Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I think the OP means down to earth from a 'hanging out under bridges in dark forests' kinda perspective

I personally find people in Pittsburgh earth-to-down, but that may be my Antipodean perspective
You and your kind stay on your side of the big blue marble, we'll stay on ours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seriously? Where do you hang out? Shadyside?
haha - no, not much anymore, but I love Shadyside. This is my perspective. Since returning to Pittsburgh 5 years ago (almost), I have worked with people wearing dirty pants and boots to the suit and tie crowd. I have lived in the same buildings with drunks, punks, and seriously quiet and reserved people. I stick by my assessment - but again, like I said, it doesnt mean there arent positive qualities. It's just that so few in the modern world are "down to earth" (by MY definition, anyway).

Old 04-02-2015, 06:44 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
I would like to know what the OP means by "down-to-earth", anyways.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:02 AM

508 posts, read 889,620 times
Pittsburghers: down to earth. Very ingenuitive. Terrible drivers. Stuck in their ways. They expect you to know the "ropes" when they themselves seldom ever do. Lots of rank amateurism. Generally, willing to lend a helping hand.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
Pittsburghers: down to earth. Very ingenuitive. Terrible drivers. Stuck in their ways. They expect you to know the "ropes" when they themselves seldom ever do. Lots of rank amateurism. Generally, willing to lend a helping hand.
"Rank amateurism"?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'm a a transplant from Northern Virginia and would say that overall Pittsburghers are down-to-earth and lack the same level of pretense a larger proportion of the population exudes in many other large metropolitan areas.

With that being said the nuisance items known as iPhones have become pervasive not only here but in American society at-large.

A stranger smiles and says "Good morning" to you as they enter your elevator? Uh-oh! Better whip out the iPhone and pretend to look important instead of returning the pleasantry.

A fellow motorist waves you out of a parking lot onto a busy road? Uh-oh! Better whip out the iPhone and pretend to look important instead of giving the old-fashioned "thank you wave".

The motorist in front of you stops to wave a mother pushing a stroller across a crosswalk? Uh-oh! Better honk in a knee-jerk fashion because your iPhone screen prevented you from noticing that mother and her stroller waiting to cross.

Overall I love living here. I just wish Apple had never invented the iPhone. I finally bought one recently for work purposes, but I yearn for the era in which people weren't such screen-obsessed vapid zombies.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Well I think so. I have lived here for almost 3 years and have found the people to be so nice and down to earth.

The only person I find so pretensious is my co worker who is from Buffalo.

Oh don't even get me started about those Buffalo people . . .

Wait, what?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
well, the person said to me yesterday, I know what it is like to move as I moved from Buffalo with my husband.

Ok, that's the same as coming from Ireland to Toronto as a 20 year old alone knowing nobody!!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
haha.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I would say yes. I think Pittsburgh is a very approchable and accessable city in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh