Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM

70 posts, read 421,350 times

Advertisements

My husband and I had to go to the Warhold Museum for business. We really like it there and wondered though if living there you felt stifled? Is there any nature parks, lakes, any kind of other thingsto do besides in Pittsburgh. It seems like a nice and affordable place to live (coming from NYC) but we are used to easy access to a lot of other cities/towns. Am I wrong in thinking this way, or do you feel like you have more than enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Coming from New York, it probably did seem different. There is a lot of beautiful countryside around Pittsburgh, and you can leave the city without bumping into endless towns that all seem to merge into one. It's away from the congestion of the eastern seaboard and more midwwestern. There are three rivers right in the city with riverfront trails and parks. Point State Park is downtown at the confluence of the three rivers, and its 35 acres are undergoing a restoration in time for Pittsburgh's 250th birthday this year. There are ski resorts within 45 minutes of downtown, many lakes and state parks, quaint villages with antique shops, kyaking clubs, rowing clubs, water skiing, hunting, etc. One hour north is Amish country, where you can still see Amish farms, and horses and buggies onthe local roads. Definitely not as touristy as Lancaster County. If you crave the arts, Pittsburgh is one of the top cities for performing arts for a city its size. And it's only a one-hour plane ride from any of the three New York airports.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdowler View Post
Am I wrong in thinking this way
Yes you are....come on, out in the middle of nowhere? I go to NYC every year, and realize the enormity of the area, but come on, Pittsburgh is hardly "out in the middle of nowhere".

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 AM

107 posts, read 350,280 times
When you live in Denver it is a much different story then Pittsburgh. There once you leave the metro you realize how isolated it is. That was a good thing for me though.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
As others have noted, there are a lot of outdoor activities in the immediate area. As far as cities are concerned, Cleveland isn't a far drive, and Philly, Baltimore, and Washington, DC are all pretty close as well (perhaps too far for a day trip, but not for a weekend trip). By plane, it is short flight to any of those places plus NYC, Chicago, and so on. But one thing I don't like is the poor train service (as compared to between the cities from Boston to Washington).

Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdowler View Post
My husband and I had to go to the Warhold Museum for business. We really like it there and wondered though if living there you felt stifled? Is there any nature parks, lakes, any kind of other thingsto do besides in Pittsburgh. It seems like a nice and affordable place to live (coming from NYC) but we are used to easy access to a lot of other cities/towns. Am I wrong in thinking this way, or do you feel like you have more than enough?
I know what you mean. I'm originally from the Eastern Seaboard. And to answer you questions

1.)Yes....absolutely, Pittsburgh is out in the middle of nowhere.

2.)Yes...there is just barely enough to do if you are completely grown and settling down in life.

3.)No....there is not enough to do if you are young still and very active.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM

like I said. I lived in Philly. It was to much. You couldn't escape and be out of endless suburbs unless you drove 80 miles. Even that country side is being destroyed by more suburban development. Maybe some people like to leave their metro and be in the country. There is nothing wrong with that, people from new york and Philly. Maybe we want to drive 45 miles and be in Ohioyple to go rafting, hiking, and mountain biking.

Also, did you ever consider that some people don't need the full scale broadway shows to "have something to do". Did you ever consider some people are happy going camping in WV on a weekend, or staying in town to see more modest theaters. The most annoying thing (this was more in Denver) were the New Yorkers who moved in and were always like, "Hey this aint like N.Y." Well duh.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
like I said. I lived in Philly. It was to much. You couldn't escape and be out of endless suburbs unless you drove 80 miles. Even that country side is being destroyed by more suburban development. Maybe some people like to leave their metro and be in the country. There is nothing wrong with that, people from new york and Philly. Maybe we want to drive 45 miles and be in Ohioyple to go rafting, hiking, and mountain biking.

Also, did you ever consider that some people don't need the full scale broadway shows to "have something to do". Did you ever consider some people are happy going camping in WV on a weekend, or staying in town to see more modest theaters. The most annoying thing (this was more in Denver) were the New Yorkers who moved in and were always like, "Hey this aint like N.Y." Well duh.
Hey Buddy, did you ever consider that this question is purely opinion and depends soley on ones perspective and experiences. Did you ever consider that there is no right answer.

If you think you're gonna start an argument with me over a question that doesn't even have a right answer...you're crazy. I have a real life with real things to worry about. If you want to discuss nonsense you will find plenty of other posters on this board who live and die with this stuff....talk to them.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:05 AM

"Hey Buddy, did you ever consider that this question is purely opinion and depends soley on ones perspective and experiences. Did you ever consider that there is no right answer." Well, thats what I was posting. A answer on my perspective and experiences.

"if you think you're gonna start an argument with me over a question that doesn't even have a right answer...you're crazy."

Also, You sound like you actually do take this board more seriously then you intend or you wouldn't have responded. haha

"I have a real life with real things to worry about." I am happy for you. It is not like I dont have work to do also and only come on these boards in my down time at the office.

"If you want to discuss nonsense you will find plenty of other posters on this board who live and die with this stuff....talk to them." I actually agree. This board spends 500 post on arguing about how many cloudy days there are in Pittsburgh. However, me mentioning a post about how New yorkers get annoying on what ever city they travel too because it isn't N.Y. shouldn't be such a problem to you.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I think whether there is enough to do in Pittsburgh proper really depends on your lifestyle. If you are content with something like nice neighborhoods and local parks to walk around, a rotation of 10 or so favorite restaurants and bars within easy reach, and going to something cultural (a museum exhibit, live music, play, ballet, symphony, etc.) about once or twice per weekend, then I think Pittsburgh is fine. But if you want multiple high energy street scenes, trying new restaurants and bars every week, and going to new cultural events several times a week (and I know people in places like NYC and LA who have such a lifestyle), then Pittsburgh may not be a great fit.

In other words, my sense is that Pittsburgh actually has quite a bit to do relative to many cities of its size, thanks in part to things like a strong cultural legacy from its boom days and the neighborhood structure which has created multiple "downtown" areas. But obviously it just can't support as many new and different things to do as cities many times its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh