Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 5,334 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This website has been of great help and I appreciate everyone's efforts in helping people like myself get acclimated to Pittsburgh. I will be starting my masters program at Carnegie Mellon University from August 2015 and am looking for apartments/neighborhoods to consider. I've been recommended the following neighborhoods: Shadyside, Oakland, and Squirrel Hill. I will be 22 (coming straight out of undergrad) and am looking for a neighborhood with a young vibe with a great and vibrant nightlife (maybe even collegiate feel?) and in route to Carnegie Mellon (15 min ride or 20 minute walk). Those are pretty much my main factors. Which of those neighborhoods do you think caters to these needs and are there any specific apartment complexes y'all found great that I should consider.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nad7vx; 03-25-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad7vx View Post
Hi all,

This website has been of great help and I appreciate everyone's efforts in helping people like myself get acclimated to Pittsburgh. I will be starting my masters program at Carnegie Mellon University from August 2015 and am looking for apartments/neighborhoods to consider. I've been recommended the following neighborhoods: Shadyside, Oakland, and Squirrel Hill. I will be 22 and am looking for a neighborhood with a young vibe with a great and vibrant nightlife (maybe even collegiate feel?) and in route to Carnegie Mellon (15 min ride of 20 minute walk). Those are pretty much my main factors. Which of those neighborhoods do you think caters to these needs and are there any specific apartment complexes y'all found great that I should consider.

Thanks in advance!
Avoid South Oakland, it is undergrads. When you say nightlife, do you mean music and clubs and dancing, or bars? There are bars in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, a lot of grad students in both places (CMU and Pitt). Not much in the way of going out and dancing though.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. When I meant nightlife, I meant something like a college bar scene. I'm definitely not a dancing type of person but I am looking for a neighborhood that offers venues/outlets for me to meet other grad students from the universities (CMU or Pitt). Basically, I guess I am not looking for a place for older people but people around the ages of 21-26ish. Are there particular areas in shadyside that I should consider? I've heard Walnut Street, but I do not know much about that

Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. When I meant nightlife, I meant something like a college bar scene. I'm definitely not a dancing type of person but I am looking for a neighborhood that offers venues/outlets for me to meet other grad students from the universities (CMU or Pitt). Basically, I guess I am not looking for a place for older people but people around the ages of 21-26ish. Are there particular areas in shadyside that I should consider? I've heard Walnut Street, but I do not know much about that
Okay - Ellsworth Avenue, S. Highland as well as Walnut. Squirrel Hill has the Squirrel Cage (Squirrel Hill Cafe).
More Shadyside: Shadyside Chamber of Commerce | Shadyside, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Squirrel Hill: Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition

Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 AM

thank you! I will look into those areas asap. is there a website you recommend for these apartments?

Last edited by nad7vx; 03-25-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Do you have a car? If not, you should know that because of the way the buses run, probably more CMU students live in Squirrel Hill than Shadyside. You can get to Oakland bars easily from either CMU or Squirrel Hill because they're all along Forbes Avenue. The Squirrel Hill buses make the most sense for getting to school in the morning as well, especially if you've been out drinking the night before.

If you do have a car, you'll probably choose to use it to get to Shadyside or East Liberty. Also, Gooski's on Polish Hill may still be popular with CMU students.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Because of the way the buses run, I think more CMU students live in Squirrel Hill. You can get to Oakland bars easily from either CMU or Squirrel Hill because they're both along Forbes Avenue. If you have a car, you'll probably use it more to get to Shadyside or East Liberty. Gooski's on Polish Hill may still be popular with CMU students, I don't know for sure.
thanks. do busses run late in the night on weekends? also, is it still possible to use busses to get to the oakland bars from shadyside

Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
thanks. do buses run late in the night on weekends? also, is it still possible to use buses to get to the oakland bars from shadyside
Yes, you can get to Oakland bars from Shadyside. Here's the Port Authority website: Port Authority of Allegheny County > Home You can get better info there about time schedules.

The Shadyside buses are the ones that start with 71. Also, the 75 goes from Oakland to Shadyside.

The Squirrel Hill buses start with the number 61.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Based on your description, the following places are possibilities. Shadyside. Lawrenceville. Southside. and perhaps Squirrel Hill.

The Southside has the most bars per capita than perhaps any other neighborhood in the US. It tends to trend blue collar and "yinzer" aka native Pittsburgher.

Shadyside is more upscale, with various establishments to frequent. It trends more yuppie-esque (think yoga and expensive boutique shops) and I'd say the majority of people living here are college educated.

Lawrenceville is the area that recently had a hipster fueled revival.

Squirrel Hill is probably the most diverse neighborhood with lots of students, families, and is a hub for the local jewish community. They have the so called legendary Squirrel Cage (as mentioned), which regrettable still allows smoking since the state is behind the times.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Personally, I have never liked the South Side. I much prefer Shadyside. Squirrel Hill has grown on me. When I lived there I hated it. However, if you want bars there are not a ton in Squirrel Hill. Shadyside sort of has a bar scene although it is much smaller than the South Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh