Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:56 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times

Advertisements

I understand that a few of these places are new like Nordstrom's and Trader Joe's but other than that what is new, or is it just a Settler's Ridge style reshuffling? As a South Hills person, I am not sure what was up there before....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
What about along Forbes and Fifth in Uptown along with the new developments of the lower hill as the shopping district. Bring reasons to head over to that part of the town.
I generally agree with this - they need to create a shopping district there to get people to go. And I'm just not convinced that Smithfield will ever be a destination shopping area, as much as it is talked up lately. Although it would be cool to have shiny new shops in the historic buildings, like Penn Quarter in DC, it might work better as a district in the arena site with new buildings and a planned design. Otherwise I don't see much of a reason for that site to be very successful.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I ride the bus daily and I think that using Smithfield and Wood as bus corridors are a major deterrent. My stops are on both of those streets and I think it is still a problem. Nothing will ever look good along there as long as there are masses of people smoking on every corner and buses clogging the streets. Between the rundown/closed storefronts, litter, and the smokers, Smithfield Street is probably one of the most disgusting streets in the city.
Can't rep you yet, but this is the thing I hate most about walking downtown, the smokers.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Chestnut and Walnut Streets in Center City Philadelphia are "Premier" Shopping, and the both are Narrow One-Way going in opposite directions of each other, it's like an Outdoor Mall from Broad St to 20th ... This is what Smithfield and Wood Sts in the Burgh should be.
there are other lessons to be learned from Philadelphia. walnut started out as a restaurant row but night time and off peak traffic grew so much that retailers moved in. now, retail has almost entirely displaced restaurants since retail generally pays higher rents. many of the mom and pops moved up to chestnut which has seen its rents skyrocket. all that being said, big chains are not risk takers. they used established census numbers so there is a significant lag between growth of a population and their entry into a market. the article pretty much nails it in the first paragraph, it hasn't come yet. a real grocery store needs about 10k residents...downtown isn't there yet. there has been significant growth in both residents and visitors (hotel visitors count) and there's no reason to think that retail won't follow eventually if the night time restaurant scene, hotel stays, and residential population grow

Old 06-02-2015, 05:12 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
I haven't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something that has been said earlier. I think brick and mortar retail is going to become rarer everywhere as lots of shopping migrates online. There will always be a need to try clothes on and go see the merchandise you want to purchase, but with good exchange and return policies online shopping is becoming more and more the norm. I think areas with lots of dining and entertainment options and some retail will be the success stories of the future.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:59 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something that has been said earlier. I think brick and mortar retail is going to become rarer everywhere as lots of shopping migrates online. There will always be a need to try clothes on and go see the merchandise you want to purchase, but with good exchange and return policies online shopping is becoming more and more the norm. I think areas with lots of dining and entertainment options and some retail will be the success stories of the future.
I will never shop online although I hate shopping. I buy in bulk and have to touch and try on whatever I buy. I also like the interaction and customer service.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Yup, it's becoming an online shopping world. Very tough to beat the convenience.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I will never shop online although I hate shopping. I buy in bulk and have to touch and try on whatever I buy. I also like the interaction and customer service.
I like the idea of paying with cash money, something else you can't do with online shopping.

Although it is convenient and a natural way of doing business when shopping for books, music and other items with so many choices.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I like the idea of paying with cash money, something else you can't do with online shopping.

Although it is convenient and a natural way of doing business when shopping for books, music and other items with so many choices.
PayPal or debit card is as good as cash.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
PayPal or debit card is as good as cash.
I purchased by car with a debit card, but who wants to carry around $20000 in cash.

But I don't see how it is that convenient to balance a checking account with dozens of small purchases, just paying it and forgetting about it is more my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh