after the tunnel.

Unless you think that people are also afraid of the stretch of the Parkway near the Green Tree exit.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:26 PM

Even if the lanes don't merge prior to the mouth of the tunnel, it is human nature -- and COMMON SENSE -- to be cautious before plunging into a black abyss while your eyes are still adjusted to bright light outside the tunnel.

To blindly and blithely plunge forward without fully knowing what you're plunging into makes you an "idiot" -- and just as stupid and irresponsible as those idiots who blindly maintain speed and plow straight through fog and winter whiteouts -- triggering massive multi-vehicle pileups.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:30 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Neighborhoods grew up AROUND 65 and 28. Those roads preceded the neighborhoods they "obtrude".
Yeah!!!!...this photograph is clearly of a neighborhood that doesn't yet exist:

Retrographer - Hippodrome

Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM

We can't remain stuck in the days of trolley cars.

Do you still light your stove with a match?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Not in city limits. Once you get outside of the city 65 is much less "highway" feeling and 28 goes through quite a few old boroughs that predate 28 as the type of highway it is now.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
We can't remain stuck in the days of trolley cars.

Do you still light your stove with a match?
Error acknowledgment accepted.

To address the latest attempt at misdirection, with regard to best transportation practices for urban America in the 21st century, I'd buy trolleys and short urban highways.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Not in city limits. Once you get outside of the city 65 is much less "highway" feeling and 28 goes through quite a few old boroughs that predate 28 as the type of highway it is now.
65 was completely reworked and rerouted within the city limits more than 20 years ago. Prior to that it was an absolute nightmare commuting into the city on 65.

The "neighborhoods" it replaced were derelict, crime-ridden, and block after block of fire hazards.

Sometimes, progress is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh