Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times

Advertisements

After 2.5 super fun years in Pittsburgh, we're being tempted back west by a job in Seattle's booming tech industry, and the snowy Casacde mountains to slide down in winter. There's only a handful of places in the US I'd move to from here, and Seattle is one of them. It's just too darn sunny here after all

It's been an absolute delight living here, watching a city transform and grow in front of our eyes. In no particular order, here's some of the things we'll miss:
  • living in Squirrel Hill. The East End is a superb place. Walkable. Full of parks, shopping, bars, restaurants. Fantastic stately houses and gardens. We've lived in a few fine places around the world but and the East End is up there. Very sad to be leaving out great little neighborhood and home.
  • Hills. Biking, running and walking are much more fun with hills. OK. a few are a bit steep, but in general the topography adds variety that I like a lot. And great scenery.
  • Food. The restaurant scene is energetic, full of great options and reasonably priced for the quality. From the pocket of excellent Asian restaurants in Squirrel Hill - Everyday Noodles is truly marvelous - to hipstery Lawrenceville and the fabulous stuff downtown like Meat and Potatoes and Sienna, this city is a darn fine foodie town. And it just seems to be getting better.
  • Beer. So many quality microbreweries have popped up in the last two years, its amazing. I could spend hours in Grist House, love Roundabout and one of my favorite IPAs ever is brewed in Braddock
  • The tech scene. It's still small by SV or Seattle standards, but its growing fast and there's super smart people here and arriving. It's an exciting place to be.
  • The bike paths along the river are great. I've spent many hours cruising those as well as the roads around town. It's a fun city to bike in, and getting better all the time as Bike Pgh is an excellent organization.
  • The Strip District. What a wonderful place. Food and produce, restaurants, silly souvenirs, people watching, we go there as often as possible. Penn Ave fish sandwiches deserve a special mention - I doubt I will ever taste better.
  • Downtown. It's vibrant, artsy, has great old theaters and seems lively every night. Dining and drinking options are darn fine
  • Sport. This is one the best sporting cities on earth. Period. I love it.
I'm trying to keep some project interests here so I can pop over once in a while. Pittsburgh is a city that I've been visiting on and off for 17 years, so I have a funny suspicion I'll be back a few times. I'd recommend it to anyone as a great city to live. And it's only going to get better.

It's been fun on here. I might read and comment occasionally, but promise not to haunt Kat-style. have fun kids ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Good luck, G! Keep in touch!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
I love Seattle too! One of the places I seriously considered, but the home prices were too high. Far lower than SF, but still more than i wanted to spend. If you can handle the grey wet weather for a good chunk of the year, you'll be rewarded with lovely summer weather. Good luck in your new adventures. Keep us posted.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Don't you ever quit?

Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Best wishes for a wonderful new chapter in your life.
I visit the Seattle area once a year; wonderful place, especially for young people.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I love Seattle too! One of the places I seriously considered, but the home prices were too high. Far lower than SF, but still more than i wanted to spend. If you can handle the grey wet weather for a good chunk of the year, you'll be rewarded with lovely summer weather. Good luck in your new adventures. Keep us posted.
The reward for grey wet winters is the deepest reliable snowpack in the US, which for serious skiers like us is a fine reward indeed. Life is all about trade-offs

Real estate there is a little mad, but like you said, not SF (or Sydney) style by a long stretch. So we can handle it.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Enjoy skiing in the west. I am obviously jealous. I have never been there, but feel I would like it. They seem to like to cycle out there, so that is a plus.

Keep in tough. We had lots in common. Let us know the differences if you could.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Sorry to see you go, but best of luck. Will miss your informed dining opinions.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 AM

618 posts, read 692,196 times
Best of luck! Sounds like an exciting move!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:03 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I will miss your posts. Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh