Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You mean like the kind of people who went on a stabbing spree in a Murrysville high school or shot women execution-style at a fitness center in Collier Township? Maybe you're talking about the kinds of people who gunned down civilians at a movie theater in Aurora or a high school in Littleton? Maybe you're talking about the kinds of people who gunned down young children around Christmas in Newtown? All of these are upper-middle-class white suburban areas, for what it's worth.
That's true. But the lone gunman tends to be an exception with most crimes in that it generally favors white male perps. With most other crimes, this isn't the case. Just compare car insurance rates in the city vs outlying areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:16 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Yea, definitely picked the safest part of Pittsburgh to ensure no confrontation by angry locals to pick on.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
At least the mother of the person the protesters were supposedly remembering came forward and said the protesters were on their own and that isn't how anyone wants to remember her son. She said how dare they vandalize innocent people's stores and use her son in that way. Good for her!

Old 04-12-2015, 02:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I don't understand this reaction, and having moved around a lot I generally don't understand this obsession people have with this archetype of a real Pittsburgher as this noble and true salt of the earth unlike anywhere else type. Thirty people running around smashing windows and you expect Real Pittsburgh Men to jump into the middle of that chaos to protect a Gap? Seattle has nothing to do with it. Tolerance has nothing to do with it. Most places in the country would have been the same situation - get the lady you're with to safety and call the cops. Regional boosterism is weird enough but this is beyond strange.
Yep, and those that complain they want somebody to do something are never the ones who want to do anything. When somebody says that somebody should do something they really need to take their own advice.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Sort of surprised that none of the Pittsburgh men that must have been there didn't stand up to these jagoffs and just allowed them to run amok.
Because no one cares about a few smashed windows. It's definitely not worth getting into a stupid violent confrontation over, that's for sure.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Because no one cares about a few smashed windows.
Why not? We were on Walnut Street yesterday and witnessed the aftermath. Jitters Coffee, a LOCAL business, was the worst-hit. Apparently from what I've gathered via a comment from an anarchist sympathizer on Facebook it appears the windows were smashed because the vandals were angry they couldn't afford anything on Walnut Street and wanted to stick it to the bourgeois of the East End in retaliation. What a great way to honor the memory of a "professional protester" whose formerly unknown name will now live in infamy as being related to the riot.

This was just as I suspected from the beginning. "I can't afford a coffee at Jitters or a pair of socks at True Runner because I'm a failure at life so I'm going to smash windows so NOBODY can!!!" Do I think it's tacky for East End attorneys to be buying their 18-year-old kids Range Rovers so they can look like tools as they prance up and down Walnut Street with selfie sticks? Of course. Does that mean I'm going to try to prevent them from stimulating the economy? No! How are the low-earning baristas at Jitters or the servers at Thai Place anything other than "collateral damage" here?

Do these delinquents realize that the majority of people employed on Walnut Street, including those at the banks, earn much less than $15/hr.? Do they realize that those same people then had to sweep up the glass they broke?

I'm so tired of these lazy entitled jagoffs thinking it's everyone else's fault but their OWN that they're poor. I'm part of the working-poor in this city, but it's my own fault for being a terrible person. Perhaps these anarchists should look in the mirror and realize the same thing? What quality employer would want to hire someone who finds property destruction a justifiable outlet for jealousy?

Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM

697 posts, read 778,153 times
Quote:
Why not? We were on Walnut Street yesterday and witnessed the aftermath. Jitters Coffee, a LOCAL business, was the worst-hit. Apparently from what I've gathered via a comment from an anarchist sympathizer on Facebook it appears the windows were smashed because the vandals were angry they couldn't afford anything on Walnut Street and wanted to stick it to the bourgeois of the East End in retaliation. What a great way to honor the memory of a "professional protester" whose formerly unknown name will now live in infamy as being related to the riot.

This was just as I suspected from the beginning. "I can't afford a coffee at Jitters or a pair of socks at True Runner because I'm a failure at life so I'm going to smash windows so NOBODY can!!!" Do I think it's tacky for East End attorneys to be buying their 18-year-old kids Range Rovers so they can look like tools as they prance up and down Walnut Street with selfie sticks? Of course. Does that mean I'm going to try to prevent them from stimulating the economy? No! How are the low-earning baristas at Jitters or the servers at Thai Place anything other than "collateral damage" here?

Do these delinquents realize that the majority of people employed on Walnut Street, including those at the banks, earn much less than $15/hr.? Do they realize that those same people then had to sweep up the glass they broke?

I'm so tired of these lazy entitled jagoffs thinking it's everyone else's fault but their OWN that they're poor. I'm part of the working-poor in this city, but it's my own fault for being a terrible person. Perhaps these anarchists should look in the mirror and realize the same thing? What quality employer would want to hire someone who finds property destruction a justifiable outlet for jealousy?
I think its horrible that they broke business and vehicle windows. Unfortunately this is what happens in many protest situations. There are peaceful protesters who are dedicated to bringing attention and improvement to an issue and then there are punks who find any cause to jump in on and bring violence and vandalism because that's what they want to do. The "real" protesters who believe in the cause don't like those people either because they distract, detract and bring negative associations. In the case of the incident on Friday, there wasn't a protest about a real issue but a couple idiots who got together and did criminal acts in the name of someone who may or may not have even agreed with them.

I decided the best way I can help "combat" the destruction is to up my patronage to those businesses, particularly the locally owned Thai Place and Jitters.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:58 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
I'm part of the working-poor in this city, but it's my own fault for being a terrible person.
Terrible person???? Pray tell. I thought you were mostly cool on here, apart from occasional rampant stereotyping

Old 04-13-2015, 08:14 AM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:

I don't think airwave was justifying their behavior. Rather, as a civilian bystander, the potential benefits of confronting a band of violent protestors are easily outweighed by the likely drawbacks. Someone dumb enough to smash a bunch of windows in the name of anarchy will probably smash you in the face if you get in the way of their rampage. Get to a safe place and call the cops.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don't think airwave was justifying their behavior. Rather, as a civilian bystander, the potential benefits of confronting a band of violent protestors are easily outweighed by the likely drawbacks. Someone dumb enough to smash a bunch of windows in the name of anarchy will probably smash you in the face if you get in the way of their rampage. Get to a safe place and call the cops.
True, but in probably most other neighborhoods in this city, those thugs would have gotten a severe beat down. I really would like them to try this on the centre avenue commercial strip in the Hill District. Should be a joy to see the whooping they would get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh