Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:20 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's not to say there still aren't "hip" places in Lawrenceville. Brillobox is still around, though I see a lot of med students there these days. AFAIK Remedy still has pretty good dance nights. Of course there's things like Wild Card and that pinball place. But the people hanging out in the neighborhood are just more generic young people with money these days, and less interesting. Or maybe I just got old.
I completely agree with you. I was afraid there for a bit that L-Ville was the next Southside, but instead it looks like the next Shadyside... Wild Card has lost whatever edge it once had... the pinball place and rowhouse cinemas attract that mainstream yuppie crowd... any interesting art gallery that was once there is now gone... and Industry Public House might as well be a chain restaurant in a strip mall in the suburbs. All the character of the neighborhood is indeed being sucked right out, along with the artists.

And you can forget old Lawrenceville. That's been gone since 2001.

Still the 10th Ward remains a last bastion of relative grit and interest... we'll see how long that lasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:15 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Industry puts crushed ice in its Old Fashioneds and I have even seen them put ice in a Manhattan. It might as well be Ruby Tuesday at this point.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Industry puts crushed ice in its Old Fashioneds and I have even seen them put ice in a Manhattan. It might as well be Ruby Tuesday at this point.
Like any good bar, they'll make the drinks the way the customer asks for them. If you don't care for crushed ice in yours, I'm sure they'll leave it out of it.

You might not care for Ruby Tuesday's, and I personally thought the experience at their CIII location several years ago was underwhelming myself. But they have a successful formula that resulted in hundreds of locations.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Like any good bar, they'll make the drinks the way the customer asks for them. If you don't care for crushed ice in yours, I'm sure they'll leave it out of it.

You might not care for Ruby Tuesday's, and I personally thought the experience at their CIII location several years ago was underwhelming myself. But they have a successful formula that resulted in hundreds of locations.
I think that many people in and around Lawrenceville would agree that it doesn't need a Ruby Tuesday. Maybe they could put one in at the tourist district over on the North Shore.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:07 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Completely missed the point of what I was saying. Industry now caters to a whole different crowd. That is fine, as it has basically become the Mario’s of Lawrenceville, but back in the day (maybe 2 years ago) they used to make really good drinks. Some of them still are, but classic drinks like an Old Fashioned and a Mahattan served incorrectly in what is supposed to the Brooklyn of Pgh means they have transitioned to something else. Not saying it is bad, just saying that it is. Maybe it is just the circle of gentrification.

Also, I believe that truly good bar wouldn’t make the drink anyway a customer asks for it. Why order a drink to only ask for 3 changes to the recipe? It’s like going into a restaurant and requesting they strip out 50% of the ingredients in a dish because you don’t like them. Unless the request is food allergy related (and even then one should consider ordering something different) why order something if you are going to actually receive something completely not what was on the menu.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM

281 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Still the 10th Ward remains a last bastion of relative grit and interest... we'll see how long that lasts.
Hate to tell you, but one house on Carnegie Street has sold for more than $400,000, and another is under agreement for about that much.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:16 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer92 View Post
if Ya remember what I was like out here maybe 6/7 years ago I would like to be around those types.
The good ol days.

I would nix anything on the Northside. It is a prime gentrification region.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:30 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The good ol days.

I would nix anything on the Northside. It is a prime gentrification region.
"Anything" on the Northside? I'm pretty confident that Marshall-Shadeland isn't going to triple in price any time in the next decade. And without a business district, it's hard to imagine Spring Hill going through the roof, really ever. Stabilizing and remaining solid working class areas, sure.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
Hate to tell you, but one house on Carnegie Street has sold for more than $400,000, and another is under agreement for about that much.
Yikes.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
"Anything" on the Northside? I'm pretty confident that Marshall-Shadeland isn't going to triple in price any time in the next decade. And without a business district, it's hard to imagine Spring Hill going through the roof, really ever. Stabilizing and remaining solid working class areas, sure.
Agreed. My street has families who have been here for generations. They're not going anywhere, and the transplants like us are low-key families eager to fit in and be part of the way things are. The gentrification of nearby areas will slowly make home values rise, but the high proportion of owner-occupied homes and the lack of a business district closer than the Strip will keep things from getting too funky.

We were exploring Pittview Ave today, and I thought of this thread. It was the perfect place from which to look down on Lawrenceville hipsters, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh