Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 PM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times

Advertisements

CaptainPittsburgh, yes I would hands down bike from Brighton Heights to downtown every day over driving to the exurbs every day. But compared to a quick jaunt on the 13, 16, or 17 it's a tough sell some days.

Norcider, I turn off Brighton at Hodgkiss instead of Woodland. It gets you off of Brighton a little sooner. I don't think taking Shadeland takes any longer than Brighton. It's probably even faster since it's relatively flat instead of up and down like Brighton. I'm sure part of my complaining is due to my road bike not having enough gears. I once tried to go North on Brighton from Woods Run and I couldn't even get more than a few dozen feet. I was only returning from Riverview Park, so It wasn't because I was tired either, I just lacked the strength to make my bike do it.

California Northbound probably isn't too bad, but being suddenly dumped onto what's essentially a highway onramp southbound has some real danger to it. Once was enough for me! https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4662...NOwnqSuVEQ!2e0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
California Northbound probably isn't too bad, but being suddenly dumped onto what's essentially a highway onramp southbound has some real danger to it. Once was enough for me! https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4662...NOwnqSuVEQ!2e0
That's not actually a highway onramp, you can't get on 65 from there, it just takes you to the intersection of California Ave and Route 19.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:
I've yet to hear anyone in the city mention bike lifts seriously, but I think they really would go a long way to enabling more bike commuters.

Quote:
Yes, bike lifts would be huge.

You do get used to climbing Brighton or McClure everyday, but it takes a while and a level of dedication that isn't for most people...for good reason.

If we could somehow get lifts on many of those types of hills, whoa boy. I bet our cycling population would triple in a week or two.

Alright I'm considering making a map of possible bike lift locations in the city and then posting it in a new thread. It's good to see people seriously consider this.

Here's a first hand look at how the
Danish do it. As you can see from the video, the system is completely encased inside of a normal sized curb other than the loading area and card kiosk. These things could be easily installed around here without having to make any of our existing streets even narrower.

I think we are definitely going to need to see a few of these implemented to really make people become serious about cycling as an alternative mode of transportation in this city.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:43 PM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Airwave, I look forward to your map!

I know that California Ave ramp isn't technically a highway on-ramp and you can legally bike on it, but I think most people wouldn't feel safe doing so, even people who regularly ride on other roads. Cars don't expect bikes there, it's a high speed merge point with cars trying to switch lanes over a short distance, and there's no escape route to bail on to the sidewalk or grass if you need to.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,796 times
Bike Pittsburgh | City: Bike Counter Data Shows More than 24,000 Trips in May on Penn Avenue Protected Bike Lanes

Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 PM

28 posts, read 54,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I was out last weekend on a family ride, along the river trails. I am not a roadie, but I ride all over on my MTB bike. Roadies for those not in the know, are the lycra crowd on svelte road bikes. The roadies on the river trails on average were riding at a much faster pace than is safe. I don't get this, if you are out to get a work out, there are miles and miles of city streets to get it on. Please, if anybody reading this is a person like that; slow down before you hurt yourself or another person. The river trails are multi use, it's not your personal velodrome.
My personal Experience from my Monday bike commute home from work. I hit the south side river trail a little before 5 pm. I go from station square to 18th street on the trail then, back roads another few blocks home. I average 10mph on the trail.

Before I got to the 10th street bridge, two cop cars were pulling off the trail (they had just drove up). I go down the small hill under the bridge, and there are two blind curves around the first is a silver toyota. I lock up my breaks and my back wheel kicks out and smacks its guys front bumper. My bike and I were fine, but I lose my temper and start screaming f-bombs at the car which is already driving away. They guy stops gets out of his car and tells me to quit swearing his family is in the car.. I lost my temper again and start screaming at him how he almost killed me and that this was a trail not a road. He says he knows, the cops just told him to keep driving and he didn't see me coming. I left it at that and keep riding.

Not 200yrds further was a blue cavalier parked in the middle of the trail with the driver out of the car talking to the crusties (train kids/homeless) camp. I got to 18th street, and a family of 4 is getting on the trail with two kids under 8y.o. I warned the father about the cars on the trail and decided to call the cops. While on 911 I looked around and couldn't find one single sign saying no cars on the trail, do not enter, etc.

I have had to avoid city vehicles on the trails before, but they were always crawling along and driving off the trails so their was room to get by. I still can't believe that their is no signage or gates to help make the trails safe, and a better option than being on the roads in rush hour.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:04 AM

664 posts, read 802,718 times
When you suggest "biking vs. driving", I have to assume you mean during the workday commute.

I honestly don't know anyone who can afford to choose to bike rather than drive if they:

-- need to drop kids off at school before heading to work;
-- need to pick up dry cleaning/groceries/run errands after work;
-- can't afford to arrive at work in a sweaty, grimy, disheveled mess.

I can only assume these people choosing to bike versus drive to work have very short commutes (certainly not coming into the city from Cranberry, for instance), tons of time on their hands, no children, and the kind of job where you don't have to appear professional.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
When you suggest "biking vs. driving", I have to assume you mean during the workday commute.

I honestly don't know anyone who can afford to choose to bike rather than drive if they:

-- need to drop kids off at school before heading to work;
-- need to pick up dry cleaning/groceries/run errands after work;
-- can't afford to arrive at work in a sweaty, grimy, disheveled mess.

I can only assume these people choosing to bike versus drive to work have very short commutes (certainly not coming into the city from Cranberry, for instance), tons of time on their hands, no children, and the kind of job where you don't have to appear professional.
I can tell you know very little about cycling by your response. Tons of variables that you are missing.

1. Most people don't need to drop kids off since buses come to their street and that is assuming you have little kids that need that much supervision.
2. If you are dealing with dry cleaning/chemical cleaning, then you need to dress in a suit and these days it isn't that common.
3. If you are in shape, you won't be a sweaty grimy mess and that depends on the time of year on top of that. Sometimes it is quite cold in Pittsburgh, just not the past few weeks. That will come to a crashing end soon. Also, if you ride slow enough, you won't work up much of a sweat.

Appearing "professional" depends on what kind of job you have. Also, plenty of time on your hands depends. I always beat cars going into the city once I reach Lawerenceville because they are stuck in traffic and I can go where they can't. Also, I don't need to go to the gym so I am saving time, not needing more time to workout. For the most part, people frown in cycling to and from work because of their own laziness. Most people are physically lazy. Look at all the fat people around. Cyclists are usually in shape and feel great all the time. Can't imagine having to drive around in traffic daily around here. What a miserable life that would be, but so many frowning drivers do it every day. No wonder when I look at them they look miserable.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:18 PM

664 posts, read 802,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I can tell you know very little about cycling by your response. Tons of variables that you are missing.

1. Most people don't need to drop kids off since buses come to their street and that is assuming you have little kids that need that much supervision.
2. If you are dealing with dry cleaning/chemical cleaning, then you need to dress in a suit and these days it isn't that common.
3. If you are in shape, you won't be a sweaty grimy mess and that depends on the time of year on top of that. Sometimes it is quite cold in Pittsburgh, just not the past few weeks. That will come to a crashing end soon. Also, if you ride slow enough, you won't work up much of a sweat.

Appearing "professional" depends on what kind of job you have. Also, plenty of time on your hands depends. I always beat cars going into the city once I reach Lawerenceville because they are stuck in traffic and I can go where they can't. Also, I don't need to go to the gym so I am saving time, not needing more time to workout. For the most part, people frown in cycling to and from work because of their own laziness. Most people are physically lazy. Look at all the fat people around. Cyclists are usually in shape and feel great all the time. Can't imagine having to drive around in traffic daily around here. What a miserable life that would be, but so many frowning drivers do it every day. No wonder when I look at them they look miserable.
Suits and ties are still quite common (and expected) among those of us in the executive ranks.

I assume by your response you haven't quite made it that far up the ladder.

Fair enough.

And yes, I am a cyclist. Yes, I'm in optimal health. But during most times of the year in Pittsburgh (and New York City), you WILL break out into a sweat while you pedal your bicycle.

No, I don't have time to go slowly.

And the bus thing doesn't work for all school children. You must not have kids in private school.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:53 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
I never see female bike commuters downtown. I'm sure there are some, but 'the vast majority are young white males. None are wearing business attire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh