Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Thanks SCR. Appreciate you stereotyping me and all the older generations that built this city.
I can't think of one educated progressive middle-aged person who'd bang pots and pans out their windows to annoy their neighbors like children when the Steelers would score in a playoff game.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
My Terminology of a "Yinzer" is a "NON-Evolving Local",
Ah, there's where the confusion comes from; most people don't share your personal pejorative definition of the word yinzer.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Maybe it's time to stop labeling groups of people altogether?
hear &^%ing hear. Non-progressive locals, sure .... everywhere has them, but broad terms like yinzers make no sense at all. Sorry BB. I know what you mean, but ...

Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
From this thread, I've realized how ridiculous it is to proudly call oneself "progressive" while casting others from a totally different background, economic foundation, or personal history as something of less value.

Hitler thought he was just that - molding his community (Germany) into his idealized of "progressive". Ridiculous analogy? Well, they laughed at him once.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can't think of one educated progressive middle-aged person who'd bang pots and pans out their windows to annoy their neighbors like children when the Steelers would score in a playoff game.
I can... even if I wouldn't. I have friends with advanced academic degrees, who make art, and are political activists that would cheer for the Steelers and Penguins (and maybe even Pirates now), and they would probably get even more obnoxious than that. And these are people that are successful too. You can be annoyed by it or appreciate the sheer joy of such a gesture.

Don't get me wrong... I used to be a curmudgeon about irrational loyalty and the emphasis on spectator sports in this society too. But it's a lot easier to deal with if you can learn not to judge.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,091,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
From this thread, I've realized how ridiculous it is to proudly call oneself "progressive" while casting others from a totally different background, economic foundation, or personal history as something of less value.

Hitler thought he was just that - molding his community (Germany) into his idealized of "progressive". Ridiculous analogy? Well, they laughed at him once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I can... even if I wouldn't. I have friends with advanced academic degrees, who make art, and are political activists that would cheer for the Steelers and Penguins (and maybe even Pirates now), and they would probably get even more obnoxious than that. And these are people that are successful too. You can be annoyed by it or appreciate the sheer joy of such a gesture.

Don't get me wrong... I used to be a curmudgeon about irrational loyalty and the emphasis on spectator sports in this society too. But it's a lot easier to deal with if you can learn not to judge.
Good posts.

Being unwilling to appreciate, or looking down upon a local culture that are different than your own, is a true sign of ignorance. You would think that so-called "educated, progressives" would conduct themselves better than that. Some of you are making "educated, progressives" look very bad.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Maybe it's time to stop labeling groups of people altogether?
I always find it interesting that the worst offenders of labeling or trying to label (generalize) a sub group are those of another sub group. Of course this in itself is a generalization.

Anyway, the title of this thread is a joke as if "yinzers" are all alike. It would be the same as saying blacks and gays are all alike. Just another grouping of people and showing an ugly prejudice towards them. Kind of sad really. Whatever. Just enjoy your little thread. It has no meaning the way it was presented. I could help you in your presentation skills if you like Blackbeauty. Maybe just post the article and let people make their own interpretation of it instead of bringing some subgroup into it making them out to be some dumbed down cave people. Or perhaps just give your OWN take on it. It sure would have been more classy, but I digress.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:58 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
For clarification purposes I was not born/raised in Pittsburgh, but def in the very hinterlands of Western Pa. Also, I have never seen any of my supposed brethren bang on pots and pans when the Steelers scored a touchdown but it sounds like a good time.

As for myself, I do hold a graduate degree, work a white collar job, consider myself very progressive, run marathons, shop at Whole Foods, and I love the ish out of a good latte. Not very yinzer definition.

But I also live in an old school un-hip neighborhood of Brookline, have paid for the bus with cash, love Beto’s pizza, and say “arn” instead of “iron” and drop “to be” out of sentences every chance I get. I even own multiple jerseys and would definitely wear them with a nice pair of sweatpants and Timbs while cheering on the Steelers.

I feel the best definition of a yinzer is just someone from Pittsburgh. It doesn’t have to be a negative thing like people try to make it. It’s very un-progressive to take a term that used to just describe a person from a certain area and add a negative connotation. There is no standard definition of a yinzer, but since it has turned into something negative, it is probably best not to use it to describe people. Also, the multiple definitions of yinzers doesn’t fly with me, because there is no way to know that you aren’t just being a jagoff when you are calling a person one.

Remember Pittsburgh wouldn’t be the Pittsburgh that everyone loves so much if it wasn’t for the yinzers.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You haven't met me and my friends then .... don't equate educated and progressive and middle aged with sensible and mature

Old 04-25-2015, 11:10 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
What will happen with a large influx of people, from wherever:

Rush hour traffic will become unbearable for anyone working downtown.
Property in Allegheny County will become out of reach for young people
Property prices and taxes will drive more people to buy real estate in surrounding counties

The result will be more sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh