Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Columbus is so awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 02:45 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Columbus is so awesome.
Totally agree! Columbus... birthplace of Rascal Flatts, Macho Man Randy Savage and Philip Michael Thomas. A Cultural Mecca!

Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
They do have an awesome zoo

Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
They do have an awesome zoo
A former boss told me she loved visiting her daughter there because the shopping was superb.

I'm packing my bags because of superb shopping - can never have enough crap in the house!

Old 05-25-2015, 11:49 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
A former boss told me she loved visiting her daughter there because the shopping was superb.

I'm packing my bags because of superb shopping - can never have enough crap in the house!
You sound like a single fella. Most women love to shop and the Polaris Mall is a haven for them...but it is outside da 'burgh so I get it.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:53 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
It is outside - certainly not worth traveling for and not enough incentive to move to another city.

Columbus has seen steady migration trends for decades. It didn't suffer one of the worst economic hits that our country faced - what Pittsburgh suffered, no other big city suffered with. Not Cleveland. Not Buffalo. None of them has the massive hit that the region saw. And the legacy of natural decline is still hurting the region, along with skewed demographics which makes some retail over look the region.

Reality is more complicated than City Data poster bumper sticker talking points.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It is outside - certainly not worth traveling for and not enough incentive to move to another city..
And that's your opinion. People travel to shop every day. Not everyone limits their world to da 'burgh.

I first went to NYC with a girl who just went there to shop for clothes. I told her she was crazy. Glad she did as I've been going back at least once a year ever since. It's a blast.

Who cares if Columbus didn't "suffer one of the worst economic hits that our country faced"? If people wanna shop or move there it's their choice to do so. Great for them if they can go somewhere they want to go to visit or live.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:07 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Instead of discounting people choosing to live somewhere like Franklin Cointy, it would be much more helpful to parse out the why. Obviously enough people find something appealing enough to give them an attractive migration rate.

Allegheny county had a negative migration rate (ie the popular argument of deaths outpacing births is meaningless as this stat only considers people moving in or out, not being born or dying) this past year. All the positive press in the world is meaningless if you're not attracting people to move or stay here, that's what allegheny county needs to improve & could probably learn a thing or two from other places.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Instead of discounting people choosing to live somewhere like Franklin Cointy, it would be much more helpful to parse out the why. Obviously enough people find something appealing enough to give them an attractive migration rate.

Allegheny county had a negative migration rate (ie the popular argument of deaths outpacing births is meaningless as this stat only considers people moving in or out, not being born or dying) this past year. All the positive press in the world is meaningless if you're not attracting people to move or stay here, that's what allegheny county needs to improve & could probably learn a thing or two from other places.
Bingo.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You sound like a single fella. Most women love to shop and the Polaris Mall is a haven for them...but it is outside da 'burgh so I get it.
It appears that Ross Park Mall is slightly more upscale than Polaris Fashion Place anyway. Here's a list of stores that both malls have:

Aeropostale
Aldo Shoes
Altar'd State
American Eagle Outfitters
Ann Taylor
Apple
AT&T
Auntie Ann's Hand-Rolled Soft Pretzels
Aveda
Banana Republic
Bare Minerals by Bare Escentuals
Bath & Body Works
Bebe
Brookstone
Buckle
California Pizza Kitchen
Charlotte Russe
Cheesecake Factory
Chick-Fil-A
Chico's
Claire's
Coach
Dakota Watch Company
Express
Finish Line
Forever 21
Francesca's
Gap
Gap Kids
GNC
Gymboree
H&M
Hollister
Hot Topic
J. Jill
Janie and Jack
JC Penney
J. Crew
Johnston & Murphy
Jos. A. Bank
Journeys
Justice & Brothers
Kay Jewelers
Lands' End at Sears
LensCrafters
Lids
The Limited
L'Occitane
Loft
LoveSac
Lululemon Athletica
Lush Cosmetics
Macy's
Miracle Eyebrows
Pac Sun
Pandora
Pink by Victoria's Secret
Proactiv
Regis Salon
Sears
Sears Optical
Sephora
Spencer's
Sprint
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
Swarovski
T-Mobile
Talbots
Teavana
The Art of Shaving
Things Remembered
Victoria's Secret
White House Black Market
Williams-Sonoma
Yankee Candle

Here's a list of notable stores Ross Park Mall has that Polaris Fashion Place does not:

Armani
Bacharach
BCBGMAXAZRIA
Brighton Collectibles
Build-A-Bear Workshop
Burberry
Crate & Barrel
Eddie Bauer
Free People
Godiva Chocolatier
Kate Spade
Lacoste
L.L. Bean
Louis Vuitton
Lucky Brand Jeans
Madewell
Men's Wearhouse
Michael Kors
New York & Company
Nine West
Nordstrom
Pottery Barn
Primadonna Collection
Tiffany & Co.
Tory Burch
Vera Bradley

And if you wanna play the Easton Town Center card, sure, let's. Easton Town Center has a Nordstrom and several more upscale stores that Ross Park Mall has, but it still doesn't have Armani, Bacharach, BCBGMAXAZRIA, L.L. Bean, Lucky Brand Jeans, Nine West, Primadonna Collection, Tory Burch or Vera Bradley. In other words, Pittsburgh has more upscale shopping options at one mall than Columbus has at two, so there's pretty much no point in traveling to Columbus to shop. Philadelphia, sure. New York, sure. Columbus, nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh