Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Suburbs to me means places like Hampton, Shaler, Scott Twp, Robinson, those kind of places without a true Downtown type of area. Dormont, Bellevue, West View, and such not so much. Cranberry fits the bill as a 'burb to me based on the SMC alone.(Soccer Mom Count)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Somebody had better tell Mario that Cranberry isn't a part of Pittsburgh, cause his team plans to practice there. How will they overcome the 25 min drive from the arena? Will the team now be called the Pittberry Penguins? So confused...

UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex

Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Somebody had better tell Mario that Cranberry isn't a part of Pittsburgh, cause his team plans to practice there. How will they overcome the 25 min drive from the arena? Will the team now be called the Pittberry Penguins? So confused...

UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex
There you go... this sums up a big part of the mentality of the exurbs. There's a professional sports training facility affiliated with a major league sports team that plays in Pittsburgh, so that MUST mean Cranberry is part of the city. Hmmm... I guess Latrobe is part of Pittsburgh too because that's where the Steelers have training camp? Good logic, Johnny.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Training camp is not the same as an everyday practice facility. The Steelers do not practice in Latrobe - Latrobe is a camp.

Just confused as to the Pittsberry Penguins and their logic.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
There you go... this sums up a big part of the mentality of the exurbs. There's a professional sports training facility affiliated with a major league sports team that plays in Pittsburgh, so that MUST mean Cranberry is part of the city. Hmmm... I guess Latrobe is part of Pittsburgh too because that's where the Steelers have training camp? Good logic, Johnny.
People will rationalize anything to hate on Cranberry. Funny stuff for sure.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
You mean, they are takers, not makers?
Paying is one thing. Being gouged is another. Rather than crying about it, we just choose to pay what's fair and get much more than we do where we're being gouged. It's a no-brainer.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
People will rationalize anything to hate on Cranberry. Funny stuff for sure.
Some people here will read anything about Cranberry and assume it is simply "hating" on the poor little township. I said it before and I'll say it again... Cranberry has good schools and tons of chain establishments. There are indeed a fair amount of people satisfied with that, and I have no problems with those folks. My main beef with Cranberry has been summed up quite nicely above in this thread by Lobick:

"This, of course, is my biggest peeve surrounding inhabitants of areas like Cranberry. They consider themselves part of the region, utilize amenities, etc. They are proud Pittsburghers...unless we start talking about regional taxation, municipal consolidation, etc; you know, collective solutions to the region's problems. It is then that those lines drawn on a map make all of the difference. "

Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Some people here will read anything about Cranberry and assume it is simply "hating" on the poor little township. I said it before and I'll say it again... Cranberry has good schools and tons of chain establishments. There are indeed a fair amount of people satisfied with that, and I have no problems with those folks. My main beef with Cranberry has been summed up quite nicely above in this thread by Lobick:

"This, of course, is my biggest peeve surrounding inhabitants of areas like Cranberry. They consider themselves part of the region, utilize amenities, etc. They are proud Pittsburghers...unless we start talking about regional taxation, municipal consolidation, etc; you know, collective solutions to the region's problems. It is then that those lines drawn on a map make all of the difference. "
Yeah, that's funny stuff, too. It also comes from a 'burb hater thinking everybody should live in the city. I believe he used the word "militant" about it.

There are people from all over that utilize da burgh that don't live in the city or county. Be thankful for it. Many businesses certainly are.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yeah, that's funny stuff, too. It also comes from a 'burb hater thinking everybody should live in the city. I believe he used the word "militant" about it.

There are people from all over that utilize da burgh that don't live in the city or county. Be thankful for it. Many businesses certainly are.
Once again... I am not a "burb hater". That's way too simplistic for me. I don't waste my time berating suburbanites (or exurbanites, in your case) about their residency choices. And I don't go out of my way to be rude to people like you who are from out of town. Feel free to enjoy my city as the tourist you are. But at the same time, if you can't see how Cranberry is far-removed enough from Pittsburgh in terms of culture, atmosphere, aesthetics, philosophy, (etc.) to have a discrete identity apart from the Burgh... then that is your own failing, and not mine. Cranberry is not Pittsburgh and it never will be. By moving to Cranberry, people relinquish their investment stake in Pittsburgh/Allegheny County. It's not the same community, and I have a problem with its conflation with Pittsburgh.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Once again... I am not a "burb hater". That's way too simplistic for me. I don't waste my time berating suburbanites (or exurbanites, in your case) about their residency choices. And I don't go out of my way to be rude to people like you who are from out of town. Feel free to enjoy my city as the tourist you are. But at the same time, if you can't see how Cranberry is far-removed enough from Pittsburgh in terms of culture, atmosphere, aesthetics, philosophy, (etc.) to have a discrete identity apart from the Burgh... then that is your own failing, and not mine. Cranberry is not Pittsburgh and it never will be. By moving to Cranberry, people relinquish their investment stake in Pittsburgh/Allegheny County. It's not the same community, and I have a problem with its conflation with Pittsburgh.
Yeah, you have a problem with a whole lot of people then.

If it makes you feel good and helps you to say Cranberry isn't part of da burgh, keep on preaching...but once again, you have a problem with a whole lot of people and not one of them will change what they say because those that live in the city or county say so, especially with as few of you as there are.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-07-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh