Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 PM

32 posts, read 103,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispa View Post
Dear Jill....We're thinking of moving to the Wilkinsburg area from NM.
We began reading the blog and now are wondering if your daughter
got into a school she liked.

Hope she did and that you are both happy. Chispa
Chispa, She's going to Manchester Academy Charter School on the Northside! I truly love the school and so does she! As you can see, I'm looking to move again! LOL! So did you move to Wilkinsburg or something else? Sorry for the delay!

Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 7,480 times
Hey guys,
We are planning to move from NC to Pitt. We saw a nice condo in Wilkinsburg area with a really good price on West St. What do you think about that street? Is it safe to live in there? We don't have kids. We will stay maybe max 5 years in that condo. After that we will move out..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite View Post
Hey guys,
We are planning to move from NC to Pitt. We saw a nice condo in Wilkinsburg area with a really good price on West St. What do you think about that street? Is it safe to live in there? We don't have kids. We will stay maybe max 5 years in that condo. After that we will move out..
People here are most likely going to tell you "it's not so bad". However, I encourage you to draw your own conclusions:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Personally, there's no way I'd live in Wilkinsburg.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Is this a place you would buy? And which block on West?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
People here are most likely going to tell you "it's not so bad". However, I encourage you to draw your own conclusions:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Personally, there's no way I'd live in Wilkinsburg.
Cool map. Didn't know some of Pittsburgh actually is that bad.

I wanted to mention Manchester Academy ranks 484 out of 543 schools in PA, by school digger. I am not sure if School Digger is a good sight or not, but I was just looking around at it. Sort of interesting looking at schools around the Pittsburgh area. PPS is hurting if you look at the rankings. WOW!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Is this a place you would buy? And which block on West?
yes. it is 521 west st

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM

Maps that color in an entire municipality on the basis of the average crime rate can be highly misleading, because in many cases most of the crime is concentrated in some subset of the municipality. That is certainly true in Pittsburgh, and it is actually true of Wilkinsburg as well.

Here is a competing map that somewhat makes this point. This is of just homicides and not crime in general, but I think those are a reasonable proxy for this purpose:

Interactive map: Allegheny County homicides in 2010

If you know Pittsburgh, those patterns are (regrettably) predictable. And again, the same is true of Wilkinsburg (e.g., it wouldn't come as a shock to anyone familiar with Wilkinsburg that almost all the homicides in this period occurred east of the Busway, with the exception of the shooting at the Autozone on the Wilkinsburg/Pittsburgh border).

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite View Post
yes. it is 521 west st
OK, I know where that is.

I'd describe that as being on the border of more transitional (in a good way) areas to the west and south, and a more distressed neighborhood to the east. It isn't a super-high crime area, but you would need to assess your personal comfort level with buying and living in such an area.

I might note that I believe property prices in that area haven't seen much if any appreciation in recent years. That may change if the transitional areas to the west and south expand in that direction, but that is speculative and may not happen in your time frame to a significant degree.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Maps that color in an entire municipality on the basis of the average crime rate can be highly misleading, because in many cases most of the crime is concentrated in some subset of the municipality. That is certainly true in Pittsburgh, and it is actually true of Wilkinsburg as well.

Here is a competing map that somewhat makes this point. This is of just homicides and not crime in general, but I think those are a reasonable proxy for this purpose:

Interactive map: Allegheny County homicides in 2010

If you know Pittsburgh, those patterns are (regrettably) predictable. And again, the same is true of Wilkinsburg (e.g., it wouldn't come as a shock to anyone familiar with Wilkinsburg that almost all the homicides in this period occurred east of the Busway, with the exception of the shooting at the Autozone on the Wilkinsburg/Pittsburgh border).
I would rather the map show more crime and not just murders. Armed robbery, rape and attempted murder are pretty important. The neighborhood map is quite good because you need to know what the region is like. I agree that there are good parts to areas and bad sometimes, but neighboring communities are effected by the mass crime the areas have. I do with the map broke up the Pittsburgh region a bit better though. That is too big to get a feel for.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
OK, I know where that is.

I'd describe that as being on the border of more transitional (in a good way) areas to the west and south, and a more distressed neighborhood to the east. It isn't a super-high crime area, but you would need to assess your personal comfort level with buying and living in such an area.

I might note that I believe property prices in that area haven't seen much if any appreciation in recent years. That may change if the transitional areas to the west and south expand in that direction, but that is speculative and may not happen in your time frame to a significant degree.
thank you so much BrianTH. I will be there this weekend so I will see the area. hopefully, i will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh