Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Seems they are moving into the Fox Chapel Plaza later this year. What are they like? Seems they have sushi, is it any good? Salad bar? Is it super expensive. I know very little of this market. Anyone every been in one?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
We have one close by. It is expensive generally, not unlike a Dean & Deluca in NYC. My wife loves it. I'll pass because it's a pain to get out of their lot. But they do have great sales on meat on Saturdays. Also better generally quality produce than the nearby Market District or TJs. And depending on how badly they overstocked, I've found extremely great buys on great coffees there (e.g. Counter Culture for $6.99, when it's normally $15 or so).

Fox Chapel will probably love it.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
The Fresh Market, a gourmet grocer with old world ambiance, is well known for its fresh foods and meats. Its prices can be higher than supermarkets. Its products are good quality. Most stores are 20,000 square feet in size.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:08 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I find it very expensive so I don't shop there. I prefer Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but usually shop in the Market district. Maybe a bit like Balduccis or Grace's market in NYC from years ago

Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Just what that area needs, another expensive grocer. I know someone who works in the deli at the new Market District nearby and she has told me their business isn't as strong as when the store was just a Giant Eagle. Sure there is Fox Chapel nearby, but there are also a lot of lower and middle class residents in the same area. The closest "average" store for many of them will be in Shaler now I think.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:47 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I think that would be the closest for them. It bothers me a little that every grocery store now feels the need to be high end or as cheap looking as possible now it seems.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:57 AM

236 posts, read 251,143 times
As others have said, upscale, small, grocery store. We have one near us, and shop all the time for specialty items. Bakery is good. Ours makes a nice sourdough baguette. Also has a nice prepared foods section and we use that often. Salmon. Ribs. Chicken. Produce -- never impressed us, so we only buy there when necessary. Ours has a very small salad bar but I have never used it. It is expensive and some things are worth it and others not. It's nice to have it close to you to have that option, but won't replace your regular grocery store.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
As others have said -- it is an upscale market -- very clean with hardwood floors and a nice spacious layout and classical music -- with excellent produce and meats. On Tuesdays they freshly grind beef chuck and sell it at $2.99 per pound. When you taste it you will be amazed at how much better it is than regular ground meat. In our area they have Saturday specials -- good prices on their wine specials and some other bakery items as well as fruit. Their sushi is good when I have bought it -- nothing amazing but tasty and fresh. Some good items in their prepared foods but they need to be more creative. They have a delicious broccoli, kale and cranberry slaw. Their cookies are scrumptious and they have alot of unusual jams, sauces, marinades, chutney and specialty jarred items like Stonewall Kitchen. They have very good coffee and it is reasonably priced for the quality. They also have small free coffee samples in the store. All of their berries -- strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries -- are better than usual. A nice extensive olive bar with things like stuffed grape leaves. It will not be your "one and only" grocery store but it will be an asset to the community.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,291 times
Default Fresh Market

Fresh Market is a Carolina based grocery store. It is true that it is pricey but they also have weekly specials and deals that draw people in. We shop there when we are in North Carolina and I am definitely looking forward to shopping at the one in Fox Chapel. Give it a chance once it opens and I am sure you will find that you like it. It is only expensive if you buy all of your groceries there. They have many items that are not available elsewhere and their produce and meat are very high quality.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I live in NC. It's a pleasant place to shop because of the classical music, however prices are outrageous. I go anyway for the produce - it's fresher than our regular grocery store. Anything else is more expensive unless it's on special. They do nice special meat orders for the holidays as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh