Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I heard on the grapevine that this trend is subsiding. But only time will tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
I'd dismiss Buffalo. Just talked to a programmer who actually lives there and he told me jobs are hard to find. Better chances in Pgh. But try it for yourself.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Just don't buy in Squirrel Hill. I hear it is becoming overrun with craft beer-loving Aussie cyclist types who whack trolls with vegan fair-trade fro-yo.
Hmm...Well I moved to SH fairly recently (last year) and I don't like beer of any kind. I have a bicycle but the tires are flat and I have not been on it in 10 years. I do like fro-yo occasionally but I buy it at the Iggle instead of the Razzy Fresh. I like it when trade is fair but not particular about things being Fair Trade, and I am most definitely not anything even remotely resembling vegan....just ate 8 oz of roast beef with dinner after an afternoon snack of cheese and bread.

So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I heard on the grapevine that this trend is subsiding. But only time will tell
I'd have to agree.

But I will say that I am really glad I moved here.

Oh yeah and about troll whacking.... well I do have a couple of swords and a wooden staff to hand.... just in case.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Oh yeah and about troll whacking.... well I do have a couple of swords and a wooden staff to hand.... just in case.
Trolls regenerate HP rapidly. They must be killed with fire or acid.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, I love the heck out of this city since I moved here from further east, but to give better suggestions to you, I'll need more information. $400,000 can buy you a heck of a lot of house here - basically almost every city neighborhood, and most suburbs, are within your price range (although not every house in almost every neighborhood of course). So you don't just need to say "anything close to the city." You can be more picky.

Here are my initial questions to you:

1. Do you like historic houses, or want something new?

2. Do you want to live somewhere where there is a walkable business district, and/or you can use mass transit to get to work? Keep in mind that if you work in Downtown or Oakland (the two biggest job anchors for the region, both in the city) parking is scarce/expensive.

3. Do you want detached housing or a rowhouse?

4. Do you want a large or a small yard?
What he said ^^^. If you want an inner ring suburb roughly 5-ish miles from downtown (either by car or the busway) Pittsburgh and a short drive to the airport, consider Crafton. Big historic homes circa 1900. Good schools. Friendly people. Home prices range from about $125,000-$300,000. Property taxes are on the high side. Best ice cream at Antney's on Poplar. And that's the opinion of a food snob from San Francisco!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Hmm...Well I moved to SH fairly recently (last year) and I don't like beer of any kind. I have a bicycle but the tires are flat and I have not been on it in 10 years. I do like fro-yo occasionally but I buy it at the Iggle instead of the Razzy Fresh. I like it when trade is fair but not particular about things being Fair Trade, and I am most definitely not anything even remotely resembling vegan....just ate 8 oz of roast beef with dinner after an afternoon snack of cheese and bread.
But do you listen to Enya?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM

35 posts, read 34,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
But do you listen to Enya?
lol people listen to Enya?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFathead View Post
Only in SCR's mind

Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:

So...

I'd have to agree.

But I will say that I am really glad I moved here.

I was roasting gortonator. If I was roasting Squirrel Hillians in general I'd probably say "those who honk at those yielding to pedestrians".

Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFathead View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh