Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
What the city should do is come up with regulations for new construction that would mirror a specific time period for neighborhoods. Old houses are bottomless money pits. The best thing to do would be to raze the eyesores and start over.
A house that needs $100k worth of work, but will be worth far less when the work is completed is a money pit. One that will be worth $300k is a good investment. Real estate is all about location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
I have owned and rented old houses. Constant upkeep.

I would hope that people aren't looking for investments only and are not into purchasing for the long haul. If that is all Pittsburgh is being built upon, then you guys are in trouble down the road. Remember, most people moved here 6+ years ago for the neighborhoods of the city. It sure wasn't for the economy.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:14 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:

I would hope that people aren't looking for investments only and are not into purchasing for the long haul. If that is all Pittsburgh is being built upon, then you guys are in trouble down the road. Remember, most people moved here 6+ years ago for the neighborhoods of the city. It sure wasn't for the economy.
I don't know where you are coming up with that opinion, but the evidence suggests otherwise. Why would you claim something like that? Were you even paying attention?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

People move where they have jobs, i.e., the economy.

Donora was a boom town when it was the most unlivable.

Other, perfectly charming little burgs in places like Potter County remain stagnant because there is nothing for new migrants to do.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
I know more college grads moving to DC from Pittsburgh than those moving to Pittsburgh for jobs based on salaries. A friend from Philly LOVES the city and seriously tried to relocate but was only offered positions that were $40,000 less than what he was making there. Sorry, but Pittsburgh doesn't have a rep as a big paycheck town.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
I know more college grads moving to DC from Pittsburgh than those moving to Pittsburgh for jobs based on salaries. A friend from Philly LOVES the city and seriously tried to relocate but was only offered positions that were $40,000 less than what he was making there. Sorry, but Pittsburgh doesn't have a rep as a big paycheck town.
OK... I understand. You are basing your opinion on a very limited set of anecdotal evidence. Just keep in mind that the national press was demonstrating (with substantial analysis of the facts) something much different from your personal perspective.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
My friend who moved here from NYC makes MORE in Pittsburgh than NYC.

Theory blown. (based on purely anecdotal evidence)

Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I technically made less moving here, but had a lot more left over in my pocket here too.

Put an offer on the house btw, so we'll see.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:50 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I technically made less moving here, but had a lot more left over in my pocket here too.

Put an offer on the house btw, so we'll see.
oooh, fingers crossed!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
All houses require constant upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh