Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I would suspect that for someone coming from the east coast where Philly,NYC,DC and
Boston are "lined-up" so to speak..Pittsburgh would seem in the middle of nowhere...

I think it is to a degree..but not as bad as other cities in the country...from here,you
can still get to Philly,NYC and DC in almost a day or less depending on transportation..

For instance,you can leave here at 7:20am on the train and get to NYC by 4:45pm
and Philly by 3:00pm..

I have done weekend trips to NYC and DC quite often..been past and stopped in
but haven't explored Philly yet..

What is funny about Pgh. and Western Pa. is the fact that short distances seem far to
people..when I would go to Aliquippa it was like '' you going back home today?" well yes
its is only 19 miles!!

Or in Pittsburgh,if you live in Sheraden "are you going all the way out to Highland Park?"
its just across town...or East End residents "thats that Northside bunch over there"...

I have heard people say such like they live 200 miles apart or something..
I don't normally post on the Pittsburgh forum (I live in the DC area but have family in Pittsburgh) but I absolutely agree with this statement. My uncle lives in Cranberry and he talks all the time about people who move into his development from places like the South Hills and they act like they moved SO FAR AWAY from their families. One neighbor in particular who I also spoke with one weekend while visiting was packing his kids up to go on an overnight trip to his parents house, they lived ALL THE WAY DOWN in Upper St. Clair. As far as the relevance to the OP, despite living in DC I have never felt like I was in the "middle of nowhere" or anything close to it when in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:18 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
Well I probably fall in the middle of your "completely grown" and "young and still active"
I thought you were 40????? That's way past young.

I would say that somewhere around 30 people start to worry more about mortgage interest rates and yard upkeep than clubbing.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:09 AM

58 posts, read 324,976 times
Default I love pittsburgh

I live in Buffalo, about 4 hours from Pittsburgh, and have visited the city many times. When my husband and I consider moving in a year or two, Pittsburgh will be at the top of our list. It has the cultural resources we want, a low cost of living, and despite what I've heard, searches on Monster.com reveal quite a few jobs in our industry. I think that Pittsburgh has a big-city feel without being overwhelming. I wouldn't want to live in NYC or any other large cities where it would take me 45 minutes to get from place to place. In my opinion, Pittsburgh is underrated.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
it is in the middle of nowhere....pburg is a day from many cities, but how many is it 2 hours from? for ex, cincinnati is 2 hrs or less from indy, columbus, louisville, lexington. not huge cities, but they feed off the cincinnati market...pburg if anything is part of the cleveland market or a separate market altogether.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,760 times
Pittsburgh's 2 hours to Cleveland, 4 to DC, 3.5 to Baltimore, 2 to Columbus seems likes a drive in the neighborhood compared to leaving Salt Lake City, Boise, Omaha, Kansas City or even Denver for that matter. Miles get big out west !

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Cleveland is 133 mi. from Pittsburgh (per MapQuest). They say 2 hr 15 min.

DC is 245 mi. 4 hr. sounds about right (as I recall it).

Baltimore 248 miles, basically the same as DC.

Columbus is 185 miles from Pittsburgh (per MapQuest). That is 92.5 mph, average if you're making it in 2 hr.

The only one of those 2 hrs from Pgh is Cleveland.

It's true the distances get large out west. The closest "big" city from Denver is Omaha, 550 miles away to the east. SLC is about the same to the west, and you have to drive across the mtns to get there.

I don't really think Pgh is the middle of nowhere, but it is isolated from the east coast by the mountains.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:46 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
If you put a circle around Pittsburgh of 550 miles in diameter, you'd capture about half of the population in the United States. The Northeast Ohio (NEO) region alone boasts about 7 million residents. I'd guess there about 10 million people within a two hours drive from Pittsburgh.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
maybe 5, not quite 7. and the same could be said if you put a bubble around almost any northeastern/midwest city

Old 01-19-2008, 01:16 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdowler View Post
. It was just very strange for me driving and then all of a sudden out of nowhere is this great city.
Ah, I see you have been through the Fort Pitt Tunnel.
Cool heh?

This video does nothing for the real thing, but I think this explains gdowlers comment.

Fort Pitt Tunnel - rural to city in two minutes - or a visula to the big bang theory... *smile*

Fort Pitt Tunnel a little clearer

PNC/Pittsburgh skyline just because it's so beautiful.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 01-19-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM

30 posts, read 95,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I know what you mean. I'm originally from the Eastern Seaboard. And to answer you questions

1.)Yes....absolutely, Pittsburgh is out in the middle of nowhere.

2.)Yes...there is just barely enough to do if you are completely grown and settling down in life.

3.)No....there is not enough to do if you are young still and very active.

I agree. I thought the same way ( and often times still do

I would say, if your active try these three steps.

1.) Visit other places. Alot of my friends and I use the money we save on housing to go travel. Of course you can do this on NYC income but your in Steel town now baby! Visit West Virgina, they have alot of fun things to do and if you can make the drive, go to D.C. hell, if your willing to drive from Pittsburgh to D.C., do the darn thing and go up to Philly or New York! You can make your fun here in Pittsburgh at various places, but after a while it can be same. So visit other places whenever you can. The Bars will get old, quickly, trust me!

2.) Look at answer number 1. Also, visit Art Galleries around here. They'd love to come. Sirani Gallery is amazing, Z Gallerie is a store but has amazing art work as well. There are many great places.

3.) Start or join a Young, Business Professional group to help in making more things in Pittsburgh. Reach out and create things. Alot of people want these but alot of Pittsburghers , could care less ( they're used to it, some of them and fine with things the way the are.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh