Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 10:32 AM

141 posts, read 339,637 times

Advertisements

I made a photoalbum of all of the pictures that I took on the Wilkinsburg Vacant house tour and posted it under my profile. I met some really nice folks that seem to be very excited about the positive changes occurring in Wilkinsburg. It's sad as so many of these homes are too far gone. My favorite house is 818 South. It really isn't in that bad of shape at all and can be acquired by the vacant property recovery program. 831 Rebecca was surprisingly not in that bad of shape either. The back of the Falconhurst apartments look like they've collapsed.

Hope you all enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM

697 posts, read 778,153 times
Wow, really interesting. You can just imagine what it must have been like back when there was life in those homes. Some of those properties were so nice in their heyday. But yes, some look way too far far gone. Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 AM

598 posts, read 748,081 times
A very cool thing about google street view is that you can see the area's transition history over, what is now, about 7 years. For one, you could see how quickly (and sometimes violently) the nature takes over an abandoned property. While I believe that Detroit tops the list, we have our own cool places to explore right here in Wilkinsburg, and Wood st. is a great starting point.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4476...0070901T000000

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4397...000000!6m1!1e1

Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM

141 posts, read 339,637 times
I'm glad you liked my pictures. I would have taken more, but I wanted to stay on course with the tour. I really wanted to go into and explore the homes, but I'm sure I would have gotten into trouble. Also, many of the homes I saw had huge holes through the floors where salvagers and scrappers have removed the ductwork and radiators. There were many more homes I wanted to photograph, but I was pressed for time.

The homes on Wood Street and Singer Avenue had the most detail. Almost every home on Wood Street was abandoned. Very sad.

606 Mill (which I don't think I got a picture of the front of) was actually in great shape inside, yet is listed as condemned. This house had a lot of character and many of the original features left in it. It should not be condemned. 814 South Avenue was also in great condition as well. Huge oak staircase!

I met a lot of very nice people walking through the neighborhood. Overall, I got a very friendly and positive vibe being in Wilkinsburg. I'm glad I went on this tour and I hope they have more to come. It will be interesting to see whether the five homes they showcased will get new owners soon through the Vacant Property Recovery Act.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Thanks for posting.

833 Rebecca looks awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh