Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM

423 posts, read 628,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I sort of doubt it was arson of the property-redevelopment sort. I haven't read anything about any insurance and there wasn't any real movement I'm aware of trying to preserve the buildings. (If somebody does want to preserve the Poli building, I don't think it was hurt badly enough to stop them.) Plus, it was in the middle of the day.
The Poli building is coming down today, too: Squirrel Hill fire will force demolition of old Poli restaurant | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
Oh. I hadn't seen the reports this morning.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:08 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I sort of doubt it was arson of the property-redevelopment sort. I haven't read anything about any insurance and there wasn't any real movement I'm aware of trying to preserve the buildings. (If somebody does want to preserve the Poli building, I don't think it was hurt badly enough to stop them.) Plus, it was in the middle of the day.

My guess is that if it was arson, it was of the hobo not putting out his smokes right sort.
I agree--it would be too obvious otherwise.
I have heard a lot of stories about the old Poli's. My 85 year old neighbor used to go there on special occasions, first with her parents, then with her husband. She showed me some lovely photos of her wedding luncheon held there in 1959.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
....If it wasn't for the blazing inferno it could have been a block party.
haha!

Care to share the photos of the wedding luncheon, if she were to offer them? They'd be amazing to see.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 3,991 times
Has anyone ever heard that intersection called "the gateway to Squirrel Hill," as the PG claims? That's a new one on me.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhym View Post
Has anyone ever heard that intersection called "the gateway to Squirrel Hill," as the PG claims? That's a new one on me.

It's not something I hear people saying just in casual conversation, but the idea has been around for white a while among those who worry about such things.

http://www.shuc.org/documents/Forwar...inalReport.pdf

Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhym View Post
I never heard it referred as such to now, but it is the front door to the community when people arrive in the neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I had just gotten home from work when the news broke. Walked outside and watched the news choppers hover around the giant smoke plume. A fire truck was parked in front of my house and one of the other tenants asked me if I called them. I was like, "um nope dinner isn't burning tonight. It's the Poli building."

WTAE was all over it.

Had to head up the hill to Solway street for my aikido class and took Shady ave all the way up to Forbes. Traffic was pretty crazy and people were coming out of their houses and walking down the street to watch. I was glad to see they had it under control by the time I headed back home. That corner actually looks much better, even with the giant pile of ruble where the building was.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I never heard it referred as such to now, but it is the front door to the community when people arrive in the neighborhood.
There IS that sign south of the Murray/Forward intersection. Doesn't it say "welcome" or something? The area was sort of crowned "the gateway" by the Squirrel HIll Urban Coalition. I think.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:49 PM

I was just by the corner. It still smells like fire. I could tell even though I just left the Squirrel Cage. People are watching the demolition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: