Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
If people don't want to drive under those conditions, then they don't have to. Don't move to the exurbs. It's a waste of my tax dollars to expand those highways only to enable more sprawl. I want the bridges fixed.
What if your job is located in the "exurbs?" Also, what would you like us to do with the Airport? Shall we move it to city limits, then, since it technically is "Pittsburgh" International Airport...not "Exurb" International?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
What if your job is located in the "exurbs?" Also, what would you like us to do with the Airport? Shall we move it to city limits, then, since it technically is "Pittsburgh" International Airport...not "Exurb" International?
Many people never leave the city to think of these things. Hence they'll thankfully never have any input in the decision making.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,526,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I'm talking about the neighborhoods that'd supposedly get raped and plundered if the Parkway West was widened.
Nobody will be able to figure a way to widen that tunnel. It's not like you were the first to look at a map and say, "Let's make this bigger." Widening the tunnels is a political and economic non-starter and has been for longer than most of us have been alive. That's why, when they wanted to add bandwidth to the east, they talked about running road right through Hazelwood and the Southside, or if they forgot to let the drugs wear off before they talked to a reporter, Squirrel Hill. The Mon-Fay managed to do serious damage to Hazelwood without even being built.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Penn DOT does not maintain the PA Turnpike.

I agree that the Sarver area is next to really take off.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Quote:
I don't hear many people complain about getting to the airport. Maybe I just don't travel in those circles. I'm fine with that.

I'll definitely be more concerned about the millions of trips over Pittsburgh's ailing bridges... more so than whether or not some exurbanite is going to get rear-ended on the way to the Big City, because he's not able to confine his road rage to two lanes.

What if my job is in the exurbs? So what? Then I've chosen it knowing I will be driving against traffic... won't need three lanes for that.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Many people never leave the city to think of these things. Hence they'll thankfully never have any input in the decision making.
Says the guy from Cranberry... home to approximately 1% of the Pittsburgh MSA (since y'all insist you are a part of it). It's a shame for you that Cranberry doesn't have much say when it comes to what happens in Allegheny County. Less for more... I'd think.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Says the guy from Cranberry... home to approximately 1% of the Pittsburgh MSA (since y'all insist you are a part of it). It's a shame for you that Cranberry doesn't have much say when it comes to what happens in Allegheny County. Less for more... I'd think.
I don't think Cranberry/Butler Co officials care much about Allegheny Co.. They're doing pretty well for themselves, and with the help of being so close to the highway accesses, I can be to the airport in 30 minutes.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I don't hear many people complain about getting to the airport. Maybe I just don't travel in those circles. I'm fine with that.

What if my job is in the exurbs? So what? Then I've chosen it knowing I will be driving against traffic... won't need three lanes for that.
I guess you don't listen to traffic reports. I'm fine with that.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I guess you don't listen to traffic reports. I'm fine with that.
If you have problems planning to make your flight on time, then so be it. The existing infrastructure is quite sufficient. Why should taxpayers be asked to pay for your failings? We have enough real problems to confront. You think your inconvenience is more important than the safety of people who have to traverse our bridges everyday? That's pretty selfish.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
If you have problems planning to make your flight on time, then so be it. The existing infrastructure is quite sufficient. Why should taxpayers be asked to pay for your failings? We have enough real problems to confront. You think your inconvenience is more important than the safety of people who have to traverse our bridges everyday? That's pretty selfish.
Really, the only time I fly is for vacation. No problems making my flight. My original post was about moving the Airport to your beloved city, since it's currently located in the exurbs. We could have all that land for new housing plans, office parks, and chain restaurants/retail. We could call it New Cranberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh