Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Atlanta is the blackest metros in the U.S.. On the flip side Pittsburgh is the whitest metro in the U.S.. Blacks run city and county governments in metro Atlanta. There are blacks in postions to award contracts and hire other blacks. This is not the case in Pittsburgh.

The situation is understood. But its not like its a conscious effort to exclude blacks from being hired here in Pittsburgh. If you have the skills, you will gain the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
The situation is understood. But its not like its a conscious effort to exclude blacks from being hired here in Pittsburgh. If you have the skills, you will gain the opportunity.
^ This.

Calling Pittsburgh "racist" because the percentage of the overall city population that is both black and possesses a degree is tiny isn't really fair unless someone can prove to me that the reason why so few blacks in Pittsburgh have degrees is because the city is racist. Nobody has proven that to me yet, and that's what I want an analysis of---not being called a "racist" for asking for it to be done.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
...The reason why African-Americans in general in Pittsburgh are more likely to be socioeconomically-disadvantaged has more to do with educational attainment than "racism"....

I've stated this in the past only to hostile ears. I think what the underprivileged (of any ethnic demographic) just do not understand is the YEARS of hard work and dedication it takes to get over a hump. Whether it takes sticking with one job to get some type of advanced position, or to attain higher education, it means discipline - getting to bed, studying all weekend, no playing around....

SCR's seeming frustration is valid, and are my sentiments for the most part. If we were in some distant county in Pennsylvania, it would be the same, except our white neighbors would be playing a sad song about their misfortune while they sit and watch opiatic mind candy like Judge Judy and Oprah.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Please do not dismiss my comments. My black familiy has been in the Pittsburgh area since 1910. Pittsburgh was built on exclusion. Steel Mills, unions, and corporations have excluded qualified blacks for generations. Blacks were always last hired and first fired during the economic ups and downs. My maternal grandparents had 10 children and all of them went on to college. Most of my aunts and uncles are into education. If any of you attended Pitt and took sociology you most likely ran into one of my uncles who is a Dr or sociology. Do to racism and exclusion the University of Pittsburgh hired its first round of young black professors in the 60's. My uncle was one of them. Many of them are still with the university. Another uncle is the head of the Pittsburgh region ELKS and taught at Kiski area schools for about 30 years. Another uncle worked for Westinghouse in the 70s before transferring to L.A. He worked for Westinghouse for years before the massive layoffs in the 80s. He then went on to work for Lockheed Martin (aero space engineering) before returing to Pittsburgh for retirement. He got bored and at 63 did another ten years at Mitsibishi Corp in Warrendale PA. He finally retired at age 73.

There are many many black stories like my own. I have experienced the hostility in the workplace. It typically comes from older white co workers. I was hated because I was young, black, and did not fit into any stereo type. I was tall, slim, good looking, and never ever joked or played the fool. I was aggressive and for some white people in the workplace it can be intimidating. Most black people that come from middle class backrounds learn to deal with the BS and work our way around it.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Here's the problem, wpipkins2. I'm in my 20s. Why is it my fault that in the 1960s my grandparents discriminated against your grandparents? Why should I feel badly about something that happened when my parents were still in diapers (and I don't mean Depends, either)? It's horrible that your ancestry faced racism and prejudice in numerous professional and social settings. It's downright egregious. I'm not apologizing for it. I wasn't even alive yet to speak up!

With that being said, what I want to know is TODAY IN 2015 why you and others still feel there's an unequal racial playing field in Pittsburgh. Why do you feel a studious black 17-year-old male can't have the same opportunity to find success in college and then in a white-collar setting as a studious white 17-year-old male. Since my contemporaries are mostly color-blind when it comes to friendships, hiring, and romance I just still fail to see why there's still this alleged "work that needs to be done" among today's Pittsburgh whites (theta_sigma's words) in order for blacks in Pittsburgh to have equal opportunities and access to education to better their socioeconomic status.

You're educated. Your wife is educated. You both worked hard to provide yourselves with the stepping stones needed to propel yourselves into professional success, which, in turn, is helping you and your wife to provide your children with great opportunities for their futures. You are to be commended. EVERYONE ELSE---Asian, Hispanic, white, or black---also could do the same thing you and your wife have done. If they haven't/aren't, then why is that the responsibility of we whites?

That's just what I want you, aw_now_what, theta_sigma, etc. to clarify because nobody has been able to do that so far without just saying "Stop" or "you're a racist".

Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Please do not dismiss my comments.

Wpip, I did not "dismiss" your comments. You tend to interpret things as overly harsh, when on this forum, there is not the luxury of hearing how comments may be conveyed in person.

Your life situation does not fall on deaf ears. Please understand there are maybe two people I've encountered on this board that are not sympathetic to human beings being mistreated by others. My family in Europe was almost decimated by the Third Reich, and not in battle - rather from actions of individuals in the Germans military (target practice, torture...).

However, I stand by my statement. I got through college as an undergrad, now working on a graduate degree (with my sanity in short supply), have worked as a roofer, a laborer, in a chocolate factory, a custodian, as an office professional, and a roving inspector. I will vehemently disagree that things are to the degree illustrated by your personal anecdotes.

I abhor institutionalized racism that deprives people of opportunity. I know I am lucky to not have had to live in that society as a victim. I am not naive to think it does not exist today - in ANY sub-culture, in any country (how many Asian immigrants hire anyone BUT other asians, for example? I've never seen a non-Asian at any of the three Razzy Fresh frozen yogurt places).

But I will not buy a "woe is me" excuse.

Oh, and in Braddock, the works opened up employment to african-americans in the 1960s and 1970s - very few of those men hired stuck around long term.

I have experienced the hostility in the workplace. It typically comes from older white co workers. I was hated because I was young, black, and did not fit into any stereo type.

So have so many others. Was it becasue you were black, or rather, young and arrogant? EVERYONE has has pain the ass older curmudgeon office experiences.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Here's the problem, wpipkins2. I'm in my 20s. Why is it my fault that in the 1960s my grandparents discriminated against your grandparents? Why should I feel badly about something that happened when my parents were still in diapers (and I don't mean Depends, either)? It's horrible that your ancestry faced racism and prejudice in numerous professional and social settings. It's downright egregious. I'm not apologizing for it. I wasn't even alive yet to speak up!

Faced racism and prejudice?? We face racism and prejudice today. I never asked for your apology. I never asked any white person for their apology. Ever. I was not raised that way.

With that being said, what I want to know is TODAY IN 2015 why you and others still feel there's an unequal racial playing field in Pittsburgh. Why do you feel a studious black 17-year-old male can't have the same opportunity to find success in college and then in a white-collar setting as a studious white 17-year-old male. Since my contemporaries are mostly color-blind when it comes to friendships, hiring, and romance I just still fail to see why there's still this alleged "work that needs to be done" among today's Pittsburgh whites (theta_sigma's words) in order for blacks in Pittsburgh to have equal opportunities and access to education to better their socioeconomic status.

There are many many young black professionals in this city. There are more opportunities and less BS in blacker cities and many of us leave Pittsburgh behind and never return do to hostility and racism in the workplace in 2015.

You're educated. Your wife is educated. You both worked hard to provide yourselves with the stepping stones needed to propel yourselves into professional success, which, in turn, is helping you and your wife to provide your children with great opportunities for their futures. You are to be commended. EVERYONE ELSE---Asian, Hispanic, white, or black---also could do the same thing you and your wife have done. If they haven't/aren't, then why is that the responsibility of we whites?

Thank you.

That's just what I want you, aw_now_what, theta_sigma, etc. to clarify because nobody has been able to do that so far without just saying "Stop" or "you're a racist".
You are racist and you admitted it up thread.

Racism is alive and well in this country and city. Read the article posted by Daisy Daisy.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:44 AM

But he didn't explicitly ASK for an apology. It was a figure of speech. *sigh*

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Wpip, I did not "dismiss" your comments. You tend to interpret things as overly harsh, when on this forum, there is not the luxury of hearing how comments may be conveyed in person.

Your life situation does not fall on deaf ears. Please understand there are maybe two people I've encountered on this board that are not sympathetic to human beings being mistreated by others. My family in Europe was almost decimated by the Third Reich, and not in battle - rather from actions of individuals in the Germans military (target practice, torture...).

However, I stand by my statement. I got through college as an undergrad, now working on a graduate degree (with my sanity in short supply), have worked as a roofer, a laborer, in a chocolate factory, a custodian, as an office professional, and a roving inspector. I will vehemently disagree that things are to the degree illustrated by your personal anecdotes.

I abhor institutionalized racism that deprives people of opportunity. I know I am lucky to not have had to live in that society as a victim. I am not naive to think it does not exist today - in ANY sub-culture, in any country (how many Asian immigrants hire anyone BUT other asians, for example? I've never seen a non-Asian at any of the three Razzy Fresh frozen yogurt places).

But I will not buy a "woe is me" excuse.

Oh, and in Braddock, the works opened up employment to african-americans in the 1960s and 1970s - very few of those men hired stuck around long term.

I have experienced the hostility in the workplace. It typically comes from older white co workers. I was hated because I was young, black, and did not fit into any stereo type.

So have so many others. Was it becasue you were black, or rather, young and arrogant? EVERYONE has has pain the ass older curmudgeon office experiences.

I have never cried "woe is me" I was not raised that way. Woe is me would get your ass kicked in my house. Braddock opened up employment and my black neighbor who is 70 is still employed there. Opening up to blacks do to pressure does not eliminate the hostility in the workplace. Unions were the worst when it comes to exclusion so I dont understand the point you are trying to make.

Black professionals that are just as aggressive and cut throat as their white counterparts are often labeled as arrogant. We are expected to stay in our place and accept what is given.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
You are racist and you admitted it up thread.

Racism is alive and well in this country and city. Read the article posted by Daisy Daisy.
My direct quote was "I'm becoming racist", if I'm not mistaken. If it was "I'm becoming MORE racist", which it may have been, as I type very rapidly, then I misspoke, and I apologize, as the former---not the latter---was what I meant to type. I'm not racist yet; however, having the race card pulled on me left and right over the past six months because I disagreed with business-disrupting road closures to pay homage to Michael Brown to the point where even our business was boycotted unjustly has really grated on my nerves. All I do is play Devil's Advocate, and I'm not afraid to be the one to dive right into touchy situations to initiate discussions that everyone else would much rather just tip-toe and tap-dance around. I'm a blunt and brutally honest person. It's garnered me friends. It's garnered me enemies. It is what it is. I was called a racist from the onset for insinuating that Officer Darren Wilson was justified in shooting Michael Brown. The DOJ just reinforced my assertion, yet no apologies have been offered to me from those who thought Ferguson was a case of police brutality.

If someone cries "racism" in 2015, then I want to know why, and, more often than not, when someone can't come up with a valid explanation, they just attack me as a person instead of debating my perspective. It's childish, immature, and makes me think the other person is poorly-educated, to be quite frank (and that's saying something if a glorified pizza boy considers you to be an inferior adversary in a formal debate).

I refuse to accept that I'm a "racist" simply because I won't atone for whatever grievances prior generations of my ancestry committed against prior generations of another's ancestry. You're right. Racism is alive and well in 2015 in Pittsburgh---but it's alive and well ON ALL FRONTS. Don't pretend like there aren't any racist blacks here because I've encountered them, and it's really soured my opinion of this city at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh