U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 7,147 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what purpose this serves? A turn on red to continue onto bigelow from the right lane is completely safe and helps keep traffic flowing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:22 PM

111 posts, read 101,197 times
We should start a list of thoroughly unnecessary "No right turn on red" signs in Pittsburgh. We might crash the server.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:40 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,442,747 times
Since when is that sign "new"? If you're talking about taking a right hand turn from Baum onto North Craig (with the Porsche dealership on your right), then that sign has been there as long as I can remember. That intersection is VERY dangerous, too, by the way. People coming down North Craig and turning left onto Baum often cut the corner too sharply and find themselves in the left-hand right turn lane from Baum onto North Craig. I saw a taxi and a car in a head-on collision there a few weeks ago, and I was nearly hit head-on a couple of nights ago as I blared my horn. I don't know what sort of law suit the city is waiting for before they decide to paint those dashed lane divider lines for people making that turn simultaneously. It seems like that intersection (among many others) would be ideal for a roundabout.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Since when is that sign "new"? If you're talking about taking a right hand turn from Baum onto North Craig (with the Porsche dealership on your right), then that sign has been there as long as I can remember. That intersection is VERY dangerous, too, by the way. People coming down North Craig and turning left onto Baum often cut the corner too sharply and find themselves in the left-hand right turn lane from Baum onto North Craig. I saw a taxi and a car in a head-on collision there a few weeks ago, and I was nearly hit head-on a couple of nights ago as I blared my horn. I don't know what sort of law suit the city is waiting for before they decide to paint those dashed lane divider lines for people making that turn simultaneously. It seems like that intersection (among many others) would be ideal for a roundabout.
Oh! Upon further reading I think you mean from outbound Bigelow to make a soft right to head down Bigelow towards the Residence Inn. Correct? I've always made a right-hand-turn-on-red there because other than yielding to the occasional pedestrian there's no way for you to be in the way of any other vehicle.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:43 PM

373 posts, read 325,097 times
Oh, great. That will be such a nice change. I bet they did it because they were tired of all the complaints from people travelling to Oakland that that intersection was too easy to get through.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Oh, great. That will be such a nice change. I bet they did it because they were tired of all the complaints from people travelling to Oakland that that intersection was too easy to get through.
Your talking about the same city officials who think the three-way stop sign near Phipps is "new and improved", even though all it has done since its inception is cause mass confusion and congestion, especially because the one direction's lane pulls you to the right to the stop sign but still permits you to turn left when you're already pretty much in the way. Talk about another prime candidate for a roundabout.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 7,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Oh! Upon further reading I think you mean from outbound Bigelow to make a soft right to head down Bigelow towards the Residence Inn. Correct? I've always made a right-hand-turn-on-red there because other than yielding to the occasional pedestrian there's no way for you to be in the way of any other vehicle.
Exactly. This. I should of been more specific.

The light up sign is new as of the last week.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 AM

4,957 posts, read 3,530,205 times
One reason of several possible ones might be because of stacking.

The 'no turn on red' might be to prevent a line of cars forming:

There is street parking just beyond that bearing right.
There is the hotel, which would cause people to slow suddenly as they intend to enter the driveway.
Isn't there a kindergarden on the opposite side of the street? They have a parking lot, I believe - waiting to turn left into the lot may back up cars suddenly, as well.

The new 'no turn on red' might be in response to a local complaint, as well. If anyone does not like it, it's their prerogative to call whatever department (311?) and let them know why you think it's useless.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 AM

373 posts, read 325,097 times
I received word that the sign is not in use this morning. I wonder what kind of timer it's on.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
I received word that the sign is not in use this morning. I wonder what kind of timer it's on.
I always thought it was like the intersection of Wilkins & Beeler, where traffic heading westbound on Wilkins (towards Fifth) only ever has to stop if a pedestrian pushes the button to cross Wilkins. In this sense the "No Turn on Red" should only illuminate when a pedestrian has pushed the button to cross that leg of Bigelow---similar to how the signs illuminate at Shady & Forbes when the pedestrian signal is activated. I think one of these is necessary at Fifth & Wilkins as well. I see motorists and slow-moving CMU students playing chicken all the time in that very long crosswalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh