Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 8,479 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'm planning on attending the MAPW program at Carnegie Mellon in the fall and I'm trying to get a feel of Pittsburgh (cool restaurants nearby/shopping/markets etc.) and also I'm trying to figure out places I should check out to live. I've read poor reviews about a lot of apartments that are more affordable, and also about some rental companies, so I'd like specific titles of apartment complexes/rental companies (possibly the exact buildings?) if you have any advice. I've been exploring the forums already and read some posts, but nobody really lists specific places to rent from, more general area.

I'm visiting the campus in two weeks, but won't have a chance to look at any apartments while I'm there at that point so I'm relying on pictures and reviews! I'm a young female so safety is my number one priority. Also, I have a small 7lbs terror of a poodle and she's 10, so very tame.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
What is your budget?
You will be hard-pressed to find larger apartment buildings that allow dogs.
Many grad students live in Squirrel Hill, you *might* find an apartment in one of the large houses that have been divided into apartments, but again, dogs are hard to place.
You should check with CMU's housing office when you are here.

That said, I understand Walnut Capital allows dogs in some of their properties.

Last edited by doo dah; 03-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: edited to add

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 AM

80 posts, read 95,735 times
I'm in a pretty similar situation. Going to CMU for a masters program this fall and will be attending Open House this week. I'll let you know what I find as far as apartments and other info about the area.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 PM

Yeah, I saw that when looking for apartments. Many apartments are very cat friendly though! My budget is up to $1000.

@Ambitions: Really? That's exciting! I'm going to the one on the 27th, so only 10 more days! Very excited to see the campus :-)

Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 AM

20 posts, read 36,007 times
Hi! Current CMU student here

First off, congrats! CMU is a great place and Pittsburgh is now one of my favorite cities in the world!

You'll be able to find a pretty decent 1 bedroom for $1000/month. The area around CMU is pretty much the most expensive in the city, but still affordable by those standard. I live in a 3 br apartment with two friends and rent + utilities is about $650/month. I live up beeler though, which is where a lot of the undergrads live. As a grad student, if you want to be close to campus, look for something on fifth ave. If you are willing to live a little bit further, I know a lot of the grad students live in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, both of which are super nice areas.

I can't really give any advice on an exact apartment building, but I hope this helps!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:53 PM

All the responses help :-) Anyone have any good experiences with any rental companies? I've heard some bad things about Sterling Land, but I did find some other that I haven't really heard too much about. The apartments do look nice though! I'll list them below to see if anyone knows anything.

Mozart Management
Regent Square Rentals
PMC Property Group
Steiner Realty
Franklin West

Old 03-18-2015, 03:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Steiner bought a building that I was renting an apartment in, during the early 90's, I didn't find them to be a problem.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:11 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
I have no personal experience with regent sq rentals, but have heard a few people mention how terrible they are. Main concern I hear is that they false advertise units in the heart of wilkinsburg as regent sq. The two areas are close but not at all the same in terms of quality or safety.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I have no personal experience with regent sq rentals, but have heard a few people mention how terrible they are. Main concern I hear is that they false advertise units in the heart of wilkinsburg as regent sq. The two areas are close but not at all the same in terms of quality or safety.
That is absolutely true.

Which one used to be Lobos? Avoid those jagoffs like the plague.

There are some smaller rental companies that can be alright (L & N has a lot of CMU-centric properties and is solid) but the best deals is in this town are usually through folks who own one or two places. Also as a rule of thumb, old subdivided houses and duplexes are usually more affordable and offer better living space than apartment complexes.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:15 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
That is absolutely true.

Which one used to be Lobos? Avoid those jagoffs like the plague.

There are some smaller rental companies that can be alright (L & N has a lot of CMU-centric properties and is solid) but the best deals is in this town are usually through folks who own one or two places. Also as a rule of thumb, old subdivided houses and duplexes are usually more affordable and offer better living space than apartment complexes.
I think Lobos is still Lobos; one thing to keep in mind about subdivided houses is that they may not have a laundry available, and you would have to take your clothes to a laundromat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh