Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Just a myth perpetuated by native Pittsburghers talking about how great they/we are. Same thing as when people say that Pittsburgh is the best city in the world, knowing this as a fact because they have been to to Cleveland (for a Steelers game) and Niagara Falls (on a school trip) and seemingly know what every other city is like.
I think Pittsburghers are rill nice annat.

I met this girl at wing night daun Blawnox and we hit if off somethin’ fierce! She got garlic parm sauce on her Hines Ward jersey and I knew she was somethin special . I drove her back home to her place in the Sauth Hills but got lost cause we had to cross a river or two. I ended up also losing my innocence that night in the Station Square Parking lot thanks to a Journey tape and comfy seats in my Ol’ Man’s Pontiac.

Yinz are just doin’ it wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM

19 posts, read 22,592 times
dating apps are real bad

women do it as a game and like the attention

the ratios of men to women is enormous

extreme small chance girls even respond unless you put up fake photo of a model

meet people in real life and grow some balls

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest450 View Post
dating apps are real bad

You're telling the OP to grow some balls?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I think Pittsburghers are rill nice annat.

I met this girl at wing night daun Blawnox and we hit if off somethin’ fierce! She got garlic parm sauce on her Hines Ward jersey and I knew she was somethin special . I drove her back home to her place in the Sauth Hills but got lost cause we had to cross a river or two. I ended up also losing my innocence that night in the Station Square Parking lot thanks to a Journey tape and comfy seats in my Ol’ Man’s Pontiac.

Yinz are just doin’ it wrong...
Awesome

Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 PM

373 posts, read 378,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest450 View Post
dating apps are real bad

Ah, so you've had poor luck on dating apps.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Cammy, I would suggest you DON'T look. Why? because you are limiting yourself. Where can you meet friends and a possibly significant other?

Classes, hobbies, community groups, houses of worship, volunteering....

I won't believe that NO ONE has ever met a quality friend, lover, and/or spouse from a meetup/hookup site, service, or app, but when you consider the anxiety, the time to browse, and all that, I think the other options would enrich your life while giving you the benefit of getting to know someone without it being a "date" or hookup. Just a suggestion.

I hope you enjoy living in Squirrel Hill! Use the park(s)! Early mornings on weekends, it is quiet, and just beautiful.
I both agree and disagree. I do know quite a few married couples who met in bars and other meet-up situations. There's always been an equivalent of on-line dating services, e.g. matchmakers, friends "setting up" people, dances, etc.

I do agree with your other sources being good places to meet people.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 PM

595 posts, read 600,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Just a myth perpetuated by native Pittsburghers talking about how great they/we are. Same thing as when people say that Pittsburgh is the best city in the world, knowing this as a fact because they have been to to Cleveland (for a Steelers game) and Niagara Falls (on a school trip) and seemingly know what every other city is like.

Meetup.com is a good sight for meeting people of similar interests. So is the Pittsburgh Sports League.
When I first moved here, I was walking down the sidewalk and a lady passing by said "hello". I kept walking waiting for her to pass so I could look back to see who she was talking to, only no one was there. Did some random stranger just say "hello" to me in passing on the street?

This is not the norm where I come from. You don't make eye contact, and you ESPECIALLY don't talk to people walking down the street. I've always found Pittsburghers to be super nice and approachable compared to other places I've lived and visited.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM

373 posts, read 378,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
When I first moved here, I was walking down the sidewalk and a lady passing by said "hello". I kept walking waiting for her to pass so I could look back to see who she was talking to, only no one was there. Did some random stranger just say "hello" to me in passing on the street?

This is not the norm where I come from. You don't make eye contact, and you ESPECIALLY don't talk to people walking down the street. I've always found Pittsburghers to be super nice and approachable compared to other places I've lived and visited.
On the flip side, I dated a girl from West Virginia (that I met on OKCupid...) and she couldn't wait to leave Pittsburgh because she was used to how 'nice' everyone from her neck of the woods was. From her stories, I took 'nice' to mean 'strangers greeting and conversing with each other constantly' which I am happy does not happen more here. Stresses me out. Anyway, she's happily back in WV

Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 787 times
There are several Meetup.com Pittsburgh Social Groups that list things to do. A good way to meet people.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:41 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
eh truth is there are two folks in this city: the yinzers and then the out of towners who moved into the city who are helping change the city(esp Oakland and the east end) into a greener friendlier place.

so try your luck with the latter and see how it goes with the former, because I think the mentality varies. Ive met some good and nice yinzers, but most of my real friends I made were not from western PA at all, muchless the Pittsburgh MSA,but that's my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh