Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,878 times

Advertisements

I know the majority of the posts on here are about locations for moving, but I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life (Greenfield) and am not familiar with the West-side at all. My fiance just started a job in McKees Rocks, with different hours every day. It would only make sense to move closer to his job to make life easier. That being said, I KNOW McKees Rocks is terrible, so I was looking into Kennedy Township or Ingram. More things to consider; we have two kids one in Kindergarten and one starting pre-k this year. We obviously want a good school district. I work Downtown so I would want easy access there as well. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
I like Greenfield. It's not that far from McKees Rocks.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
The Quaker Valley and Moon school districts are worth looking into.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 AM

111 posts, read 114,772 times
I live in Ingram!

The commute to downtown is a breeze, either via the West Busway or a pretty quick drive that avoids any major congestion. It's a quiet, safe, family-friendly neighborhood. Convenient for shopping and more in the shopping center (Giant Eagle, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts, Busy Beaver, Wright's Gym). Good housing stock and a great school district, to boot!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Ingram is a great place to raise a family.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Kaylitaa, i have been looking at a home for a while now. I learned about an area that I knew so little about - Windgap. There are decently affordable homes there, and some streets are quiet suburban cul-de-sacs or dead ends.

It's not for me, but its a weird, seemingly nice neighborhood - a short ride across the Windgap Bridge to the Rocks.

It IS the Pittsburgh Public Schools, which we know on this board is all things to everyone - neither good nor bad, but depending on one's perspective.

Buses to town - the 27 and the 26. The nice part I am familiar with (just across the border from McKees Rocks) is served by the 27 only. So, limited bus options....BUT - there is free parking at the West Busway - a short drive away. At the West Busway, you can grab any of maybe 4 bus lines that whiz down it.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
It is all about your budget.

Ingram is in a decent school district (Montour).

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylitaa View Post
I know the majority of the posts on here are about locations for moving, but I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life (Greenfield) and am not familiar with the West-side at all. My fiance just started a job in McKees Rocks, with different hours every day. It would only make sense to move closer to his job to make life easier. That being said, I KNOW McKees Rocks is terrible, so I was looking into Kennedy Township or Ingram. More things to consider; we have two kids one in Kindergarten and one starting pre-k this year. We obviously want a good school district. I work Downtown so I would want easy access there as well. Any input?
Crafton! Good schools. Easy commute to downtown via the busway. Close to McKees Rocks.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,878 times
Thank you for your replies. I really wish we could stay in Greenfield, but the houses are expensive and when I buy a house I do not want to be on top of my neighbor. I need breathing room + I want a decent size back yard, both are pretty rare in Greenfield.

I would say our budget is around $150,000.00.

I will have to check into Windgap- I've never heard of it either.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I concur that Crafton/Ingram would probably be the best, given it allows for access to the West busway, and a quick commute.

On the other hand, however, it's a pretty short distance to move for your husband's work, and you said he is working irregular hours. Is this the sort of job you would expect him to still have 5-10 years from now? You might want to think about staying where you are in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh