Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 AM

412 posts, read 939,371 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to visit Pittsburgh in February. The purpose of the visit is to check out neighborhoods and just generally get a feel for the city. I've read a lot about Pittsburgh, and it sounds like a place where I might want to live.

I currently live in a very "walkable" town - I can walk to nearly every place I could want to be, except for work. There's a grocery store, a really nice movie theater, Borders, Barnes & Noble, lots of restaurants, coffee places, and easy access to mass transit.

So, does anyone have any recommondations for neighborhoods to check out while I'm in Pittsburgh for a weekend ? I'm currently planning on visiting Squirrel Hill, the Southside, and Shadyside. Here's my ideal neighborhood -

- all the amenties that I have now within walking distance (groceries, movie theater, big book stores, restaurants, coffee)
- safe, friendly neighborhood
- quiet residential streets near (a block or two away) from a more busy commercial area

House/condo prices aren't too big of a concern, because it looks like prices anywhere in Pittsburgh are cheaper than in my current town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM

156 posts, read 296,790 times
The three areas you mentioned are good, especially Squirrel Hill and South Side Works. There is a growing area in East Liberty (near Shadyside) that is very promising as well. Check out this new planned development: Walnut Capital - Bakery Square - retail, office, residential and hotel development. Though that area is mixed in terms of income levels (just depends on what kind of area you prefer) Also, Edgewood and Friendship are nice, walkable neighborhoods (not far from East Liberty)

You may find this thread on a Pittsburgh forum useful: PITTSBURGH | Rundown - SkyscraperPage Forum

The front of it contains information about many of the new development projects in Pittsburgh.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 24,668 times
You might also try Dormont / Mt. Lebanon areas. Those are both on the trolley (subway or "T") line which can get you downtown. They offer an alternative to the Southside, Shadyside, or Squirrelhill. It seems those three get a lot of attention. Don't get me wrong, but there are other areas that should be explored.

Off of the trolley line, but very walkable is Oakmont, Crafton, or Brentwood.

Just some thoughts....Glad to hear that someone is considereing our town.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Squirrel Hill is a pretty close fit with what you are describing.

You might also consider checking out the Regent Square neighborhood. Note though that Regent Square has a very small "downtown" (not much more than a block), and thus does not have things like a big grocery store or book store. On the other hand, it is right next to a great park and otherwise fits your description.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Squirrel Hill is a pretty close fit with what you are describing.

You might also consider checking out the Regent Square neighborhood. Note though that Regent Square has a very small "downtown" (not much more than a block), and thus does not have things like a big grocery store or book store. On the other hand, it is right next to a great park and otherwise fits your description.
Giant Eagle is less than a mile from the shopping/dinning in Regent Square.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
Giant Eagle is less than a mile from the shopping/dinning in Regent Square.
True, but it is not a very pleasant walk over to the Edgewood Towne Center (where the Giant Eagle and a number of other stores are located) from Regent Square.

So if you have a car, it is actually quite convenient--and the Waterfront is also not too far away which really expands the shopping, dining, and entertainment options. But if you want to actually walk to places like that, it seems to me Squirrel Hill is the better fit.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 AM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll add them to our list!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
True, but it is not a very pleasant walk over to the Edgewood Towne Center (where the Giant Eagle and a number of other stores are located) from Regent Square.
Why is it not pleasant?

Alot of people who live in Point Breeze who need groceries, but not alot all at once, use Frick Park to walk there, then it's only a short distance to Edgewood Center. You just walk to the end of Nine Mile Trail and you come out at the Center for Creative Play right near the on ramp to I-376. As a matter of fact, I just did the same thing, only walked home from the Square Cafe through the park and right to my back yard. Great excercise, great scenery, no worries about parking.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Why is it not pleasant?
Probably because of the lack of sidewalks and the traffic near the on/off ramps to the Parkway. I wouldn't want to walk that, either.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Probably because of the lack of sidewalks and the traffic near the on/off ramps to the Parkway. I wouldn't want to walk that, either.
The sidewalk goes at least under the underpass of the interstate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh