Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In regards to the word "yinzer":

In my mind, yinzer ≠ ALL native Pittsburghers. It has never has meant as such, and it never will mean as such to me.

A yinzer, to me, was always a small SUBSET of native Pittsburghers who'd be the ones likely to bang pots and pans out their windows when the Steelers scored or blast AC/DC while revving their motorcycles at 3 AM in a residential neighborhood. Prior to gentrification pushing these types out I experienced both in 2010. I guess instead of using the word "yinzer" I should just be using the term "white trash"?

I'm sorry to cause offense. I've always viewed "yinzer" to be the equivalent of "white trash" and never thought respectable upstanding middle-class white-collar OR blue-collar natives would proudly call themselves yinzers. From now on I'll call all natives yinzers and call all trashy people white trash. Problem solved.
You are correct. Use "white trash" because you don't know what a yinzer is. It has more to do with a style of speech. I don't even think I could say they have a style of clothing other than most wear jeans and work for a living. They don't all work physically either, they could have desk jobs. The term is misused so much, but people like to use it as a negative term. The people that tend to use yinzer as a negative are those that love to be in a subgroup or a clique. Those cliques often include the country club set, black people, wealthy people that like to flaunt and it appears gay people, but I have a feeling there are gay yinzers out there.

Personally, I enjoyed all these subgroups of people from the poorest of poor, to the super rich and from the most educated to the least. I can't imagine being buried in some boring clique all my life and no having tolerance towards those that would bang pots and pans outside their front door when the Steelers score in a playoff game. Who cares, they are drinking have having a blast. Goodness!

As far as the article is concerned, just look at the other articles below that they want you to click on. That sort of says it all.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I saw Billy Gardell Friday night, the Ultimate Yinzer, made it big but never forgets his roots.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times
In my experience, I would describe a Yinzer as being part of the demographic that WDVE caters to...who display an negative,
backward looking unhappy attitude, ignorant attitude, close-minded,nasty habits, socially obnoxious persona..

There are people in that social class who are very nice people who just happen to be ignorant, but they have a common-sense
understanding of how to behave in a socially appropriate manner. I am thinking of individuals who I know personally as I type this..So to me "Yinzer" = socially obnoxious due to lack of upbringing.

There are gay "yinzers" who do not fit in with the middle-class preppy gay types think "Broke back Mountain"

Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
I find the term yinzer to be almost the opposite of that...while there are other instances, a burgher that cheerleads about anything Pittsburgh no matter how good or bad it is and anybody that believes otherwise isn't a fan.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
'Progressives' are the most intolerant people in America today. This thread is a demo.
trolling

Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
trolling
The original post was the troll.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The original post was the troll.
...as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
In my experience, I would describe a Yinzer as being part of the demographic that WDVE caters to...who display an negative,
backward looking unhappy attitude, ignorant attitude, close-minded,nasty habits, socially obnoxious persona..

There are people in that social class who are very nice people who just happen to be ignorant, but they have a common-sense
understanding of how to behave in a socially appropriate manner. I am thinking of individuals who I know personally as I type this..So to me "Yinzer" = socially obnoxious due to lack of upbringing.

There are gay "yinzers" who do not fit in with the middle-class preppy gay types think "Broke back Mountain"
Yet another person that doesn't know a bunch of yinzers. Being someone that likes a variety of people, I know tons of all types. I know very few yinzers that have a negative outlook, but that may be because I wouldn't want to hang around super negative people. Most I know are hard working positive people and they live with good moral value. Ignorant? Most aren't "worldly", so I guess some would be ignorant of that subject, but everyone is ignorant on certain subjects. EVERYONE IS IGNORANT! Just depends on the subject at hand.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
It seems no one knows what Yinzers mean, so maybe we should all agree to avoid the term compleltely. Wouldn't that be sensible - some hope, eh?

Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
BB's got a point. There is a contingent of Pittsburgh lifers who seem to live in the past. Whether you want to call them Yinzers or Hunkies or some other name, they have no end of objections to bike trails, restaurants with cheeseburgers that cost more than $5, a job market for skilled labor, or any inmigration from the east coast, because they have.a misguided notion that if they can keep the yuppies out they can manage slow steady growth and nothing will have to change too much. Fretting about her use of terminology is missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh