Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

SCR, you do blame everybody for all of your problems. That's your whole schtick here. Ok, commence hysterical feature-length essay where you froth at the mouth about being owed an apology. ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The steel mills in the mon valley opened up jobs to African Americans since at least 1892, Frick recruited some blacks as well as eastern Europeans to help in that expansion.

White revisionist history? Black Americans were offered the worst jobs known to man in the mill. My grandfather retired from US Steel Coke Works in Clairton. Black people worked these jobs and many were never allowed to advance within the ranks.

The industrial unions did initially bar blacks- as well as some other ethnicities- from membership, and separate Jim Crow seniority lists were maintained through the 1960's, making it more difficult for blacks to get into the choice jobs.

White revisionist history? Black union workers never worked enough to cover union dues. Black union workers never reaped the benefits of the union. This is still happening today. Look at any large construction site.

Remember that the Civil Rights act banned discrimination by labor unions. No law is written up outlawing something that isn't happening.
Are you saying the Labor Unions stopped discrimination after the signing of the Civil Right Act? If so, you can truly believe that.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Are you saying the Labor Unions stopped discrimination after the signing of the Civil Right Act? If so, you can truly believe that.
I know they say they don't discriminate, and that Trumka and Sharpton look like they are BFF's.

But I'm not part of the labor movement, I couldn't guess what they do.

I know that you have to know someone to get into the unions and actually sent out on jobs, it seems like black people might be less likely to know business agents personally. I can certainly see why there are fewer blacks on union construction jobs.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 PM

119 posts, read 144,947 times
On occasion, I feel that Americans with emotional attachments to their ostensible whiteness or blackness are the worst persons able to speak intelligently about race in America. Is that pragmatic or burying head in sand? Idk, perhaps a touch of both and many other things besides such as my horror over the paltry terms we use when have the media driven 'conversation' on race.

But then there are facts. It's undeniable true that African Americans suffered absurd degrees of historical discrimination. It's undeniable true that African Americans do face real discrimination in contemporary America.
I believe it's likely true that many persons, regardless of race but most especially those really into their whiteness and blackness are way too entrenched in patterns of thought that are not sufficient to make sense of today's reality)

.....read some august wilson (to make it relevant to Pittsburgh) some history, then think outside of personal experince, of affronts that made one angry and take the line in the sand position

Last edited by Yac; 03-25-2015 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 AM

508 posts, read 889,504 times
monty, at the end of the I hope we're either Americans or not Americans. Whether your family arrived at Plymouth Rock or Plymouth Rock landed on your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh